AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Tire rotation uh oh. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/tire-rotation-uh-oh-2974349/)

bob m 06-18-2019 08:04 AM

Tire rotation uh oh.

I just brought my Allroad to Audi for the 30k service and on the way out picked up one of their brochures - this one on tire rotation. Since my AR has Quatro Ultra - the tire rotation (every 5k) is back to front and front tires crossed to back. On standard Quatro it's front to back and rear tires crossed to front. What the heck? I have been doing straight front to back and back to front forever. At this point with about 25k already on my tires I wouldn't even know where to begin getting back on track.

Burrcold 06-18-2019 08:35 AM

Are you seeing any uneven wear? If not, just get on the normal schedule now. No big deal.

Bestcar17 06-18-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by bob m (Post 25331741)
I just brought my Allroad to Audi for the 30k service and on the way out picked up one of their brochures - this one on tire rotation. Since my AR has Quatro Ultra - the tire rotation (every 5k) is back to front and front tires crossed to back. On standard Quatro it's front to back and rear tires crossed to front. What the heck? I have been doing straight front to back and back to front forever. At this point with about 25k already on my tires I wouldn't even know where to begin getting back on track.

Not sure what tire you have, But the Pirelli P-zero mounted on my A4 are unidirectional tires installed/used on one side of the vehicle and are intended to be rotated from the front axle to the rear axle etc

dbias 06-18-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by bob m (Post 25331741)

I wouldn't sweat it. I only do front to back too, on everything I own.

HyperS4 06-18-2019 11:22 AM

So, tire rotation IMHO is severely dependent on where you live. Since I see you live in NJ, I would comply with the criss-cross tire rotation strategy because of all the right-hand on/off ramps wearing down the left side tires quicker. If you lived in Nebraska where every road is completely straight, I would just do front to back.

PghRich 06-18-2019 02:21 PM

You should be much more worried about the directional/asymmetrical tread design than the side of the off-ramp. Swapping a directional tire to the opposite side of the car will be pumping rain water right into the middle of the tire, rather than away, trying as hard as you can to cause aquaplaning.

I've driven ramps at pretty high speeds for many years, and have never noticed an effect anywhere near the small alignment variations that actually cause excessive wear. Toe and camber cause forces/wear on the tire with every single rotation, not the 40 seconds a day you are on a ramp.

There's no need to get back "on track". If you have symmetric, omnidirectional tires, follow the guidance if you wish. Or just continue front to back, as you should with any other type of tire.

HyperS4 06-18-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by PghRich (Post 25331936)
You should be much more worried about the directional/asymmetrical tread design than the side of the off-ramp. Swapping a directional tire to the opposite side of the car will be pumping rain water right into the middle of the tire, rather than away, trying as hard as you can to cause aquaplaning.

I've driven ramps at pretty high speeds for many years, and have never noticed an effect anywhere near the small alignment variations that actually cause excessive wear. Toe and camber cause forces/wear on the tire with every single rotation, not the 40 seconds a day you are on a ramp.

There's no need to get back "on track". If you have symmetric, omnidirectional tires, follow the guidance if you wish. Or just continue front to back, as you should with any other type of tire.

I assumed it was understood regarding symmetrical tires and their respective rotation. I guess I really need to start underestimating the intelligence of this forum.

On the other side of your post, if you aren't seeing significant shoulder wear from cornering, even for 40 seconds at a time (add them up), you aren't driving hard enough.

bob m 06-18-2019 02:51 PM

If it matters I have the Michelin Plilot Sport AS/3.

As an aside a few of my friends went to Maine for a rafting trip and we all took turns driving there and back Perfect weather until we headed back to Connecticut. There it started to rain on and off sometimes heavy and my friend who drives quite faster (though not dangerous fast) and is an excellent driver was at the wheel and that car and those Michelins kept that car planted perfectly during turns and straight driving.

bob m 06-18-2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by HyperS4 (Post 25331949)
I assumed it was understood regarding symmetrical tires and their respective rotation. I guess I really need to start underestimating the intelligence of this forum.

On the other side of your post, if you aren't seeing significant shoulder wear from cornering, even for 40 seconds at a time (add them up), you aren't driving hard enough.

I don't consider myself of lesser intelligence but I was totally unaware of "symmetrical" tires. Now I know.

Q5 Bob 06-18-2019 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bob m (Post 25332011)
I don't consider myself of lesser intelligence but I was totally unaware of "symmetrical" tires. Now I know.

Lol. Now you'll measure up to the lofty standards of this forum