A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Start Stop My story as a first time Audi owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I would hate this or any car with start/stop. I permanently disabled it with OBDeleven..
Old 01-21-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffj2h
I was going to post that AutoExpert video But was beat to it. His opinion is the feature is harmless to the car, but has no benefit, and is simply done to allow the automakers to slightly game the fuel efficiency tests.

Ive had my A4 for 8 months. I usually forget to disable start-stop when I start the car, but once it shuts off once or twice I get annoyed and disable it.

To me it’s a bunch of nonsense and they should let us permanently disable it.
Use an OBD11 and disable it once and for all...that's what I did.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:43 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffj2h
I was going to post that AutoExpert video But was beat to it. His opinion is the feature is harmless to the car, but has no benefit, and is simply done to allow the automakers to slightly game the fuel efficiency tests.
My understanding is that the US government gives a 'credit' essentially for having start-stop, so even if it doesn't improve fuel economy in the lab test, the number that's used for CAFE purposes is adjusted to be better...
Old 01-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike60564
I modulate the brake pedal pressure.
I live I Pittsburgh where many stops are either on an incline or decline. I’m not sure I will have the opportunity to modulate breake pressure very often.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
There is probably some truth to what he says but that’s based on one car. If every car out there was stopping it could only help the environment. But I can’t stop thinking it can’t be good for your systems no matter now they are engineered. Not the mention it goes against fir me a life time of driving practice. Maybe it’s like seat belts. I grew up with them but my dad never got used to them.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know when I had my F30 335i, the owners manual did state that leaving the start/stop function on would increase wear on the engine, which makes sense.

I personally prefer to just leave it off.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Sperhacs
There is probably some truth to what he says but that’s based on one car. If every car out there was stopping it could only help the environment. But I can’t stop thinking it can’t be good for your systems no matter now they are engineered. Not the mention it goes against fir me a life time of driving practice. Maybe it’s like seat belts. I grew up with them but my dad never got used to them.
Yes, in the aggregate that's probably true. Somebody would have to measure the savings, though. This feature is convenient in Europe, where it is the law to turn off one's engine when stopped. You'll find signs at railway crossings, red lights etc. encouraging drivers to turn off their engines while stopped. It's mostly to reduce emissions in cities and improve the air quality.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

OBDEleven FTW. Shut it off completely.

It's useless as a means to achieve meaningful higher MPG. A couple of hundred feet per gal maybe, but miles, no way - not even close.

It makes your takeoffs extremely whiffed. Having hesitation when you need to punch it to get up in front or beat the wall of traffic to the expressway, it's just not worth it, IMO. It's really a safety hazard.

YMMV.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Previously my X5 was able to remember the off setting for the auto start stop so when I got my A4, I totally forgot to turn it off! That said, the first time it happened, I was surprised by the smoothness, it is considerably smoother than the BMW system (at least the one they used in 2014).

That said, turning it off is now a part of my daily routine. I wish it could remember the setting like the 2014 C7 A6 I had... I wonder why Audi got rid of this ability.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's why ppl keep posting about OBD11. With it you can set the system to where you dont have to hit the button everyday.

easy peasy

Plus,you can use for it other things, like getting rid of that crappy INRIX traffic system and go back to Sirius Traffic, once the 6mo Audi Connect ends. Thats was worth the price of admission for me. Sirius trafifc is loads better, at least where I'm at. INRIX was just late everytime, with the warning ahead on major highways. By the time i got em, i was stuck!

Quick Reply: Start Stop My story as a first time Audi owner