A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Traffic Sign Recognition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Traffic Sign Recognition problems?

Anyone have traffic sign recognition? Mine appears to use "satellite" or map based speed limits because it would randomly drop to 50km/hr sign in a secondary road when in fact speed limit never changed from 60.

I pass through construction zones with clear road signs on a clear day and it still reads out the normal "80km/hr" as it normally is on the highway.

I want to know if there's something wrong with my system, if its worth bringing to the dealership or is this literally what I'm to expect from "traffic sign recognition" where it gets its information from a database and not actual camera recognition?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Depends on whether your car has TSR or not. My A4 doesn't and it uses map based recommendations (but it is never wrong). The SQ5 does and it uses road signs. But the problem is that on highways in IL, they post two sign boards close by, one after the other. The first one is the one for normal vehicles with the speed limit (say, 70mph). Soon after that board, there's another one with the speed limit for trucks (reduced to 60mph). The SQ5 picks up that second sign board too and then displays that as the speed limit (60) when it's actually the first board for us (70).
And yes. I don't think the SQ5 picks up the construction speed sign board either. We did have certain parts of the road being worked on and speed limit was 55mph but it still showed 70mph as the speed limit.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

In the US the TSR is much less needed than in Germany. I was in a BMW with this feature last fall on the Autobahn. The speed limits change often on the Autobahn and some of the signs are electronic and change based on traffic. The BMW did an excellent job displaying the current allowed speed and perhaps only once in 500 km misread a sign. Here in the US the speed limits do not change often and we rarely have electronic signs which change the speed limit so this feature is much less useful. I just wish the speed display would also show up on the VC for my P+.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
In the US the TSR is much less needed than in Germany. I was in a BMW with this feature last fall on the Autobahn. The speed limits change often on the Autobahn and some of the signs are electronic and change based on traffic. The BMW did an excellent job displaying the current allowed speed and perhaps only once in 500 km misread a sign. Here in the US the speed limits do not change often and we rarely have electronic signs which change the speed limit so this feature is much less useful. I just wish the speed display would also show up on the VC for my P+.
where I live at, the speed limit changes every mile. It’s crazy. Within the city I mean. 55 to 45 to 40 to 35 to 30 back to 35 and so on so forth. Plus school zones in between. It’s very useful for me. And I also wish my P+ showed the speed limit on the VC instead of the MMI display but yea. I’ll have to activate TSR using the kufatec dongle for that. Atleast it’s better than the X3 which doesn’t show speed limits.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine has the Advanced Driver Assistance Package which includes this traffic sign recognition. I think this is neat considering my city also has abrupt speed changes. But I don't think this system actually uses the camera but just map based info
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Mine has the Advanced Driver Assistance Package which includes this traffic sign recognition. I think this is neat considering my city also has abrupt speed changes. But I don't think this system actually uses the camera but just map based info
Pretty sure it uses the camera because in the SQ5, the speed limit sign in the VC changes instantaneously when I pass a speed limit sign on the road where’s in the A4, the speed limit sign in the nav changes only a couple of seconds after I’ve passed the sign. Can’t be a difference in network cuz I drive all cars in the same area.