A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

US Audi navigation and a quick trip to Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default US Audi navigation and a quick trip to Toronto?

I've got a US B9 A4 and am planning to drive to Toronto for a couple of days. Is there anything reasonable I can do to make the Audi navigation/connect work for that short time?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Canada is included in the map data as far as I know, so there is nothing you should have to do. Audi connect is a matter of roaming. If you turn on roaming in the settings it should work in Canada, however AT&T may charge you extra. Not sure exactly what the roaming agreement is with Audi connect, especially if you are still in the trial period.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just called Audi Connect about the Toronto trip and they said that even though ATT has coverage there, that Audi Connect "isn't compatible with their systems" and could not be enabled for the trip. I'm mostly looking for traffic data.

Does anyone have any more info on whether there are workarounds for this? Since my trial subscription was ending in 2 weeks, last night I signed up for a paid Audi Connect account.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Well, the data connection should work fine with roaming, but what they are probably getting at with the compatibility issue is that most Audi connect features are not offered in Canada, For example traffic. So it's unlikely even if the data connection is working that you will get traffic information in Canada, because they don't actually offer that service on Canadian spec cars, either, so Audi doesn't have a traffic feed for Canada. You always have the option to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play while driving in Canada. Google Maps and Waze in AA as well as Apple Maps in Car Play will give you traffic information.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-02-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for traffic service in Toronto. It's baaaad. Just visualize everything on the map in red and give lots of extra time.

Or use Waze.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like to understand what will happen in terms of billing if I turn on the roaming, but since Audi Connect won't discuss the issue and I don't even know what my ATT account number is, I don't know who to ask.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprior
I'd like to understand what will happen in terms of billing if I turn on the roaming, but since Audi Connect won't discuss the issue and I don't even know what my ATT account number is, I don't know who to ask.
If you go online to your My Audi/Audi Connect account you can see your account number, usage etc. If you haven't used it yet you'll need to sign in etc.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking at the My Audi Connect account page and I don't see any ATT account number there. I'm signed up for Connect PLUS - 6GB - 18 Months. I can see my recent data usage, but otherwise the site is really light on details.

BTW, that 6GB - is that per month, or do I only get 6GB for the entire 18 months? I'd like to assume per month (which would be way more than I'll ever use), but that really isn't stated anywhere.

I'm trying to find out in advance how to turn on roaming, for example with my Verizon account you have to call them, but you can turn it on for $5/phone/day if you do it in advance.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprior
I'm looking at the My Audi Connect account page and I don't see any ATT account number there. I'm signed up for Connect PLUS - 6GB - 18 Months. I can see my recent data usage, but otherwise the site is really light on details.

BTW, that 6GB - is that per month, or do I only get 6GB for the entire 18 months? I'd like to assume per month (which would be way more than I'll ever use), but that really isn't stated anywhere.

I'm trying to find out in advance how to turn on roaming, for example with my Verizon account you have to call them, but you can turn it on for $5/phone/day if you do it in advance.
Its per month / i went to canada recently and it just kept working didn't lose signal with att sim so i assume it was using another company cell towers.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Simons
Its per month / i went to canada recently and it just kept working didn't lose signal with att sim so i assume it was using another company cell towers.
That would be a huge change from the past where 6GB was for the total of the AudiConnect Prime plan duration. I seriously doubt that you get 6GB month but would love to be wrong.

Quick Reply: US Audi navigation and a quick trip to Toronto?