A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

BG: Tail lights turn signal color change

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BG: Tail lights turn signal color change

Hi everyone, I'm new to both audi and this forum. We'll receive (hopefully) our B9 from the US until the end of this week.

However, we live in Europe and there may be difference in the color of the turn signals. We have the LED tail lights and from what I saw, on the back of the light itself, there's code saying the US version is getting 12V 6W thru the blue wire and the EU version is getting 12V 10W thru the blue wire (for the yellowish color used in Europe).

My question is - can I code the car to change the turn signal on the tail lights color to yellow and what is the option to look for?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by svgenov
Hi everyone, I'm new to both audi and this forum. We'll receive (hopefully) our B9 from the US until the end of this week.

However, we live in Europe and there may be difference in the color of the turn signals. We have the LED tail lights and from what I saw, on the back of the light itself, there's code saying the US version is getting 12V 6W thru the blue wire and the EU version is getting 12V 10W thru the blue wire (for the yellowish color used in Europe).

My question is - can I code the car to change the turn signal on the tail lights color to yellow and what is the option to look for?

Thanks.
You cannot simply code the Dynamic Yellow sweeping tunr signals on in US models sadly. It requires new tails and new wiring to accomplish this.
The following users liked this post:
FancyVW (12-31-2022)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fantasiamon, thanks for the reply.

1. From what I have read over the internet, the EU tail lights have one more wire compared to the US tail lights. Do somebody have a diagram? Or any information what is this wire for (the dynamic yellow turn or for the fog light or something else)? Where this wire goes to? The body control unit? At what PIN?
2. What is the coding needed? What are the differences between the EU and US codes, what modules you have to configure?
3. What will happen with direct swap from US to EU, e.g. if you put EU tail lights on american car without coding/re-wiring? What will work and in what way? (we'll soon find out, when we receive the audi)
4. In another forum, someone mentioned that the signal for the turn light comes at separate channel from this for the stop light, but inside the US tail lights they are connected (so the connection is hardware, not software). Any ideas if surgery is possible? Is the red plastic glued to the body of the tail light or unscrewing the strange (probably audi make?) screws will separate the two parts?

I see that some people are researching the topic to retrofit EU lights on US cars, not only because of export or moving to EU, but because of the better look.

Sorry for the fancy English I have, I'm not a native speaker, but I do my best good day to you all!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Below are some pictures of my spare (European) tail lights. As you can see it reads as follows:

inner tail light (or vice-versa; not sure about the pics)
B+BL (SAE) 12V/7W
B (ECE) 12V/5W
BL (ECE) 12V/7W

outer tail light (or vice-versa; not sure about the pics)
BL (ECE) 12V/10W
BL (SAE) 12V/6W

Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks.
You may get an answer to by using a UK based Audi forum such as audi-sport, there is a user on there called DJAlix who is top notch at programming and aftermarket updates...
Old 10-04-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schemes are attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ECE.pdf (477.1 KB, 1177 views)
File Type: pdf
NAR.pdf (475.1 KB, 872 views)

Last edited by sergey307; 10-04-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sergey307
Schemes are attached
Thanks! Спасибо!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! Спасибо!
As I understood you have ECE tail lights and if you would like to integrate them to NAR Audi you need just to recode tail lights by VCP (there is an application for A4 b9).

I am just wanted to try with these schemes to repin tail lights for brake light and turn signal separate working - if smb can help with this guide will be very appreciate.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest, I currently have left side NAR and right side ECE on NAR audi b9.

From the scheme provided, one of the lights is using 5 pin connector in ECE and 4 pin connector in NAR, so plug and play, or only coding, will not be possible. Some rewiring job is to be done for sure.

I'm worried that you will have to open the tail light itself for some surgery to separate the brake/turn signal on NAR.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys

Anyway of achieving this S5 style on our B9 A4?

The picture is from a European spec car so the wires are different. Can we not just unplug the light to the lower light?

I want this so bad for my car!!!

Quick Reply: BG: Tail lights turn signal color change