TFSI S Tronic Clutch Bite Point

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TFSI S Tronic Clutch Bite Point

Hi All,

First time poster on the forums 😀

i took delivery of my 2019 Avant a couple of weeks ago - a “40 TFSI” variant (automatic). Very, very pleased with it 😀

I’m interested to know whether it’s “normal” for it to feel like the bite point on the clutch is higher than usual? I seem to need to give mine quite a bit of throttle (1200-1500rpm) before the clutch starts to release and I pull away - it’s caught me out a few times at junctions / roundabouts. I don’t recall the model I test drove behaving the same, but it was quite a while back and it’s possible I’ve just forgotten (I test drove quite a few different cars when I was car shopping and had a wait of nearly 3 months for a factory order).

My previous car was a C220D Mercedes, so quite different in terms of throttle response and power delivery. It may just be a case of getting used to it, but I thought I’d ask the question to ease my mind. It’s my first automatic petrol. I’ll probably put a call in to the dealer this week for some reassurance.

Thanks in advance!

Kelvin

Old 03-26-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

See https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ponse-2961159/

Seems throttle response/pulling away from a stop is somewhat universally disliked. I've had mine for a month and it's about the only thing I dislike. I often shift to S to pull away and then right back to D - helps a bit.

On a test drive, after nothing but manuals for 30+ years, I think "I hate automatics" were the first words I said, pulling away from a light. This seems to be worse than the typical auto. Dual clutch likely has something to do with it. It does feel more like a poorly executed manual transmission pullout then a typical fluid-coupled auto.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I should have used the search before posting - I did pick up on that thread after submitting this yesterday.

I'm pleased it doesn't seem to be an issue unique to my car, and it does seem like there's a universal dislike as you say. I'm not sure that helps particularly, it sounds like we're at the mercy of Audi admitting it's an issue if anything is to be done

It's fair to say I can live with it - I'll get used to it I'm sure, but it's markedly different to the pull away experience in my Mercedes. Once it's going it's fantastic and pulls very well / smoothly, it's just those junction experiences!