A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Using Audi Connect service through external SIM in 2017 Audi A4

Old 01-13-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
The data counter on the MMI is useless because it will not differentiate between hotspot data and overall data usage. Who knows what Audi is downloading in the background but it should not matter if you have no clients connected and no SIM in the slot. You can even turn of WiFi clients in the Connection Manager to make sure that nothing is using hotspot data.

Until the next cycle I would turn off WiFi clients, reset the data counter and take a picture of your AT&T bill showing today's data total. Then check again on the 14th and see how things have changed.
OK, turned off the WiFi hotspot in the car so that my personal cell phone isn't connecting anymore. And, what do you know? Voila, zero data used on my personal shared data plan since I did that. Even downloaded a new map update via the MMI. Still no data. So.... Apparently my phone was using a lot of data while connected.

One thing I noticed is that my iPhone is set up to only download application updates while on WiFi so it won't use LTE data. Well... The phone connected in the car sees it as WiFi, so away it goes updating apps. That uses a lot of data lately as many of the apps are being refreshed.

Lesson learned... I post this as an FYI to other users. Looks like the data setup is working properly.

OBDelevenPro arriving today, so will look into tweaks next...
Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared Gedlaman
OK, turned off the WiFi hotspot in the car so that my personal cell phone isn't connecting anymore. And, what do you know? Voila, zero data used on my personal shared data plan since I did that. Even downloaded a new map update via the MMI. Still no data. So.... Apparently my phone was using a lot of data while connected.

One thing I noticed is that my iPhone is set up to only download application updates while on WiFi so it won't use LTE data. Well... The phone connected in the car sees it as WiFi, so away it goes updating apps. That uses a lot of data lately as many of the apps are being refreshed.

Lesson learned... I post this as an FYI to other users. Looks like the data setup is working properly.

OBDelevenPro arriving today, so will look into tweaks next...
Jared,
i have a 2017 S3 with the trial Audi Connect service currently. I some how messed up my APN settings when trying to use an external sim (Project Fi). Can you by any chance help me retrieve the factory APN settings? Right now, only Prime Services work but the Hotspot will not give me a connection.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can anyone confirm that Verizon sim card works? I've been reading a lot on it, and it seems that with the older generations, you had to get the FreedomPop, because of 2G/3G support. I believe the B9 generation is LTE capable, has anyone been successful in adding a Verizon sim card?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I tried a Verizon SIM once and it worked in LTE mode but the MMI doesn't do CDMA, so coverage may be limited.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I tried a Verizon SIM once and it worked in LTE mode but the MMI doesn't do CDMA, so coverage may be limited.
Does that mean it will only work when LTE coverage is present (that's most of United States so it shouldn't be a problem), and will both maps and hotspot work?