A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Upgrading SUB

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the rear deck Pioneer swap in my B8.5. I really appreciatde the clean OEM look (just a bit of subwoofer basket hanging in the trunk). And the B&O drove it perfectly fine (wired for 8ohms). For a $60 subwoofer it made a HUGE difference in sound. It could go much deeper than stock, those real low notes wouldn't roll off, and generally didn't feel like it was "desperate" to make bass. It just sang. And it was a very easy DIY.

But for the B9 someone's gotta take their's out at some point, test impedance, and find a suitable replacement.

Last edited by Nostromo; 10-18-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I turned off the 3D and surround and turned the subwoofer **** to the 3-o’clock position. I think it is better. It didn’t make distortion.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I turned off the 3D and surround and turned the subwoofer **** to the 3-o’clock position. I think it is better. It didn’t make distortion.
B9 has a better subwoofer, absolutely. That's why this is a backburner project for me.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is what my stereo shop told me. I am saying they are right, this is just what they told me. The amp in the B&O is not powerful enough to drive a dual speaker sub in the trunk, so you would need a device (don't remember its name) that takes the signal from the wires to the amp, but not the power so you don't screw up the B&O amp, them put an amp in the trunk, then the dual speaker set up.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gguy
Here is what my stereo shop told me. I am saying they are right, this is just what they told me. The amp in the B&O is not powerful enough to drive a dual speaker sub in the trunk, so you would need a device (don't remember its name) that takes the signal from the wires to the amp, but not the power so you don't screw up the B&O amp, them put an amp in the trunk, then the dual speaker set up.

Im not at all sure that the stereo guy is right. According to what I read, the B&O 3D amp is 755 watts.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gguy
Im not at all sure that the stereo guy is right. According to what I read, the B&O 3D amp is 755 watts.
Dual speaker -no. Dual Voice Coil - yes. BUT that's why in the B8.5 everyone was using that Pioneer Champion - it was designed for low wattage.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Dual speaker -no. Dual Voice Coil - yes. BUT that's why in the B8.5 everyone was using that Pioneer Champion - it was designed for low wattage.

The Pioneer champion mounted in the rear deck would absolutely blow the OEM sub out of the water plus its designed for free air use.

Another thing that would be solved is that the OEM sub has a lot of weird mechanical noises when being used just a bit aggressively... the Pioneer will take it like a champ (pun intended)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very interesting thread. After talking to several installers, they all point me toward using a separate amp for the subwoofer in the trunk. I could use it with the oem sub on the rear deck or just disconnect next the oem sub. I just wonder how much sound I’d get from the trunk and whether or not it would create rattles in the body in the trunk. One of you guys needs to be our tester on this :-)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Subs are in trunks all the time.

I doubt a separate amp is noticeably better than using the existing amp, especially with an efficient driver.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Once again, the sub is the only thing about the car that i am not pleased with. I have a pretty fair offer to install a single 10 inch subwoofer in an enclosure in the trunk. It fits nicely that way. It has a signal processor and a 350 watt amp. As i have said before, i am not a real well versed audio guy. My concerns are whether or not the sub in the trunk of the Audi will sound good or not. Obviously, I am not interested in the thump-thump with rap music at all, i just want more bass. Any thoughts on this idea?

Quick Reply: Upgrading SUB