A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Weird noise

Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just listened again with headphones and heard it. I have exactly the same noise when braking.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
My car has less than 1400 miles on the odo. I did drive it today. Turned the music off. Tried braking from various speeds. No whine at all. Is this under hard braking or is it present all the time when you slow down?
It is quite varied. Sometimes with hard braking, sometimes with gradual gentle braking, and often times not at all. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by negipai98
It is quite varied. Sometimes with hard braking, sometimes with gradual gentle braking, and often times not at all. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
The only thing I heard close to a whine, in my car, was the tyre whining (when I slowed down). It sounded like it came from the back. But, like I said, I always drive with the music on. Today was the first time I drove without music and I heard that whine but I'm pretty sure it came from the rear wheels.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can definitely hear the sound in the video. It sounds like the electric pump of the ABS accumulator building/maintaining pressure for the brake system. It might be normal (abet louder than typical) hence your dealer's response.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Similar or same noise

I also just purchased a 2017 A4 Quattro with Cold Weather and Tech package a few weeks ago and from day two I've been hearing this whining noise between 55 and 60 ish mph. It's driving me crazy and it happens with both acceleration and deceleration. They checked everything and said the car is operating normally, the wheel bearings are fine and they even swapped the tires from front to back to see if it made a difference, which it didn't.

I've attached a quick video of the noise, which is louder in person. I hope someone eventually figures out what this is.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
videoplayback.mov (496.9 KB, 1054 views)
The following users liked this post:
Rokline (10-24-2022)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Attached is a video I took. With the ambient noise and my phone's mic it is hard to pick up, but with 6 seconds left in the video you can hear me step on the brake, and immediately after (with 5 seconds left) you can hear the sound. I recommend listening with headphones and the volume up.

To me the sound is coming from inside the cabin and from the driver's side, though my wife hears it emanating from the front middle part of the car. Tough for me to say.

Thanks!
Thank you so much! I´m not alone with this ****ing noise! The tech here in Brazil thinks it is from the fuel pump.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Me too

I have the same noise in my 2016 A4 TFSI 190hp, in my case it doesn't appear every time I drive. If it appears it is usually in the beginning of the trip at lower speeds with a lot of breaking/accelerating. At higher and/or more constant speed it usually disappears.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbottoni
I also just purchased a 2017 A4 Quattro with Cold Weather and Tech package a few weeks ago and from day two I've been hearing this whining noise between 55 and 60 ish mph. It's driving me crazy and it happens with both acceleration and deceleration. They checked everything and said the car is operating normally, the wheel bearings are fine and they even swapped the tires from front to back to see if it made a difference, which it didn't.

I've attached a quick video of the noise, which is louder in person. I hope someone eventually figures out what this is.
Ok, I'm pretty excited because I finally got an Audi tech to drive with me this morning and actually hear the noise and his first words were, "it sounds like a bad wheel bearing." Which is literally what I told him others in this forum had an issue with not two days after I purchased the car new in April. So, if it does turn out to be a bad wheel bearing I could have had this fixed months ago when I first brought it in, but whatever, I'm just happy they don't think I'm crazy anymore.

I'll report back if that actually is the solution. They didn't have a loaner for me, so I have to wait until Monday to have them work on it.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2017 allroad does this as well at the exact same speed. It sounds to me like a bearing in the gearbox or maybe in the quattro system. its speed dependent. 70 MPH it is still there but much less prominent. was thinking of bringing to dealer but interesting it may be common in the B9 platform..
Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, I'm pretty excited because I finally got an Audi tech to drive with me this morning and actually hear the noise and his first words were, "it sounds like a bad wheel bearing." Which is literally what I told him others in this forum had an issue with not two days after I purchased the car new in April. So, if it does turn out to be a bad wheel bearing I could have had this fixed months ago when I first brought it in, but whatever, I'm just happy they don't think I'm crazy anymore.

I'll report back if that actually is the solution. They didn't have a loaner for me, so I have to wait until Monday to have them work on it.
Hmm... interesting but I would be very surpised if the sound in my car (same sound as in negipai98 video) has anything to do with the wheel bearings. As negipai98 wrote in his original post it sounds more hydraulic/pneumatic, like the sound of a plane adjusting the flaps. It is also too intermittent and has a very distinct start and stop and seems unrelated to the wheels. My guess is that my sound has to do with the automatic transmission or maybe the brakes. If your sound has to do with wheel bearings we are probably not talking about the same sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird noise