A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Thoughts from a TT/A6/A8 driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
My 2016 Macan S was more refined/higher quality than my Allroad.
Than a B9 Allroad? No way. Not with those 57 buttons all over the center console and antiquated looking "infotainment" controls. I'll admit the fit & finish of Porsche interiors has improved greatly in the last decade, but they certainly haven't surpassed Audi's quality, fitment, and most of all aesthetic design.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by volcomic
Than a B9 Allroad? No way. Not with those 57 buttons all over the center console and antiquated looking "infotainment" controls. I'll admit the fit & finish of Porsche interiors has improved greatly in the last decade, but they certainly haven't surpassed Audi's quality, fitment, and most of all aesthetic design.
Yep, my B9 Allroad - which in total is the car that best suits what I want in a car/wagon/CUV.
I like those Porsche cockpit type buttons and after you become acquainted with it, they are intuitive and I like the look of those other controls - even that in the center of dash analog clock - but that's simply and purely personal preference. And here is one design on the Audi's that I think is pretty poor aesthetically and cheapens the look and this is that MMI screen placement - though very functional, it looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought, not smoothly placed/incorporated into the dash - lower model MB's have the same thing.The Macan seats were more comfortable/supportive and IIRC, the leather a better quality, however the base sound system on my Macan was poor compared to B&O system in the A4 which I think is excellent. Both cars are solid feeling. There are also a zillion more options on the Macans instead of the relatively few on the A4's. I did not have the time - only had the Macan a few months, to really discern the differences but all in all the Macan was to my mind a higher quality vehicle - and it better be as the base S model is easily 10k over the loaded A4 Prestige. I like the basic design of each car, though they are very different, but the Macan still turns my head every time I see one.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Yep, my B9 Allroad - which in total is the car that best suits what I want in a car/wagon/CUV.
I like those Porsche cockpit type buttons and after you become acquainted with it, they are intuitive and I like the look of those other controls - even that in the center of dash analog clock - but that's simply and purely personal preference. And here is one design on the Audi's that I think is pretty poor aesthetically and cheapens the look and this is that MMI screen placement - though very functional, it looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought, not smoothly placed/incorporated into the dash - lower model MB's have the same thing.The Macan seats were more comfortable/supportive and IIRC, the leather a better quality, however the base sound system on my Macan was poor compared to B&O system in the A4 which I think is excellent. Both cars are solid feeling. There are also a zillion more options on the Macans instead of the relatively few on the A4's. I did not have the time - only had the Macan a few months, to really discern the differences but all in all the Macan was to my mind a higher quality vehicle - and it better be as the base S model is easily 10k over the loaded A4 Prestige. I like the basic design of each car, though they are very different, but the Macan still turns my head every time I see one.
I agree about the Macan S, but Porsche options are so expensive that the car would be roughly $70k MSRP in the moderately equipped trim that I considered. Ultimately, I went for an S5 SB instead, which offers close to as much utility, but saves $5-7k and has lower maintenance costs. Also, I did not want to wait until late summer or early fall for the refreshed 2019 to be released.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

one design on the Audi's that I think is pretty poor aesthetically and cheapens the look and this is that MMI screen placement - though very functional, it looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought, not smoothly placed/incorporated into the dash.

the Macan still turns my head every time I see one.
I have definitely heard that opinion about the MMI screen from quite a few people, so you're not alone there. I personally like how it looks, but more importantly where it it in relation to my field of view. I'm not sure there's any way to have it up that high and still have it built in to the dash. On the same note, I always hated the recessed MMI screen in the B8/B8.5 with all of the blank black plastic around the screen itself inside of the recess, and the cheap looking plastic trim on the outside of the recess.

The Macan exterior is pure sex.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by marz1

They felt the same except for the diamond knurling volume/menu up and down buttons.
I have not even sat in a Bentley let alone drove one, so I can't comment on power/acceleration/transmission smoothness, etc. just gaze up close when Paul Miller Bentley is showcasing one at the Short Hills Mall near me. But that dash pictured here is a whole lot more elegant looking than mine is and it better be at 4 or more times the price of the A4. I simply don't believe that the materials used and fit and finish on the A4 is better than a Bentley. I'm the Audi showrooms checking out all the cars and the A8's interior (and exterior) is a way higher quality than the A4 and again at 90 to 125k it sure better be. Not a knock against Audi's A4 but that's one tall order to fill.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
I agree about the Macan S, but Porsche options are so expensive that the car would be roughly $70k MSRP in the moderately equipped trim that I considered. Ultimately, I went for an S5 SB instead, which offers close to as much utility, but saves $5-7k and has lower maintenance costs. Also, I did not want to wait until late summer or early fall for the refreshed 2019 to be released.
I agree and made mention of the way higher price an accessorized Macan (and every Porsche for that matter) is. It's simply a different level of car.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I simply don't believe that the materials used and fit and finish on the A4 is better than a Bentley. I'm the Audi showrooms checking out all the cars and the A8's interior (and exterior) is a way higher quality than the A4
I've frequently been in and/or around all of the cars discussed so far (and to add to the discussion, Lamborghini's), and am just not seeing the same difference in fit & finish as you apparently see. For example; my "2005.5" B7 A4 had extremely similar climate control buttons and *****, and identical RNSE navigation unit as the Lamborghini Gallardo until the end of its production in 2014. Even a base model A4 has real aluminum trim, aluminum buttons/switches, equal or better displays and interface than any car mentioned so far. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini,and Porsche, are all the same company, and share a lot more parts than people seem to realize. The interiors of these brands are all nearly identical in fit & finish, with Audi leading the pack in design IMO.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
After all, they both are VW group companies. Looks they are sharing designs as well as some materials/components.
LOL I know they belong to VAG and thus share the same buttons/stalks etc. I was wondering if there was a difference in feel though. Hehe.

Originally Posted by marz1
They felt the same except for the diamond knurling volume/menu up and down buttons.
Damn. I mean. In a 40-60k car that would be fine. But in a 200k car. Hmmm. The buttons are a bit too clicky (idk how to explain it but it feels hard and not very refined unlike the steering wheel buttons in the X3 which feels better to press.)