A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Throttle Lag

Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
I bought this and it helped tremendously. https://www.pedalbox.com/us/audi/a4-.../pedalbox.html
Why don’t you just use S mode then. You will get much better response in S rather than D.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I felt the lag initially. Tried different fuels and swear by Shell V-Power 93 now. Won’t use any other fuels. Don’t feel obvious lag even in D. Seldomly use S now.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a post that the power modules are detectable. Anyone been to the dealer recently who had one installed?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nchiarel
I've read a post that the power modules are detectable. Anyone been to the dealer recently who had one installed?
I've been to multiple dealers many times since installing the pedalbox. Every time they ask what it is and say that it "might go against warranty" blah blah but you just need to emphasize it doesn't affect the car's coding or anything. Never been charged or given an issue otherwise.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is a rather old thread. I've had cars with manual gearboxes all of my life. Last December, I bought a 2018 Allroad. I am having some really tough growing pains. I like most of the bells and whistles on the car, but the engine and geabox, I hate. The throttle response is pathetic. I know from my experience with a VR6 Jetta MT6 and A4 MT6 that I can get away from a full stop much faster than my current car. I really want to push on the accelerator pedal and have something happen. This car really leaves me quite disappointed and I am in desperate need of a solution. I don't want to turn this into a gripe session about my car, like @@Robindubois I am pretty darn disappointed in the performance of this car. For me, S mode really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Regular D mode stinks too. I've tried all of the options and am still left feeling disappointed. I've driven some good old American V8s in the seventies and I really can't remember them feeling anything like this.

So, will this throttle controller really make a difference? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ossodiseppia
I realize this is a rather old thread. I've had cars with manual gearboxes all of my life. Last December, I bought a 2018 Allroad. I am having some really tough growing pains. I like most of the bells and whistles on the car, but the engine and geabox, I hate. The throttle response is pathetic. I know from my experience with a VR6 Jetta MT6 and A4 MT6 that I can get away from a full stop much faster than my current car. I really want to push on the accelerator pedal and have something happen. This car really leaves me quite disappointed and I am in desperate need of a solution. I don't want to turn this into a gripe session about my car, like @@Robindubois I am pretty darn disappointed in the performance of this car. For me, S mode really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Regular D mode stinks too. I've tried all of the options and am still left feeling disappointed. I've driven some good old American V8s in the seventies and I really can't remember them feeling anything like this.

I went through the same growing pains, and to be honest, even after close to a year, I'm still not completely satisfied with it. The pedalbox does make a difference though. I would say maybe 30% improvement. There's different settings that you can adjust, but you're never going to get the same response as a traditional CVT
Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Sprint Booster in my A4 B9 Quattro and it pretty much eliminates the turbo lag. It makes the car SO much more fun. I'd never own a car without one. I pop it out when I take the car in for service- takes 5 minutes and no tools.

https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRAU036
Old 08-16-2018, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried the reset throttle map trick (push accelerator down with car off, keep it down while pressing start button without starting engine, turn off)? It works for me, it usually takes 1-2 weeks before the throttle map reverts to that anemic feeling when you floor it and nothing happens for a full second. I simply repeat this process, it works and it's free.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The lag that everyone is feeling is a mix of the DSG transmission, the shift mapping and the turbo all together. There isn't a magic solution to this but driving in Sport mode will help with some of it as a quick solution. The next step would be a DSG Transmission Tune. While it won't fix all of the lag I found that it helped on my previous DSG TDI Jetta SportWagen quite a bit and am thinking of potentially getting the B9 Allroad tuned as well. I believe APR is the only current tune for the b9 and they also have a DSG tune to go along with it. I was Malone (TDI Tuner) Stage 1.5 w/DSG Tune on the Sportwagen. Changed the whole car.

Now i know that's not an answer for everyone unfortunately but like previous posters pointed out the tranny mapping from the factory is there to maximize fuel economy in D more than anything else.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
I believe APR is the only current tune for the b9 and they also have a DSG tune to go along with it.
Unfortunately they don't have a DSG tune for the B9 A4 yet. They recently released a DSG tune for the RS3 though. I guess they don't think the DSG tune for the A4 would sell enough to warrant it. IDK. Since they already cracked the A4 ecu I don't see why not.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 08-16-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Lag