AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Start Stop My story as a first time Audi owner (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/start-stop-my-story-first-time-audi-owner-2941365/)

Sperhacs 01-21-2018 08:25 AM

Start Stop My story as a first time Audi owner

So I bought my Audi when it very cold in late December. That’s when I took my test drive too. When I saw the WHITE A light up when I stopped I asked the salesman what it was an he explained that was start stop and what it meant. He said some people thinks it’s annoying and turn it off when they get in. I said it doesn’t bother me and bought the car. I started to drive it in the cold weather. Again the white A and not an issue for me.

And then it got warmer. No seat heat required. Little heat required at all. And then one time I stopped at a stop sign the GREEN A lit up. And then car restarted. For the first time apparently. A very noticeable shudder occurred when it restarted. So now that I really know what start stop sound and feels like I am no longer a fan. And I will turning it off.

VM 01-21-2018 08:36 AM

Have you driven any competing cars? When I was cross-shopping in April 2016, the competitors' start-stop systems were much louder/shudderier/jerkier than the one on the B9 A4...

The key to driving with start-stop enabled, in my mind, is to understand that it is triggered by how much you are pressing on the brake pedal. You can learn to modulate your brake application such that you don't trigger the start-stop system unless you want to...

Nostromo 01-21-2018 09:59 AM

I concur. My wife had a Mercedes and now Land Rover. They both are much jerkier.

Sperhacs 01-21-2018 10:01 AM

Thanks VM. To be honest I didn’t becUse Audi was always my aspirational car. I can now afford a bmw or c class but Audi to me is the right combination of German engineering and interior refinement, sporty driving (I have the sports package) and luxury interior. I will try your suggestion of hitting the brake differently. Just curious though. I’ve read 30 pages of this forum ( I’ve learned a lot LOL) and I was wondering what the consensus is- do most learn how to handle the brake like you, get used to it, or turn it off every time?

Mike60564 01-21-2018 11:00 AM

I modulate the brake pedal pressure.

SchwarzS6 01-21-2018 11:04 AM

IT was a little annoying at first but then I both figured out the brake modulation thing and I got used to it. Last night we were in my wife’s Diesel Golf Sport Wagon and I found myself wondering why the engine was not shutting down, I guess I missed the little shudder.

Nostromo 01-21-2018 11:22 AM

Just do what I do: as soon as I get in the car and plug in my phone for carplay I turn the auto start/stop off. Done. Boom.

When traffic is completely awful I'll turn it back on.

Also it won't activate in Sport.

kurtatx 01-21-2018 12:31 PM

Dynamic drive mode is right for you, OP. Personally, I like comfort or auto mode and I don't mind auto start-stop.

superswiss 01-21-2018 01:40 PM

jeffj2h 01-21-2018 02:54 PM

I was going to post that AutoExpert video But was beat to it. His opinion is the feature is harmless to the car, but has no benefit, and is simply done to allow the automakers to slightly game the fuel efficiency tests.

Ive had my A4 for 8 months. I usually forget to disable start-stop when I start the car, but once it shuts off once or twice I get annoyed and disable it.

To me it’s a bunch of nonsense and they should let us permanently disable it.