A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Traffic light display

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Traffic light display

I encountered something I hadn't seen before yesterday: the display of a traffic light I'm approaching both on the VC and on the heads-up display. If this feature is described in the Owner's Manual, I haven't found it.
Ordinarily I do most of my driving in Maryland, but I happened to be in the District of Columbia yesterday. It doesn't happen with every traffic light, but seems to be most prevalent at major intersections. What's really cool is the countdown in seconds until the light changes. Does anyone know what technology is being used to make this happen? Oh - and it clearly is not dependent in any way on the camera: it worked when an upcoming traffic signal was around a bend in the road ahead.
Attached Thumbnails Traffic light display-img-1847.jpg   Traffic light display-img-1848.jpg  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I live in DC and it works up and down Georgia Ave/7th St for me.

It's called "Traffic Light Information" originally launched in the US in Las Vegas,
https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...-tech-in-vegas
https://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-n...ll-turn-green/

It's something I only noticed working starting this weekend though. Which area were you in? Curious to see where else in the city it works.

Last edited by guy_incognito; 03-12-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
Yeah I live in DC and it works up and down Georgia Ave/7th St for me.

It's called "Traffic Light Information" originally launched in the US in Las Vegas,
https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...-tech-in-vegas
https://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-n...ll-turn-green/

It's something I only noticed working starting this weekend though. Which area were you in? Curious to see where else in the city it works.

I was in NW - Connecticut Ave and Woodley Park area as well as Wisconsin Ave north of the Cathedral.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clr1945
I was in NW - Connecticut Ave and Woodley Park area as well as Wisconsin Ave north of the Cathedral.
Ah gotcha, glad to see it working around the city.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by clr1945
Does anyone know what technology is being used to make this happen? Oh - and it clearly is not dependent in any way on the camera: it worked when an upcoming traffic signal was around a bend in the road ahead.
Its not based on camera, its based on the data connection through Audi Connect. The traffic light servers upload data to Audi connect servers which then transmit the data to your car. I have seen it working in and around Houston.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Its not based on camera, its based on the data connection through Audi Connect. The traffic light servers upload data to Audi connect servers which then transmit the data to your car. I have seen it working in and around Houston.
Awesome. Mind if I ask where in Houston? The metro area is huge.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really cool, I wish Audi would provide a map of the areas where this function is working in. I don't suspect my area has any coverage, but if it did, I might actually pay for Audi Connect...
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sebec Veritas
Awesome. Mind if I ask where in Houston? The metro area is huge.
Sugar Land and on Hwy 6 between Westpark and I-10. Surprisingly nothing in downtown so far.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jyang7788
Really cool, I wish Audi would provide a map of the areas where this function is working in. I don't suspect my area has any coverage, but if it did, I might actually pay for Audi Connect...
Of all the things you can get with Audi Connect, this feature is at the probably the least likely to justify the outrageous price. Other than the cool factor, it doesn't have much benefits IMHO.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB

In Houston?? What part of Houston?

My Audi Connect just expired. If this works in West Houston, I just might renew it.

Quick Reply: Traffic light display