A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Traffic light display

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Pretty neat, but where I live (Edmonton, Canada) a lot of intersections already have a countdown timer on the side. I wouldn't need this feature at all
Old 03-13-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Of all the things you can get with Audi Connect, this feature is at the probably the least likely to justify the outrageous price. Other than the cool factor, it doesn't have much benefits IMHO.
Well, in Washington there are a lot of VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE who absolutely, positively, must check their smartphones at every intersection or risk having civilization as we know it come to an abrupt end. If all of them had this in their cars, they would know how much time they had to check their VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGES before people behind them started blowing their horns. Of course, this will all become unnecessary when they all have self-driving cars....
Old 03-13-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clr1945
Well, in Washington there are a lot of VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE who absolutely, positively, must check their smartphones at every intersection or risk having civilization as we know it come to an abrupt end. If all of them had this in their cars, they would know how much time they had to check their VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGES before people behind them started blowing their horns. Of course, this will all become unnecessary when they all have self-driving cars....
LOL

Audi claims its meant to relieve stress.

I guess you could also use it to become a street racing master but I would advice against that.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Pretty neat, but where I live (Edmonton, Canada) a lot of intersections already have a countdown timer on the side. I wouldn't need this feature at all
Every city has those and yes you can use them to time lights if you can see them. In times of heavy traffic you probably won't be able to see them.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

The DC rollout has made the news today. It is hard to find the cities where this V2I functionality is available. I saw Frisco, TX and some other cities. Nothing in the SF Bay Area - sad, considering the area is considered such the world's leading tech region. I doubt I'll see this functionality around me by the time my Audi Connect Prime runs out.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Link to such a news story:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...washington-dc/

More info on the tech:

Ironically a lot of the driving footage is in Richmond, VA...a city which does not have that feature available yet.

Last edited by guy_incognito; 03-14-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
The DC rollout has made the news today. It is hard to find the cities where this V2I functionality is available. I saw Frisco, TX and some other cities. Nothing in the SF Bay Area - sad, considering the area is considered such the world's leading tech region. I doubt I'll see this functionality around me by the time my Audi Connect Prime runs out.
Palo Alto, CA had it shortly after Vegas, thought I heard Walnut Creek, CA added it recently.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Palo Alto, CA had it shortly after Vegas, thought I heard Walnut Creek, CA added it recently.
Thanks. Just looked it up. It looks like Palo Alto has installed some smart traffic signals that recognize traffic flow. Wonder if they are V2I capable. Will have to make an excuse to go visit PA.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Frisco, Texas (a suburb North of Dallas). The red-light icon started working here in the summer/fall of 2017. It's still not consistent. Some days it works at a lot of lights, other days few. A traffic light was just installed at the edge of my neighborhood and it has yet to work with that light.

But even though it's inconsistent, when it works it works well and I like it a lot.

In February 2018 I suddenly started seeing the green-light icon. This tells you what speed to maintain so an upcoming light will be green when you get to it. This was working a lot for a few days but I have not seen it in at least a week. Maybe they are beta testing it. It's a cool feature but it always just seemed to be telling me to continue at the same 45-50MPH that I was already going.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffj2h
I live in Frisco, Texas (a suburb North of Dallas). The red-light icon started working here in the summer/fall of 2017. It's still not consistent. Some days it works at a lot of lights, other days few. A traffic light was just installed at the edge of my neighborhood and it has yet to work with that light.

But even though it's inconsistent, when it works it works well and I like it a lot.

In February 2018 I suddenly started seeing the green-light icon. This tells you what speed to maintain so an upcoming light will be green when you get to it. This was working a lot for a few days but I have not seen it in at least a week. Maybe they are beta testing it. It's a cool feature but it always just seemed to be telling me to continue at the same 45-50MPH that I was already going.
I haven't seen the green light anywhere in DC. But unless it's in the dead of night, it probably wouldn't make much difference, since it's other drivers who control the speed.

Quick Reply: Traffic light display