A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Traffic Jam Assist in A4 Prestige experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
All I have to do is to push the button at the end of the turn signal stalk. I pushed it once to turn it on and didn't have to touch it ever again. It stays on between engine starts. Pushing it makes the two lines show up in both the HUD and the center console. Pushing it again makes the lines disappear. The lines being present, gray or green, will tell you if it's on. Below 40 mph, the lines are gray. Above 40 mph, the lines turn green when it can detect the lane markings. If it can't one or both turn gray. Yes, it can lose track of one lane marker while seeing the other side.

If I turn on TJA/ACC, the Lane Keep Assist lines are lit green as long as it can find the lane markers regardless of the car's speed. If it's in TJA mode (below 40 mph), the car will give a warning if it loses the lane markings, asking me to take over.

BTW, the car has two lane features. One is Lane Departure Warning. That's the vibration of the steering wheel when your car gets too far to one side of the lane. The other is Lane Keep Assist where the car will actively try to keep you in the lanes. On my Prestige, both are on whenever the lane marker(s) are green.
My ALA (and associated functions) turns of everytime the vehicle is turned off. I'll dig around in the Adaptions when I have time to look if I can find a setting which could change this behaviour.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by alim08
Oh! Sorry, my bad for not starting off every post with "I own a 2018 Audi A4 Prestige"
^ Cute come back - thanks. With your having only a few posts on here you're probably unaware that you can set up "signature" detail [via USER CONTROL PANEL >> Edit Signature] that lets viewers see some detail of the Audi model you drive/own or perhaps the Audi models you've previously owned. Your signature detail, once set up, appears automatically at the end of every new post. Many experienced forum members here include signature detail for the benefit of all.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Cute come back - thanks. With your having only a few posts on here you're probably unaware that you can set up "signature" detail [via USER CONTROL PANEL >> Edit Signature] that lets viewers see some detail of the Audi model you drive/own or perhaps the Audi models you've previously owned. Your signature detail, once set up, appears automatically at the end of every new post. Many experienced forum members here include signature detail for the benefit of all.
... and you should also set up the 'Location' field. Given Audis can be very different in different countries, it's very helpful for people to know what country your experience is based on...
Old 12-12-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 2018 Audi S4 Prestige, and wondering if anyone has been able to change the time TJA asks to grab the wheel, and if ACC time can be extended to go longer without intervention?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecklesswun
I own a 2018 Audi S4 Prestige, and wondering if anyone has been able to change the time TJA asks to grab the wheel, and if ACC time can be extended to go longer without intervention?
I own a 2018 Audi Q5 (without TJA but with ALA) and I've been able to change (extend) the time ALA asks to grab the wheel. I carried this out using my OBDeleven and going into control unit (A5) Front Sensors Driver Assistance System. In Adaptation I changed the "Directional stabilization assist driver inact deactiv threshold" parameter from Medium (old value) to Late (new value). The system now asks me far less often to take control of the wheel.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discovered a weakness in TJA. While using it in a traffic jam yesterday, TJA allows a gap big enough for a car to cut in front of you, which is exactly what the jerk to the right of me did. It was a slow cut in and the car directly in front of me started to speed up and TJA started to accelerate to match the car in front's speed. I got really close to the left corner of the jerk and TJA didn't slow down as he kept moving over. I had to brake manually and let him in.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
Discovered a weakness in TJA. While using it in a traffic jam yesterday, TJA allows a gap big enough for a car to cut in front of you, which is exactly what the jerk to the right of me did. It was a slow cut in and the car directly in front of me started to speed up and TJA started to accelerate to match the car in front's speed. I got really close to the left corner of the jerk and TJA didn't slow down as he kept moving over. I had to brake manually and let him in.
I’ve had this happen twice (had my car less than a month) and assumed it’s because my 2019 A4 Prestige doesn’t have six ultrasonic sensors in the front (or back) - some cars have a sensor by the front wheels that would/should detect a car moving into its lane directly in front of it. Or I’m completely wrong and it’s a bug in the Audi implementation.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by steelersmb@gmail.com
So yesterday I was fortunate enough to sit in Atlanta traffic and I have to say, I was really impressed with the traffic jam assist. I drove for about 10 miles without having to touch the brake or gas pedal. Since it was my first time using it, I was a little nervous about it at first and kept my foot near the brake but it worked perfectly. The only complaint I have is that if you sit for 3 seconds without moving you do have to pull the handle to reactivate it. Not sure why this is a limitation but I will say it made sitting in traffic a little more bearable.
My same experience I have the traffic jam assist and in Atlanta traffic its MORE then worth it, I'm in Atlanta also so I feel your pain.
I wish also you didn't have to reactivate it after some time passes but hey still a great feature.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

As far as I know, TJA does not use the Park Assist sensors, it's radar (the "fog lights") and camera only.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
Yeah I live in DC. I found that out pretty much the first time I used it and it happens every single time I use it.

Thanks Maryland drivers.

Quick Reply: Traffic Jam Assist in A4 Prestige experience?