A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

BG: Tail lights turn signal color change

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R8ready
Hey guys

Anyway of achieving this S5 style on our B9 A4?

The picture is from a European spec car so the wires are different. Can we not just unplug the light to the lower light?

I want this so bad for my car!!!

Where you found these instructions? Link please. I have EU spec tail light in front of me, I can take pics of the inside to compare.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by svgenov
Where you found these instructions? Link please. I have EU spec tail light in front of me, I can take pics of the inside to compare.
I found it under the B9 section of obdeleven.

I'm sure if you google s5 style tail lights obdeleven you will find the link
Old 10-07-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Svgenov

Any luck???

Old 11-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by R8ready
Svgenov

Any luck???
Regarding your case - yes. Finally I had the time to play around with one broken right tail light from A4 B9 North America sedan/limo.

Here's how the C segment looks like originally:

Here's what you see when you remove the cover and disconnect the main cable. Obviously the arrangement of the connectors inside is different than the EU spec led lights for the same model. Its very tight and you don't have much space to work. Unplugging any connector besides the main one is impossible. Opening the taillight itself is also not possible.

For illustration purposes (and as this tail light cannot serve for anything other than this) I removed some of the plastic, to show you the connector you need, which again, is very hard to access on US tail lights.

There are six wires in two groups, each one consisting of one brown and two black wires. One group is for the stop light and you can see it going straight to the three pin connector above. The other group is for the C segment. I was sure the brown wire is not what I'm looking for, so I decided to cut one of the black ones, randomly. Luckily the third wire from right to left is what you need to cut (as shown). This is valid for the right tail light, I don't have a faulty left one to check. Below is the result.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Omg that looks soo much better! But it seems like you need to cut through the plastic of the tail light to access that wire.ughh

Is it possible to make that lower light (the one you cut to turn off) to be the brake light instead of the ugly one that its set to now?

I wish there was a relay kit to just plug and play to get that set up

Appreciate the follow up on this. Might give this a go in the summer time.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think I can wait till summer lol I want that A5 look now
Old 11-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No easy way to connect it to braking. If it was possible to dissasemble the unit maybe, but absolutely no as it is. Don't drill any holes in your tail lights! The one in the pictures is from collision and is even lacking the front red plastics. If you are super handy and find the right wire for the left tail light (may not be the the third from right to left as it is on the left tail light) you may succeed with very small wire cutter. Anyways, if you do it, which is highly not recommended, as you are risking rendering your tails useless, cut the wire in the middle as possible so you can reconnect after (will be a hard soldering job due to the limited space but not impossible).
Old 11-04-2018, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding your case - yes. Finally I had the time to play around with one broken right tail light from A4 B9 North America sedan/limo.

Here's how the C segment looks like originally:

Here's what you see when you remove the cover and disconnect the main cable. Obviously the arrangement of the connectors inside is different than the EU spec led lights for the same model. Its very tight and you don't have much space to work. Unplugging any connector besides the main one is impossible. Opening the taillight itself is also not possible.

For illustration purposes (and as this tail light cannot serve for anything other than this) I removed some of the plastic, to show you the connector you need, which again, is very hard to access on US tail lights.

There are six wires in two groups, each one consisting of one brown and two black wires. One group is for the stop light and you can see it going straight to the three pin connector above. The other group is for the C segment. I was sure the brown wire is not what I'm looking for, so I decided to cut one of the black ones, randomly. Luckily the third wire from right to left is what you need to cut (as shown). This is valid for the right tail light, I don't have a faulty left one to check. Below is the result.
svgenov,

did you manage to make brake siganl and turn signal working separately?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sergey307
svgenov,

did you manage to make brake siganl and turn signal working separately?

Thanks!
Completely impossible with NAR taillights. Ordered European ones. They have one more wire (5 pins instead of 4) /for the outer tail lights/. In US the stop and turn signal are one single wire. For now I have them installed shorted (pins 3 and 4 coming together). When I get the car from painting I will try to code it and add the needed 5th wire from BCD to separate the signal.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely impossible with NAR taillights. Ordered European ones. They have one more wire (5 pins instead of 4) /for the outer tail lights/. In US the stop and turn signal are one single wire. For now I have them installed shorted (pins 3 and 4 coming together). When I get the car from painting I will try to code it and add the needed 5th wire from BCD to separate the signal.
I suppose that it is possible because Poland guys are selling rebuilt taillights from SAE to ECE. Maybe solution is in adding one more pin and programing them to ECE.
I am not sure if taillights are different inside or only in wires from BCD.

Quick Reply: BG: Tail lights turn signal color change