A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Suggestions to help diagnose a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions to help diagnose a problem

I’ve posted before about this issue I am having concerning my A4 and how it drives on ice. I mentioned that it “hunts” with slight movements from side to side that gets worse with speed and it kinda creeps me out and is probably unsafe. So I am wondering if maybe a wheel is causing the problem. So hear me out. Back at 20K (I have 56k on it now) the car made a loud scraping noise from the rear passenger side wheel I believe. Before I could get it to the dealer, it quit. However since then I have noticed a squeaking noise coming from the same side of the car but only off and on and I can only hear it at 25-45 mph. So far I have not been able to get it to the dealer when the noise occurs, but it always comes back. Always.

Here’s what I am wondering. I seriously think that IF one of the wheels is dragging slightly on an icy road, would it make the car do this “hunting” motion? A wheel bearing maybe? Something is the AWD system? If so, what would I need to do to determine if this is the problem? I’m willing to pay to have them diagnose it, however it should be covered under the CPO warranty if they find a problem.

Is ripping the wheel assembly apart an option? I’m not a mechanic but what would they have to do and what do you think it would cost me if they tear it down and find nothing, and then put it back together? Or is there an easier way to determine what the issue is? Open any ideas? If there is an Audi mechanic on this board, what should I do? What would you do?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Dude, just bring it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. If its under warranty, its under warranty. The minute you start taking things apart, and possibly do some damage, you lose all credibility at the dealer. Taking it to the dealer was suggested multiple times in your other thread, I dont know why youre fighting this.

What youre doing is basically going onto a forum when youre feeling sick, telling people what you think your symptoms are, and asking them to diagnose you. Just go to a friggin doctor, especially if you have insurance.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Dude, just bring it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. If its under warranty, its under warranty. The minute you start taking things apart, and possibly do some damage, you lose all credibility at the dealer. Taking it to the dealer was suggested multiple times in your other thread, I dont know why youre fighting this.

What youre doing is basically going onto a forum when youre feeling sick, telling people what you think your symptoms are, and asking them to diagnose you. Just go to a friggin doctor, especially if you have insurance.
Great suggestion. Why didn't I think of that. Duh.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pdaugh
Great suggestion. Why didn't I think of that. Duh.
Your attempt at sarcasm isnt successful. You actually did ask if you should bring it to a dealer or take it apart yourself. When the correct answer is given to you, you get defensive?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Your attempt at sarcasm isnt successful. You actually did ask if you should bring it to a dealer or take it apart yourself. When the correct answer is given to you, you get defensive?
Here's what I wrote dude

" I’m not a mechanic but what would they have to do and what do you think it would cost me if they tear it down and find nothing, and then put it back together? "

Where does it say I am going to take it apart??

Sarcasm warranted
Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It’s ice. No awd car can consistently provide traction on ice. This may be more of a ‘reset your expectations’ thing...
Old 03-22-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
It’s ice. No awd car can consistently provide traction on ice. This may be more of a ‘reset your expectations’ thing...
That very well might be and I am considering that as an alternative. I've have not heard anyone on this forum or on a search on the web come back with this motion being described.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm with everyone else. Do you not have other/better things to worry about? Time is money as well.

Most shops and some dealerships have a flat diagnosis fee and some even apply that to actual work that needs to be done. If it is a safety issue have it done by professionals. It could be a sticky caliper, bad wheel bearing, any number of things that sound above your mechanical knowledge. Even an audi tech is only so useful over the phone. Take it in.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ve posted before about this issue I am having concerning my A4 and how it drives on ice. I mentioned that it “hunts” with slight movements from side to side that gets worse with speed and it kinda creeps me out and is probably unsafe. So I am wondering if maybe a wheel is causing the problem. So hear me out. Back at 20K (I have 56k on it now) the car made a loud scraping noise from the rear passenger side wheel I believe. Before I could get it to the dealer, it quit. However since then I have noticed a squeaking noise coming from the same side of the car but only off and on and I can only hear it at 25-45 mph. So far I have not been able to get it to the dealer when the noise occurs, but it always comes back. Always.

Here’s what I am wondering. I seriously think that IF one of the wheels is dragging slightly on an icy road, would it make the car do this “hunting” motion? A wheel bearing maybe? Something is the AWD system? If so, what would I need to do to determine if this is the problem? I’m willing to pay to have them diagnose it, however it should be covered under the CPO warranty if they find a problem.

Is ripping the wheel assembly apart an option? I’m not a mechanic but what would they have to do and what do you think it would cost me if they tear it down and find nothing, and then put it back together? Or is there an easier way to determine what the issue is? Open any ideas? If there is an Audi mechanic on this board, what should I do? What would you do?
Hey, I'm not a professional mechanic, so please take all of this with a grain of salt. However, I do work in the automotive industry, and can tell you that anytime an undiagnosed "loud scrape" happens over 36k miles ago, it's likely going to have some lasting effects. Here would be my suggestion to you -- take it to a licensed mechanic, and have them check out the following, specific things:

- Wheel Bearing condition -- this is likely what's causing the intermittent "squeak" in the speed range you're indicating. If it's speed variant, i.e., if the squeaking happens at different frequencies, I'm willing to be that's you issue. The issue you may have is that at highway speeds, you may not be able to hear it over road noise & it may be happening so quickly, it's indecipherable.

- CV Joints & Differential -- much less likely, but if you have a bent or damaged CV arm, or joints, this can cause a very similar condition to a bad wheel bearing.

- Brake Caliper Seized -- likely, you'd be smelling some burned up brakes after a couple of drives, but it is possible that a caliper is seized on one, or both sides, perhaps partially. This will also contribute to the "hunting" feeling you're describing.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss any of this further.

**Edit: About the cost of things, yes, a mechanic will/should charge you for their time to disassemble and reassemble something, regardless of if they find something. I'd guess the total labor to tear this down to the diff/wheel bearing, you're looking at 8+ hours of labor @~120-140/hr.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's what I wrote dude

" I’m not a mechanic but what would they have to do and what do you think it would cost me if they tear it down and find nothing, and then put it back together? "

Where does it say I am going to take it apart??

Sarcasm warranted
Nope, sarcasm still not warranted based on your initial query to take it to a dealer or not. Dude. Take it to a dealer.

Quick Reply: Suggestions to help diagnose a problem