A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Spontaneous trunk opening

Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spontaneous trunk opening

I think there was a thread about this sometime back, but cannot find it.

Today I was at a meeting and security came in to tell me that the trunk of my car was open. I know with 100% confidence that it was closed when I left it. Any idea why it might just decide on its own to pop open?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have the key fob with the button to open the trunk, it can be caused by bending your body in such a way that the button is pressed against some object in your pocket.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to admit but this happens to me constantly. The combination of my wallet, AirPods charging box, and key fob in my pocket usually leads to the trunk opening, the car locking/unlocking, or the panic siren going off. Sometimes when outside, often when getting in.

I'm going to look for a hard key case to hopefully prevent it.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
If you have the key fob with the button to open the trunk, it can be caused by bending your body in such a way that the button is pressed against some object in your pocket.
Surely not when I'm 3 floors away!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

This has happened to me several times. The last time was last week when I went to a supermarket. I always park at the far end of the parking lot to avoid people parking near me. I had gotten something out of my trunk and closed it firmly. When I walked across the lot and was about to enter the store, I turned to look at my car (as I often do), and noticed the trunk was wide open!

I carry a lot of important stuff in my trunk (including photography equipment), so it could have turned out to be a big loss for me if I hadn't spotted the open trunk. But my key was in my coat pocket, and I doubt the trunk-lid button was pressing against anything.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clr1945
Surely not when I'm 3 floors away!
I have also had it accidentally get pressed up against my other keys in my pocket. Once it happened as I was walking away, luckily I heard the beep and looked back to see it open. But if I hadn't heard the beep, I may have just walked on oblivious to the fact that it was open... then come back to it and assume the same as you, that it just randomly opened. Obviously, it's hard to give a definitive answer to something so seemingly random.

I think the best ways to eliminate the variables is to get a hard key cover like wdimagineer said so that the buttons don't get mashed inadvertently.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

The buttons on Audi smart key fob is big and slightly protrude above surface. very easy got mis-pressed by other objects.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup. Seems like a common issue because of the trunk button on the key fob being pressed accidentally. It could've opened when you were walking away and you probably didn't notice it. The security guy might've noticed it later too and reported it to you.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has opened twice in the garage, more then likely an accidental push of the button since both times the key fob was in my pants pocket. Got to remember to remove the key when I get home.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thinking this might help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spontaneous trunk opening