A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Tire and Wheel protection a waste of money?

Old 07-03-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdsheff
When I was buying the car, I got roped into buying the tire and wheel protection for about $2k. Wondering if anyone else has it and has used it or if I got totally ripped off.
Your dealer chargers way too much for the tire and wheel protection. My dealer charged $500.00 for the tire and wheel protection.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't agree more with A4Driver and some of the others here. If you felt you had an extra $2,000 to give to your dealer just in case you happened to damage a wheel or tire, which absolutely could happen, then why not save that mine aside for yourself in an interest bearing account to use for whatever it is that you need? Why tie it up for only one purpose, and if that purpose never comes true the money is lost? Keep it in an account and it's there for whatever may happen - if your refrigerator dies, or something major happens on another car not covered under the same plan, etc. It's good to have savings, not so good to have it held hostage over one specific thing and then vanish if you don't need it... At least that's my way of looking at it. If you need it, it's there. If you don't, great, it's still there earning interest for you - not someone else like the dealer. :-)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KK in CT
I couldn't agree more with A4Driver and some of the others here. If you felt you had an extra $2,000 to give to your dealer just in case you happened to damage a wheel or tire, which absolutely could happen, then why not save that mine aside for yourself in an interest bearing account to use for whatever it is that you need? Why tie it up for only one purpose, and if that purpose never comes true the money is lost? Keep it in an account and it's there for whatever may happen - if your refrigerator dies, or something major happens on another car not covered under the same plan, etc. It's good to have savings, not so good to have it held hostage over one specific thing and then vanish if you don't need it... At least that's my way of looking at it. If you need it, it's there. If you don't, great, it's still there earning interest for you - not someone else like the dealer. :-)
Exactly. In fact, it's causing me to pay more interest as part of the loan. Luckily I was able to call and cancel it. They said it'll be put back towards the principle of the loan, but I've heard some cases where they will just send a check. Either way, money now is better than money that I'll never see again.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

many factors to consider
road condition in your area
history of repairs '
cost
you can negotiate also, my cost was around 800 for 5 year protection, I have used warranty twice in last two years on other cars, for 2K I would not do it and keep the money.
the cost is going up rapidly on all cars, I paid around $500 for 2017 GTI wheel and tire protection for 5 years. with roads in my area and very thin GTI wheels it is well worth it.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1 new tire and 2 wheel scrapes later in 9 months in the streets of Las Vegas! I would definitely say I'm getting my money's worth! I have the Tire and Wheel protection with the optional Cosmetic coverage. Definitely worth it if you have 19 inch wheels.

Romeo
Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally, I don't buy into the upsales at the dealership, but in this case - I bought the wheel & tire package.

Consider this: If you damage ONE tire on your car with 50% tread remaining, requiring a new tire on that wheel -- how will that effect your Quattro system?

Technically speaking, all 4 tires need to be within only a few millimeters tread depth of each other to operate properly with Quattro. It's not ok to run one tire, or even two at different tread depths.

Will you damage your quattro system over time, and will you actually notice those effects?? Difficult to prove from the layman's position, but If I were to OWN my vehicle vs. leasing -- I would NOT want to test that scenario. FYI.

Having wheel and tire, would replace ALL of those tires in the set, including the wheels if damaged. Something to consider.

gr
Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Geez, you could get a new full set of top tier tires and wheels with hazard protection for $1-1.5k from many tire shops (i.e. America's tire). Dump the Audi one.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i got a third party warranty for $800 5 year unlimited miles. it already covered 1 tire at the tune of $260 so im well on my way to make my money back with only 1.5 month of ownership. I live in a neighborhood under construction and got 3 nails on my tires on my previous car in less than a year.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

For cars with 17" or 18" it's a waste of money.. If you live in the NE or Mid West etc and have 19" not a bad idea.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi Q8 Tire & Wheel Package

I am in th process of purchasing a 2021 Audi Q8 with the 22" tires. The Audi Finance guy wants to sell me the Tire & Wheel package for $3K. Seems outrageous to me. Welcome all comments on:

1) Is the base Wheel & Tire package worth buying without the Optional Cosmetic coverage?
2) What's a fair price for a Tire & Wheel package for a 2021 Audi Q8 Premium Plus with 22" wheels?
3) Does the package cover Wheel and/or Tire scrapes

Also:

4) Are there any 3rd party Tire & Wheel companies that provide this coverage at reasonable rates?

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel protection a waste of money?