A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Virtual Cockpit Navigation while using Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virtual Cockpit Navigation while using Android Auto

I'm looking at getting a 2017 Premium Plus w/ Technology package. I will be using the navigation with virtual cockpit, but at the same time I want to play music from spotify and pandora using Android Auto, and also make and receive calls, and control Android Auto using voice.

How is the compatibility between these separate services? I'm worried that phone calls and music through Android Auto, and voice directions using Audi's navigation system might not work great together. Also, would there be interference with any built-in Audi voice control and Android Auto voice control?

If all of this doesn't work seamlessly together, I could save a lot of money and have a more unified experience by not getting the virtual cockpit and using Android Auto for navigation instead.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've done exactly what you're talking about (albeit with Audible and Google Play Music). And I haven't had any issues. The only time that Android Auto really interferes with Navigation is if you use Google Maps, then the navigation in the Virtual Cockpit will show a compass (most of the time, sometimes it doesn't and I'm not really sure why).

The Audi system will (if you would like) decrease the volume on the music playing to make the navigation easier to hear.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I use google maps from my phone, google maps does not display in the virtual cockpit?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bengtc
So if I use google maps from my phone, google maps does not display in the virtual cockpit?

Nope, Google maps (From your phone) will only display on the center 8" display.

I have had it where I've had Google Maps (via android Auto) on my center display and still had Audi Maps with Google Earth Satellite imagery displayed in the VC (although with no navigation route displayed), but I've also had the VC just display a compass. I might have to do some testing to figure out what the difference is.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Wells
if you use Google Maps, then the navigation in the Virtual Cockpit will show a compass (most of the time, sometimes it doesn't and I'm not really sure why).
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-time-2930511/