A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Strange sound from dash at speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound from dash at speed

Starting at about 30 mph I hear a strange sound coming from what seems to be behind the instrument cluster. The sound increases in pitch directly with increases in speed. Loudness also increases so that at highway speeds it's quite noticeable so long as the radio is down.

Hard to describe the sound, but to me it's like small gears, something like a clock drive or a barbeque rotisserie drive. Like a small "gearbox". Actually it sounds like what I imagine an older mechanical cable-driven spedometer would sound like. But these cars don't use such a thing, do they?

Also odd is that this is the 2nd B9 A4 that I've had the problem on. The first one (2017) wasn't quite as bad and I never did anything about it. When I got the new 2018 A4 I was certain I'd be free of that annoying sound but it's there and perhaps louder than the 2017.

I've searched the archives but haven't been able to find anything related. Anyone else have this sound? Many thanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same thing in my 2018 S4 with the virtual cockpit. I'm old enough to remember cars with a gear driven speedometer cable. The sound I have reminds me of a speedometer cable needing grease. Kind of a 'whirling' sound. I had intended to ask about it at the first service. If you learn the cause please be sure to post it.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's the sound alright. In my last A4 it was annoying but not loud enough to be obvious to passengers. This car, everyone can hear it.
I think a dealer visit is in my near future...
Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ImpellerCDN
Starting at about 30 mph I hear a strange sound coming from what seems to be behind the instrument cluster. The sound increases in pitch directly with increases in speed. Loudness also increases so that at highway speeds it's quite noticeable so long as the radio is down.

Hard to describe the sound, but to me it's like small gears, something like a clock drive or a barbeque rotisserie drive. Like a small "gearbox". Actually it sounds like what I imagine an older mechanical cable-driven spedometer would sound like. But these cars don't use such a thing, do they?

Also odd is that this is the 2nd B9 A4 that I've had the problem on. The first one (2017) wasn't quite as bad and I never did anything about it. When I got the new 2018 A4 I was certain I'd be free of that annoying sound but it's there and perhaps louder than the 2017.

I've searched the archives but haven't been able to find anything related. Anyone else have this sound? Many thanks.
1000% it’s the wheel bearings. Had the exact same sound coming from the virtual cockpit, something to do with how it’s shipped by train rocking back an forth? Took the tech 2 seconds diagnose it, seems to happen to a lot of people.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lawson Cherpako
1000% it’s the wheel bearings. Had the exact same sound coming from the virtual cockpit, something to do with how it’s shipped by train rocking back an forth? Took the tech 2 seconds diagnose it, seems to happen to a lot of people.
Interesting. After some searching I found the relevant threads and yeah that does sound a lot like my issue.

Dealer visit booked for Monday.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. After some searching I found the relevant threads and yeah that does sound a lot like my issue.

Dealer visit booked for Monday.
And.... fixed. Dealer tech recognized it immediately as a wheel bearing issue. They replaced left bearing but some noise lingered so they did the other too. So nice to have this fixed!

Btw the guy in front of me at dealer was having the same issue. Guess it's fairly common.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's the sound alright. In my last A4 it was annoying but not loud enough to be obvious to passengers. This car, everyone can hear it.
I think a dealer visit is in my near future...
I have the same problem in a 2018 s4 avant. Did you ever get it looked at? Audi are saying they can't hear it even though it's clear and I sent a video!