A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 A4 New Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A4 New Car Purchase

Hello all - I'm new to the forum, but wanted to start by saying thanks for the info. This looks like an active and engaged community. That said, I'm looking for some help as I purchase a new Audi A4. I've never purchased a new car before, so this is exciting and I wanted to get some info from the group. I've narrowed down my search and found a car exactly as I want it equipped. Its the color I want with the interior. That said, do you have any advice for someone purchasing their first new car. Are there any accessories I should purchase? Anything I should double check in the vehicle before I sign for it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats!
What I checked:
I checked the colour/paint very closely - i found some glue from vinyl thing that's put on the cars to protect the paint left over in quirky areas.
I checked that all the plastic was removed
Owners manual
Grocery hooks in the trunk
The simple floor mats
Other than that... I can't think of anything else.

Accessories:
- Weather Tech floor mats - Where are you located? If you get winter where you are... I would definitely recommend the weather tech floor mats. They are freaking clutch. I was skeptical about the investment, but I'm really happy with it.
- I personally don't use Android Auto at all after testing it out initially. For a phone holder - see my post here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ution-2918134/
- Look into getting an OBDEleven - it will help out if you want to do service on the car down the line, but it will also let you do some cool things (check my signature for example)
- window tinting - get a good quality one

Others will have a lot more options like tuning, S4 like mirrors
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ahoop24
Hello all - I'm new to the forum, but wanted to start by saying thanks for the info. This looks like an active and engaged community. That said, I'm looking for some help as I purchase a new Audi A4. I've never purchased a new car before, so this is exciting and I wanted to get some info from the group. I've narrowed down my search and found a car exactly as I want it equipped. Its the color I want with the interior. That said, do you have any advice for someone purchasing their first new car. Are there any accessories I should purchase? Anything I should double check in the vehicle before I sign for it.

Thanks in advance!
  • Don't be afraid to back out if you don't like the terms of your deal.
  • Also, don't tell the dealership what your job is or your income.
  • Don't show your hand on the table. For all the dealership knows the car you "want" is actually missing things you want. For example, my wife and I saved a good deal of money because the car the dealership was trying to sell us wasn't the color we wanted. Keep that in mind.
  • Negotiate the price of the car, NOT the monthly payment. Your monthly payment can always be lower, but you wind up paying more.
  • If your credit is good, pay a down payment and then finance, even if you have the cash up front.
  • If you want to be taken more seriously, dress business casual when you head to the dealership
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My words of wisdom...Do NOT let them sell you paint protection...leather protection...carpet protection...wheel and tire protection...rust proofing...or extended warranties. The only option worth looking at is the Audi Care for about $800 that covers all maintenance up to 40K if you plan to keep it a while. I like mud guards and I suggest you buy aftermarket all weather mats like the WeatherTech from WeatherTech | Custom Fit Car Mats, Floor Mats, Trunk Liners, Window Deflectors

Congrats, in advace, of your purchase...you're going to LOVE this car! Which trim package did you select?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks all! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get. I do need the weather tech mats in the DC area. I'll need those ASAP for both the floor mats and the trunk. I'm coming from a 2011 335i which has them.

I'm looking at a Premium Plus, midnight blue, nougat brown leather, nav, sports package, cold weather package, dark brown walnut, ventilated seats. Debated long and hard between midnight and scuba, but prefer the look of midnight with nougat. Cannot be more excited to get the vehicle.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtatx
  • Don't show your hand on the table. For all the dealership knows the car you "want" is actually missing things you want. For example, my wife and I saved a good deal of money because the car the dealership was trying to sell us wasn't the color we wanted. Keep that in mind.
  • Negotiate the price of the car, NOT the monthly payment. Your monthly payment can always be lower, but you wind up paying more.
  • If your credit is good, pay a down payment and then finance, even if you have the cash up front.
  • If you want to be taken more seriously, dress business casual when you head to the dealership
Can you elaborate as to why we shouldn't tell them my job or income? I thought during the "financing" portion, they ask you those questions as they fill in the application and all. If they ask me and I say "I ain't tellin' yah." Why is the reason in doing so and they might think I'm hiding something lol
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Can you elaborate as to why we shouldn't tell them my job or income? I thought during the "financing" portion, they ask you those questions as they fill in the application and all. If they ask me and I say "I ain't tellin' yah." Why is the reason in doing so and they might think I'm hiding something lol
The finance application comes after you have already agreed upon a price. You can tell them once you have already reached a deal and signed the contract. That is when you will meet with the finance guy and fill out the loan application.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ahoop24
Thanks all! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get. I do need the weather tech mats in the DC area. I'll need those ASAP for both the floor mats and the trunk. I'm coming from a 2011 335i which has them.

I'm looking at a Premium Plus, midnight blue, nougat brown leather, nav, sports package, cold weather package, dark brown walnut, ventilated seats. Debated long and hard between midnight and scuba, but prefer the look of midnight with nougat. Cannot be more excited to get the vehicle.
Hey fellow DC resident here! You pretty much want the EXACT same car I have, except I was looking for a Prestige...which is much harder to find. I even had the same internal debate between midnight and scuba.

As for advice, when you meet with finance, they'll try to sell you paint protection, wheel and tire protection, gap insurance (if you aren't putting much down), AudiCare, and some other stuff. Decline all of it (except maybe the AudiCare).

And with all the salt all over the roads, all weather floor mats and an all weather trunk mat are a must.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kurtatx
All good advice except the second point, its not bad advice but its just odd to me. I've never been asked that question until actually filling out the loan application. Why would a salesman randomly ask you your income?

The last point is odd too. I hate wearing business casual anything. I enjoy jeans and a comfy t-shirt, especially if I'm going to be there for a while filling out paper work. I never had an issue, but I've also always made appointments so I guess that's an indicator that I'm serious? I also tend to just do all my negotiating over the phone, have them confirm our agreement in writing, put a deposit down (always make sure its refundable), and then set an appointment to fill out all the paperwork.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:14 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
All good advice except the second point, its not bad advice but its just odd to me. I've never been asked that question until actually filling out the loan application. Why would a salesman randomly ask you your income?

The last point is odd too. I hate wearing business casual anything. I enjoy jeans and a comfy t-shirt, especially if I'm going to be there for a while filling out paper work. I never had an issue, but I've also always made appointments so I guess that's an indicator that I'm serious? I also tend to just do all my negotiating over the phone, have them confirm our agreement in writing, put a deposit down (always make sure its refundable), and then set an appointment to fill out all the paperwork.
There's always an interesting balance at luxury stealerships where i) you want them to think you can afford the car so they take you seriously and don't tell you the demo cars all broke down and so you can't test drive a car and ii) you don't want them to think that you are so obscenely rich that you'll pay full MSRP + buy every damn protection ripoff they can cook up. Obviously, how seriously you are taken as a prospective buyer depends on a lot of factors, but I think many enthusiasts on forums tend to be younger than the typical luxury car buyer and have therefore battled this problem more.

Quick Reply: 2018 A4 New Car Purchase