A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

All Weather Floor Mat Question

Old 11-23-2021, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Weather Floor Mat Question

Hi -

New to the forum..awaiting delivery of a 2022 A4 Premium Plus in Daytona Gray Pearl - can't wait! First time Audi buyer so looking forward to learning from everyone here.

So I want to get all-weather floor mats for the car and when I go to Weather Tech, it is asking if the rear mats have a retention device....can anyone tell me if this model has the rear mat retention device?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Old 11-23-2021, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I assume they're asking about the posts in the floor for the floor mat holes to hook on, such as the holes in some Audi OE floor mats:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../8w0061511041/
You should be able to check with the dealership. It seems like maybe they got rid of those with the facelift?
Old 11-24-2021, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2021 A4 and there are no retainer clips in the rear.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 316 Likes on 246 Posts

As noted, no retention devices for the rear mats on a 2021 (at least on my Allroad).

My opinion - I would stay away from the Weather Tech mats. My son ordered Weather Tech mats for his Acura RSX which claimed to be custom fit and include provision for the factory mat retention device. When they arrived, custom fit consisted of getting your scissors out to trim the side edges of the mat to fit. There was no problem with the factory retention device because the mat was too short to reach the factory retention device where it was located at the base of the seat. Not impressed with Weather Tech custom fit mats which were really U-fit mats.

I ordered the Audi rubber mats from my dealership. When you include the cost of shipping from Weather Tech, I think the cost of the mats directly from Audi was roughly the same or slightly less in cost. As expected, the mats are a perfect fit and the front ones have large raised lips around the edges to retain water. The Audi rear mats fit fine and have similar lips and they seem to stay in place without the use of a retention device.
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 142 guy
As noted, no retention devices for the rear mats on a 2021 (at least on my Allroad).

My opinion - I would stay away from the Weather Tech mats. My son ordered Weather Tech mats for his Acura RSX which claimed to be custom fit and include provision for the factory mat retention device. When they arrived, custom fit consisted of getting your scissors out to trim the side edges of the mat to fit. There was no problem with the factory retention device because the mat was too short to reach the factory retention device where it was located at the base of the seat. Not impressed with Weather Tech custom fit mats which were really U-fit mats.

I ordered the Audi rubber mats from my dealership. When you include the cost of shipping from Weather Tech, I think the cost of the mats directly from Audi was roughly the same or slightly less in cost. As expected, the mats are a perfect fit and the front ones have large raised lips around the edges to retain water. The Audi rear mats fit fine and have similar lips and they seem to stay in place without the use of a retention device.
I have purchased Weather Tech mats for two cars (VW and Subaru) and they fit perfectly in both including the fit around the retention clips. I have never purchased them for Audi and have always gotten the factory mats with the car. The advantage of the Weather Tech mats is that the front mats have much higher sides so all of the liquid and slush is retained in the mat. The Audi mats have much lower sides and I often have to clean up the salt stains on the carpet in the spring (warm water and vinegar work wonders). On the negative side, the Weather Tech mats are made from a much harder plastic and do not feel as nice as the OEM mats. If you live in a really snowy area like VT, upstate NY or the mountains of CO I would go with Weather Tech. If you have moderate snow and want a nicer look and you do not mind cleaning the salt off the carpets in the spring, go OEM.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 316 Likes on 246 Posts

This got me curious because it does not exactly jive with what I remember from the product search I did previously. Weathertech does not offer their 'All Weather' mat for the A4 Allroad. They do offer their Laser Cut Floor Liner and compared to the Audi mats those mats do come with much higher lips along the sides at the front, definitely giving you more protection if you rest your foot along the carpet on the transmission hump. That hasn't been an issue for us - so far. However, at the back edge of the mat the lip looks to be the same height as the Audi mat lip and that back lip is where we find that we get most of our accumulation of sand and slush.

I checked my invoices and the Audi mats listed at $180 Cdn and the Laser Cut mats list list $270 Cdn (freight in).
Old 11-25-2021, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
..... The advantage of the Weather Tech mats is that the front mats have much higher sides so all of the liquid and slush is retained in the mat. The Audi mats have much lower sides and I often have to clean up the salt stains on the carpet in the spring (warm water and vinegar work wonders). On the negative side, the Weather Tech mats are made from a much harder plastic and do not feel as nice as the OEM mats. If you live in a really snowy area like VT, upstate NY or the mountains of CO I would go with Weather Tech. If you have moderate snow and want a nicer look and you do not mind cleaning the salt off the carpets in the spring, go OEM.
Agree 100%.

Have purchased WeatherTech for my A6, my wife's Macan and kids' Toyotas over the years. The OEMs for all makes have lower sides, thereby allowing slush to slop over.

So if you live in snowy area, particularly areas that use a lot of salt (like northeastern Ohio where I live), then get WeatherTech. Otherwise, the factory will be fine.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

These look nice: https://www.revmotoring.com/new-prod...17-all-weather
Old 11-26-2021, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rennen-affe
Those are similar to OEM.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts