A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Stock Premium Trim Xenon Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stock Premium Trim Xenon Upgrade

I recently bought a Audi Pre-Owned 2017 A4 Premium. I opted against getting the Premium Plus since it was around $3-4,000 more and really was not worth it in my head, since I figured I would be upgrading the car either way. I love the car a lot, but the one thing I really regret having are the Xenon headlights, more specifically their color. I got so used to driving my old Civic Si with upgraded pure white LEDs and cannot get used to the more yellow color headlights on the Audi. I saw that Morimoto makes a 6000K Xenon bulb, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace. I've seen different threads where people say they need to replace the entire projector, do coding, etc., but I have not found a definite answer. Please Help!

D5S: Morimoto XB HID - HID Headlight Bulbs from The Retrofit Source

Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jackstawow
I recently bought a Audi Pre-Owned 2017 A4 Premium. I opted against getting the Premium Plus since it was around $3-4,000 more and really was not worth it in my head, since I figured I would be upgrading the car either way. I love the car a lot, but the one thing I really regret having are the Xenon headlights, more specifically their color. I got so used to driving my old Civic Si with upgraded pure white LEDs and cannot get used to the more yellow color headlights on the Audi. I saw that Morimoto makes a 6000K Xenon bulb, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace. I've seen different threads where people say they need to replace the entire projector, do coding, etc., but I have not found a definite answer. Please Help!

D5S: Morimoto XB HID - HID Headlight Bulbs from The Retrofit Source
Hi Jack,

I am interested too. My case is not about the colour.
​​​​​​I prefer more output (3400 lumen). I found a forum with a thread talking about the Morimoto but there's no info about how to change then in A4 B9 (I haven't been checking it for a while).

Here you have:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/195698-changing-stock-d5s-bulb/?page=9

Pato
Old 12-23-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PatoAparato
Hi Jack,

I am interested too. My case is not about the colour.
​​​​​​I prefer more output (3400 lumen). I found a forum with a thread talking about the Morimoto but there's no info about how to change then in A4 B9 (I haven't been checking it for a while).

Here you have:

Changing stock D5S bulb - Page 9 - 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

Pato
I think the whole process is just removing the cover and changing the light, though knowing German cars, it probably is more complex than that. I have to take my car to do an oil change soon, so I will ask about the different options. Maybe if I buy and bring my own bulb, they'll just install it for me on the spot. If not, I'll take it down to my normal mechanic and see if they can. It is a headlight after all, it shouldn't be rocket science to replace.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Sh*t-outta luck, I think. I saw different threads on here and other places that basically requires, as you said, a LOT of work. It would have made sense to get a bunch more features with the premium plus, including the headlights versus spending like over 1.5K or something if I recall correctly for just the lights.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm taking my car for an oil change, so I will ask about the possibility of them replacing a bulb I bring. Doubt they'll allow it, but worth a try. If not, I'm going to take it to my mechanic for my other cars and see what they can do. I would try and figure it out myself, but don't want to void the warranty or go through the stress of replacing a Xenon bulb.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
Sh*t-outta luck, I think. I saw different threads on here and other places that basically requires, as you said, a LOT of work. It would have made sense to get a bunch more features with the premium plus, including the headlights versus spending like over 1.5K or something if I recall correctly for just the lights.
Not really regretting not getting P+ since I will be doing many mods which would delete many of the P+ features. It was a completely conscious choice on my part, so I can't be mad. I know it'll be a lot of work to change the bulbs, but I know it has to be possible since the Audi Techs do replace bulbs from time to time.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you end up getting Morimoto bulbs for the HID upgrade? I also have P without LED and felt the lumens output isnt bright enough. I figured 35w should be a drastic improvement.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jackstawow
Not really regretting not getting P+ since I will be doing many mods which would delete many of the P+ features. It was a completely conscious choice on my part, so I can't be mad. I know it'll be a lot of work to change the bulbs, but I know it has to be possible since the Audi Techs do replace bulbs from time to time.
Hey Jack, I think people here are getting a little bit spun up about your request. I also have the Premium, as I wasn't super interested in more techy junk that could (and seems to regularly) break. Pre Sense City/Advanced, I'm looking at you. Like you said, the upgrades will be flowing, so no need.

What I assume you're asking is if you can replace the bulb within you current headlights to be of a brighter/more intensely white color? If that's the case, and you're happy with the physical headlight itself, that should be fairly straightforward. What you will need is an upgraded ballast, updated bulbs, and potentially some thicker gauge wire to replace the stock Xenon's. You should YouTube "swapping halogens for Xenon" and see what I'm talking about. People have been doing this since the introduction of HID's all those years ago. And, because you already have projector headlights, this swap should be an easy one for you!

And if I'm way off base, then forget I said anything and hit up yb28 (I think) -- he has apparently converted his lights to full LED's, and it sounds like it was a ton of work.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BeezySBaby
Hey Jack, I think people here are getting a little bit spun up about your request. I also have the Premium, as I wasn't super interested in more techy junk that could (and seems to regularly) break. Pre Sense City/Advanced, I'm looking at you. Like you said, the upgrades will be flowing, so no need.

What I assume you're asking is if you can replace the bulb within you current headlights to be of a brighter/more intensely white color? If that's the case, and you're happy with the physical headlight itself, that should be fairly straightforward. What you will need is an upgraded ballast, updated bulbs, and potentially some thicker gauge wire to replace the stock Xenon's. You should YouTube "swapping halogens for Xenon" and see what I'm talking about. People have been doing this since the introduction of HID's all those years ago. And, because you already have projector headlights, this swap should be an easy one for you!

And if I'm way off base, then forget I said anything and hit up yb28 (I think) -- he has apparently converted his lights to full LED's, and it sounds like it was a ton of work.
This can be more difficult in an Audi because the car measures the current flowing to the bulb. If the current is too low you get a bulb out warning. I lot of guys who try to swap filament bulbs or HIDs for LEDs get this error. If the current draw is too high I would not be suprised if the system assumes there is a short and shuts off the light. You also need to be a little careful about increasing the wattage too much, the insides of the headlight housing are plastic and stuff can melt. If it were me I would only do it if someone else has done it on this car and they were successful. I would not want my car to be the test case.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6

This can be more difficult in an Audi because the car measures the current flowing to the bulb. If the current is too low you get a bulb out warning. I lot of guys who try to swap filament bulbs or HIDs for LEDs get this error. If the current draw is too high I would not be suprised if the system assumes there is a short and shuts off the light. You also need to be a little careful about increasing the wattage too much, the insides of the headlight housing are plastic and stuff can melt. If it were me I would only do it if someone else has done it on this car and they were successful. I would not want my car to be the test case.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.
Been following this thread for awhile as I am looking to upgrade my D5S bulbs as well.

For those that can read German or use Google Translate, it appears there has been an owner in Germany that had successfully swap out the OEM 25W D5S with NHK D5S 35W without any issues/errors. It seems like the user had it installed for well over a year without any problems so far.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/xeno...50.html?page=9

I will be ordering Morimoto D5S this week and installing them in the coming weeks. Keep you guys posted

Quick Reply: Stock Premium Trim Xenon Upgrade