A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Stupid little green light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Stupid little green light

Sometimes when I am driving without cruise on a little green light appears under the speedometer – it looks like a foot lifting off the gas. The owner’s manual says it is to warn me to back off, that I am getting too close to the car in front. Usually the light appears when I am many car lengths behind the car in front and really serves no purpose. The manual also says it only works when cruise is not engaged. I don’t have adaptive cruise, so even with cruise on it might serve some function. The real problem is that it is sort of “crying wolf”, coming on when I am so far away from the car ahead then going out as I get nearer to it. I hate the stupid thing. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of eco reminder or award, like “nice job – you are saving gas.” My daughter’s hybrid has stuff like that.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I don't believe it has anything to do with the car in front of it, it's one of the "efficiency mode" notifications to help you be smarter about your throttle usage. There is a check box in the MMI to turn this off.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The indicator light I am speaking of is shown (as a green symbol) and described on page 102 on the 2018 A4 owner's manual (I use the online one).
The symbol and description are under the heading "Predicative messages (efficiency assist)". It says "Meaning: Remove your foot from the accelerator peal to slow down, because there is a situation ahead that requires a lower speed."
Odd thing. Of course, mine is a USA model, yours likely not.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
The indicator light I am speaking of is shown (as a green symbol) and described on page 102 on the 2018 A4 owner's manual (I use the online one).
The symbol and description are under the heading "Predicative messages (efficiency assist)". It says "Meaning: Remove your foot from the accelerator peal to slow down, because there is a situation ahead that requires a lower speed."
I believe you can turn that off:

Old 04-06-2019, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Exactly. It warns you of a change in speed limits. Usually more than or equal to 10mph, especially if you’re doing much higher speeds than the limit. It has nothing to do with any car in front of or around you. It’s been discussed in different threads including the A4 B9 subforum. You can turn it off if you want to. I like it so I’ve left it on in mine. If you drive with the VC showing the drive assist (or whatever it is called, the one with the car pic with two lines for road markings) tab, you’ll see written messages pop up asking you to reduce speed. Also in green.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's telling you it thinks you should slow down to help save gas etc... The other warning will be red and flashing the acc symbol saying you are following too close
Old 04-07-2019, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine came on the other day so I looked it up. It means there is something ahead that is changing that requires you to slow down. In my case I gassed it on a straightaway and the highway was ending shortly ahead and the speed limit was changing. I drive this highway everyday so I knew that. There wasn’t a car in front of me for about a mile. It probably uses the navigation etc to know what’s coming up. My
navigation wasn’t on. But it must be a built in feature.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Exactly. It warns you of a change in speed limits. Usually more than or equal to 10mph, especially if you’re doing much higher speeds than the limit. It has nothing to do with any car in front of or around you. It’s been discussed in different threads including the A4 B9 subforum. You can turn it off if you want to. I like it so I’ve left it on in mine. If you drive with the VC showing the drive assist (or whatever it is called, the one with the car pic with two lines for road markings) tab, you’ll see written messages pop up asking you to reduce speed. Also in green.
Ah, a speed limit change I haven't yet slowed for is likely what triggers it for me. It usually happens in the same spot where a 55 mph road goes down to 40 mph for a bridge. This is less than a mile from home and I usually do not have cruise engaged yet. I wait to slow since the bridge approach is a sharp uphill and that slows the car a lot at the last second before the actual speed limit change. I don't see the green warning light in other situations where there is that kind of speed limit change either because I have cruise engaged or because the road is flat and I proactively slow well in advance of the speed limit change (assuming I see a sign or know it is coming). Thanks, I think I can live with the green light now.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, speed limit change. I have a road I travel every day that drops from 55 to 45 (and is a known speed trap) and I get this every time. Also on the highway where it drops from rural 65/70 down to 55 as I get closer to town. It's triggered by the navigation database that includes speed limits.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

If you are looking for the setting, it's in the MMI, under Vehicle Settings called "Efficiency Assist". During the initial walk through the SA turned it off with a "bahhh… nobody wants that crap". Last time I tried, it popped up as I approached a hill that went from 100 to 80 at the bottom. Now I'm curious and have flicked it back on.

Quick Reply: Stupid little green light