AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Thoughts after 1 year of ownership (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/thoughts-after-1-year-ownership-2953352/)

imashun3r 07-13-2018 03:16 PM

Thoughts after 1 year of ownership

I've officially had my B9 for a year now (2017 Premium Plus Ultra in Mythos Black Metallic exterior, and Nougat Brown Upholstery with Aluminum inlays)...and I'd like to share some things I came to love and dislike about the car during 12 months of ownership...

• Intuitive MMI controls and user interface
  • Substantial quality switch-gear and buttons on console and dash
  • Head-turning bold styling of the LED daytime running lights, and dynamic sweeping turn signal lights
  • Steering wheel design is beautiful and soft in the hand, and non-irritating stitching
  • Amazing chassis. Very little body roll when taking on corners and stable at high speeds
  • Amazing B&O 3D sound system with highly adjustable custom audio settings
  • Quiet cabin even at highway speeds
  • Thoughtful touches like the up-ward pulling door-handles (opening standard door handles on other vehicles now feels awkward to me); touch-sensitive rocker dials on the temperature controls and front seat map lights.
  • Audio alert that my smartphone is still in the vehicle when exiting (this is so incredibly useful)
  • LOVE how the sun-visors up front can telescope and extend
  • Highly adjustable head-restraint and center console armrest
  • A/C system is really effective and cools the car down really quickly on hot day
  • Ambient cabin lighting is a lovely feature...really wish the color-changing option only reserved for Prestige was a separate add-on on lower trim levels...
  • The first few weeks, I had regrets of going with the Nougat Brown interior (thought I should have played it safe with black), but after a year, I am completely confident I made the right choice. It adds so much warmth and sophistication to the interior and get compliments on it all the time.
DISLIKE
  • Cheap plastic door armrests. Why these aren’t at least upholstered in vinyl (faux leather) is beyond me. What’s there feels more appropriate for an economy-class car...feels like it should be a standard feature and not just for the Prestige trim.
  • Hard-plastic center console side trim (ow, my knees). Again, why is this only reserved for Prestige?...cheapens the feel of the car, I think.
  • Hard plastic seat-backs. Complaints from passengers in the back that have their knees pressed up against this during long drives.
  • Standard seats are okay on comfort for shorter commutes, but long drives become uncomfortable due to stiff padding. I felt like my 2004 Acura TSX had better seats, though.
  • Numb-steering and low driver engagement, even when set to dynamic or individual mode. Feels like I’m driving a motion simulator.
  • Start/Stop system is way too aggressive and vibrates the vehicle noticeably when switching on and off.
  • The bizarre “ticking/clicking” noise of the ABS check when the vehicle first reaches 25-30 mph with every drive.
  • Find it odd that the center console armrest doesn’t close completely over the storage bin, and leaves an open gap.
  • 3-level heated front seat settings are bizarre. Lowest setting does nothing. Medium setting you can just barely feel the heat. Maximum setting will burn your thighs.
  • Not much notable difference between the different Drive Select modes.
  • Glove compartment door feels really cheap, light, and flimsy when opened and closed.
Other Notes
  • Wish I had gone with Quattro. It rains maybe 5 days out of the year in LA, where I live, so I didn’t find it necessary to have all wheel drive in the car, and felt like it was a good way to cut some costs off the car. However, there are times where I will accelerate out of a red light, and the car doesn’t seem to have enough grip, tires screeching as it comes out of a stop. The extra grip from all four corners would have made the car much more capable, even in dry road conditions. Will be sure I equip the next one I drive with Quattro.
  • After a few months in the car, I wish I had considered choosing a vehicle equipped with the Driver Assistance features. The blind-spot monitoring, lane keep assist, cross-traffic alert with exit assist, and adaptive cruise control are all features would have definitely been in use on my daily commute around Los Angeles.

lowjdml 07-13-2018 05:22 PM

Learn something new every day. =
  • LOVE how the sun-visors up front can telescope and extend - I've read the owner's manual and totally missed this!
Aren't many traffic jams where I live but I got DAP specifically for traffic jam assist in Los Angeles traffic!
Well done summary of the A4.
  • Wish I had gone with Quattro. It rains maybe 5 days out of the year in LA, where I live, so I didn’t find it necessary to have all wheel drive in the car, and felt like it was a good way to cut some costs off the car. However, there are times where I will accelerate out of a red light, and the car doesn’t seem to have enough grip, tires screeching as it comes out of a stop. The extra grip from all four corners would have made the car much more capable, even in dry road conditions. Will be sure I equip the next one I drive with Quattro. - Wondering if this is more on the tires than FWD? After my first Subaru, AWD is a must have.

VM 07-13-2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by imashun3r (Post 25179442)
  • Find it odd that the center console armrest doesn’t close completely over the storage bin, and leaves an open gap.

I think the idea was that the space below the armrest would be used mostly for a smartphone, so this way you can plug in/unplug the smartphone without needing to open a closed storage compartment...

That being said, I tend to agree that they got it wrong and it feels cheap compared to a more traditional closed design.

Nostromo 07-13-2018 08:06 PM

I concur with your list. LA here too: yup, stomping on the gas in a quattro is a LOT different than FWD. I've had both over the years. Next time get it, you'll never go back.

Nowhere good to store sunglasses except that little shelf in front of the cupholders....

Overall no real complaints. Zero check engine lights!

SFV A4 07-13-2018 09:34 PM

Excellent write-up. These are very helpful.
I have always wondered why Audi does not allow one to close the center console all the way. I think that would be a major attraction to thieves, who can easily peek in and get tempted. Even with nothing visible inside, it is still an added draw to "come on in and see." All cars should include enclosed bins.
Don't beat yourself up over the Quattro thing. You have to look at the whole picture. So you may chirp the tires once a month, probably less. But every single time you drive, you are saving gas. And every month you are saving on your monthly payment. I think it's a worthwhile trade-off, especially in dry climates like L.A. Good choice.

Versprechen 07-14-2018 12:01 AM

Nice write up but how is the center console trim different on the Prestige? Mine's hard plastic too although it doesn't bother me.

Donald Bruno 07-14-2018 04:35 AM

I have the same model..and I don't get any alert when I leave my phone in car....does the phone have to be plugged in for that to work ?

jjcampnr 07-14-2018 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nostromo (Post 25179555)
Nowhere good to store sunglasses except that little shelf in front of the cupholders....

I put mine in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel in the dash. Seems to perfectly fit my glasses in their case.

alexdsheff 07-14-2018 05:47 AM

I agree with most of your points here. On some of the dislikes, I'd like to offer a differing opinions.

While it is strange that the door armrests and center console are not standard leatherette, it is available as part of the black optics package (which I personally would not get a car without due to my design tastes).

For storing my phone in the center console while driving, I think it's perfect. I wouldn't want to have to lift it up ever time I get in the car. I just plug my phone in and slide it in there.

I agree that with the drive modes only changing the transmission and steering, there's not much to notice in terms of difference between modes. However, the steering feel between comfort and dynamic is night and day to me. While dynamic still isn't great from a feeling perspective, navigating tight city spaces or parking lots is much easier with lighter steering. Just as I prefer dynamic for driving on winding back roads when I want to have fun.

Overall great write up! It was great to hear someone's detailed thoughts after having the car for a while.

JDA_yeg 07-14-2018 08:31 AM

Yeah, the armrest and center console in other markets come with the leatherette, without the need for a black optics package. It's like a market specific thing and AUDI NA decided not to add it on for some damn reason. It makes a huge difference in the quality and stitching just makes the car look fancy.