A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Traffic Jam Assist in A4 Prestige experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Versprechen
Exactly. Late will not react until t gets near a line; I use this for local commutes since I tend to hug the center line unlike the rest of the shoulder huggers on the road. Early will keep you steady and center on the highway.

Level 3 does this completely hands free while level 2 requires steering wheel input (or tug) every 3 seconds or so.

Use the MMI to make adjustments.
Wheel touch every 20 seconds. 22 before it disengages.

On divided highways it gets a line lock easily. On back roads with head on traffic it is very picky and so it is hard to count on and hence not really usable.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Wheel touch every 20 seconds. 22 before it disengages.

On divided highways it gets a line lock easily. On back roads with head on traffic it is very picky and so it is hard to count on and hence not really usable.
I think 3 seconds is for traffic assist, thanks. I would never use it on back roads, though, since half the time it can't see both lanes, but it's still useful IMO.

Nevertheless, it makes sense to adjust to for highway use.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Sounds like you guys have it set for late steering intervention. That is for people who don’t want it to steer until they are about to cross over a line.
I do indeed have mine set to late intervention. As I said, you might have set yours to be tuned rather tightly, so that the steering wheel is always fighting you.

I believe Audi's documentation says you have to intervene every 15 seconds or it gives you the warning. I've not timed it. Is it actually 20?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
Technically, you're supposed to be steering the car. It'll use the lane guidance functionality to help you stay in your lane and will, but it's not supposed to do the steering. The A4's version will likely have your car going from the far left side of the lane to the far right and vice versa quite a bit because it's not supposed to respond until it detects you are swerving into the lane marker. Only the A8's level 3 autonomous driving system is supposed to self steer and that isn't legal in any country yet. You can tighten the lane assist feature to improve that, but the system isn't really meant for self-steering, otherwise it wouldn't keep alerting you to take the wheel if it doesn't detect any steering wheel movement for 15 seconds. Granted there are workarounds as people have found stuffing a nearly full water bottle in the bottom right or left of the steering wheel can fool the car into thinking your hands are on the wheel as the sloshing water causes small movements in the steering wheel.

The feature is very much worth it. I love the HUD that comes with Prestige, which I can still see with my prescription sunglasses on, though it's somewhat dimmed. With it, you rarely have to glance down at the instrument cluster. I haven't used the 360 degree camera much, but it definitely has its uses, especially when trying to protect your tires from curb scrapes. Because of all of these features, I didn't even consider the two lesser trims.
NorthwestB9, can you provide a detailed description on how Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) becomes "active" on your A4? I know there's a menu item for TJA in the MMI/Infotainment screen that needs to be turned on/activated. Do you need to have both Active Lane Assist (ALA) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) activated and active before you see a "Traffic Jam Assist available" message in your Driver Assistance display? Must you always press the button on the end of the turn signal lever to fully activate TJA and "make active" TJA while you're driving?
With coding changes I'm trying to activate TJA on my 2018 Q5 (which is equipped with ACC, TSR, Side Assist, HBA, pre sense front, pre sense city and now ALA via coding courtesy of Mitchfin), but first I would like to know the details of how TJA gets activated/becomes active on a suitably equipped 2018 A4 Prestige.
Thanks,
Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze
NorthwestB9, can you provide a detailed description on how Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) becomes "active" on your A4? I know there's a menu item for TJA in the MMI/Infotainment screen that needs to be turned on/activated. Do you need to have both Active Lane Assist (ALA) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) activated and active before you see a "Traffic Jam Assist available" message in your Driver Assistance display? Must you always press the button on the end of the turn signal lever to fully activate TJA and "make active" TJA while you're driving?
With coding changes I'm trying to activate TJA on my 2018 Q5 (which is equipped with ACC, TSR, Side Assist, HBA, pre sense front, pre sense city and now ALA via coding courtesy of Mitchfin), but first I would like to know the details of how TJA gets activated/becomes active on a suitably equipped A4 Prestige.
Thanks,
Richard
Traffic jam assist is basically adaptive cruise control below 20 mph. I don't think lane assist is required.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hasht2
Traffic jam assist is basically adaptive cruise control below 20 mph. I don't think lane assist is required.
And from an interface perspective, it's the same interface as adaptive cruise control. Set adaptive cruise control to whatever speed you want, and if your speed drops below 40km/h or so, the traffic jam assist light will turn on, and then the adaptive cruise is in traffic jam assist mode...
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hasht2
Thanks anyways hasht2, but sorry - your information is incorrect. Traffic jam assist (TJA) essentially provides active lane assist (ALA) under vehicle speeds of 40 mph (65 km/h).
The operation of TJA is a combination of ALA and adaptive cruise control (ACC). Without ALA and ACC there can be no TJA.

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go - which is what I have on my vehicle - allows ACC to function at all speeds, right down to 0 (zero). And to reiterate, my vehicle does not have TJA.

I'm looking for information about driver activation of TJA from an owner of a 2018 A4 Prestige that is equipped with ALA, ACC, and TJA.

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-10-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VM
And from an interface perspective, it's the same interface as adaptive cruise control. Set adaptive cruise control to whatever speed you want, and if your speed drops below 40km/h or so, the traffic jam assist light will turn on, and then the adaptive cruise is in traffic jam assist mode...
Thanks VM, but your description of how TJA is activated / becomes active in a practical sense is in conflict with what is mentioned in the owner's manual, which in itself is unclear. In the manual there is mention of using the push button at the end of the turn signal lever to activate TJA when the ACC and ALA systems detect traffic congestion ahead.

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze
NorthwestB9, can you provide a detailed description on how Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) becomes "active" on your A4?
1. Turn on active lane assist by pushing button on side of turn signal stalk (TJA won't turn on if this isn't activated)
2. Pull ACC stalk towards you to put it on stand by
3. Once the car registers the lanes and recognizes that you're in traffic "traffic jam assist is available" will pop up on your dashboard
4. Click the button on the side of the ACC stalk to activate TJA

Hope that helps!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alim08
1. Turn on active lane assist by pushing button on side of turn signal stalk (TJA won't turn on if this isn't activated)
2. Pull ACC stalk towards you to put it on stand by
3. Once the car registers the lanes and recognizes that you're in traffic "traffic jam assist is available" will pop up on your dashboard
4. Click the button on the side of the ACC stalk to activate TJA

Hope that helps!
Thanks alim08... but according to the 2018 Audi A4 online owner's manual the information you've provided is incorrect /not exact.
Do you actually own a 2018 A4 Prestige with TJA? LOL!
What model/spec Audi do you own/drive?

Quick Reply: Traffic Jam Assist in A4 Prestige experience?