A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Torsen or Ultra AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I kinda agree that this is extreme driving, but I am surprised at how quickly it gave out. Heat is a general issue in multi-plate clutch AWD systems. You basically have a lot of clutch slip going on in situations like this as the system is constantly shuffling torque front to back. Cars like the new M5, E63, R8 etc. essentially go RWD if the clutch overheats. I'm now kinda wondering how Quattro Ultra performs if you say found yourself in deep snow and needed to car to dig itself out for a while.
He thrashed the AR hard... i think if youre under snowy conditions and try to get out, you wont be doing crazy **** like that..
also who knows how long and how many times he's been doing this, i doubt he got that warning the first time he tried it...
Old 12-12-2017, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
My opinion is that the Q5 is not a rally car and that car is being driven like one. It is not surprising that the car is trying to protect itself from destruction.
I think it is A4 Allroad, not Q5, but still I doubt the car will overheat if it had a "normal" quattro.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
My opinion is that the Q5 is not a rally car and that car is being driven like one. It is not surprising that the car is trying to protect itself from destruction.
It's an Allroad in the video. I think the user really wanted to beat the crap out of the car lol. Look at his other videos on that car. Crazy stuff
Old 12-27-2017, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Choise

Hi all,
Today I went to an European audi seller and told me that a4 ( regullar or allroad) can come with ultra or torsen. It’s your choise (starting with January 2018).

Best wishes and a happy new year.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% guaranteed you can bet the future of the entire universe on it the USA will not get an optional choice of Torsen or Ultra Quattro in any model and at any time.

Sounds kind of odd even for Europe.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

As I understand it, in Europe, less powerfull engines (e.g. TFSI-252) get the QwU system. Doesn't seem to be a choice.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@audi8k that is changed from Jan 2018 (the guy from Audi told me). I'm from Europe
Old 01-03-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

@valium2008: OK, that would be good. The web configurators still does not give a choice. Depending on the engine, the QwU is preselected and can not be changed.
This is from the german configurator based on 252hp petrol engine:
Old 01-03-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Also, there is no difference in organic vs non-organic milk, but people will pay 50% more for organic milk. So Audi should not be surprised when they lose customers to BMW in 2019 when the updated 3-series is out and it is not FWD-based.
Why would they lose customers to BMW? The current 3-Series and every 3-Series has always been RWD based, even their xDrive. Even in xDrive form the default is to send 100% of power to the rear wheels, only changing electronically as needed. So as far as "sporty" AWD driving goes, the BMW already currently beats Quattro in that regard. An AWD 3 Series will still let you easily send the tail out if you want to.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mr Fish
Just for info from the UK. I prefer manuals as I'm an enthusiast driver. Audi are using autos to get better fuel economy. Manuals are worse for economy due to the way the euro test runs. This is hopefully changing.

none of the quick Audis can be bought in a manual now which is a shame. ALL Allroad are addition too.

I have driven as Allroad petrol with ultra for a weekend and I own a torson. You really cannot tell any difference and trust me i tried. Full poorer start nothing. Drive exactly the same.....
Turned in our 6 speed A4 B8 AWD quattro and picked up the new 6 speed B9 A4 QwU yesterday. So far I'm experiencing exactly what you describe i.e., drives exactly the same. It was a pretty good back to back test too as the road conditions were quite varied - clean and dry, partially to fully snow covered, and some black ice in spots.