A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneLiner
Hmm... interesting but I would be very surpised if the sound in my car (same sound as in negipai98 video) has anything to do with the wheel bearings. As negipai98 wrote in his original post it sounds more hydraulic/pneumatic, like the sound of a plane adjusting the flaps. It is also too intermittent and has a very distinct start and stop and seems unrelated to the wheels. My guess is that my sound has to do with the automatic transmission or maybe the brakes. If your sound has to do with wheel bearings we are probably not talking about the same sound.
So, they just called me and said it's the rear differential, not the wheel bearings, and they're replacing it. I was not expecting that on a six month old car but oh well.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fbottoni
So, they just called me and said it's the rear differential, not the wheel bearings, and they're replacing it. I was not expecting that on a six month old car but oh well.
So I think they Audi techs figured it out, because I just found this video and it is literally the exact noise I'm hearing.
complete with the foot on accelerator, off accelerator noise difference. I don't know if this will help any of you, but it's worth mentioning to your Audi tech if the noise is similar to mine.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbottoni
So I think they Audi techs figured it out, because I just found this video and it is literally the exact noise I'm hearing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CK8zAAw4AA complete with the foot on accelerator, off accelerator noise difference. I don't know if this will help any of you, but it's worth mentioning to your Audi tech if the noise is similar to mine.
That video is of a B5 S4 - and from 2007 so I'm not sure you say its the exact same issue. Yes, it does sound the same but..
Old 10-09-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Shawn St. Denis
That video is of a B5 S4 - and from 2007 so I'm not sure you say its the exact same issue. Yes, it does sound the same but..
Well, the Audi techs said it's the rear differential that needs to be replaced and they are replacing it. So I googled "Audi rear differential whine" just to see if it sounded the same, because I was skeptical, and sure enough, it is the exact same noise that I'm hearing in my new car. I'm not saying it's the same for everyone in this thread, just that since others are having such a hard time figuring out what their whining noise is, it might be good to listen to that sound and see if it matches.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We’re you able to resolve your weird sound issue with Audi? I have an 2017 Audi A4 and experiencing the same sound and it is driving me insane!
If you can give me any tips or how it was resolved I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by negipai98
Hello. First post so please be gentle...

I recently purchased a 2017 A4 Quattro with Cold Weather and Tech packages. I like the car for the most part, but am being driven crazy by a strange noise. The sound is like a low electric whirring, so to speak. Almost like a hydraulic pump or the flaps on a plane being adjusted. It happens mostly during braking, though sometimes when coasting after braking. There is no real consistency in terms of weather or road conditions, as it happens under all conditions, but only some of the time. With that said, it is very pronounced when driving in the snow.

I brought it into the dealer and they couldn't hear they sound when I drove with the tech (naturally it didn't happen that day) but they kept the car for a few days to test it out. During that time I had a loaner which was the exact same make and model, and never heard the sound. There was a variation of the sound when braking, but it was much lower - barely audible and not an issue. The sound we hear is very noticeable. The best diagnosis Audi could give was that it was likely the ABS Pump adjusting and anticipating a need of being used. I struggle with that explanation since it often happens when I am braking gradually and have almost come to a complete stop. Surely the ABS is smart enough to know it won't be required under those conditions.

I kept the car for another week, then brought it back to Audi and asked them to take another look, since I have never heard a sound like this. They kept the car for 11 days, and then came back and said that while there is definitely a sound, it is normal and I shouldn't worry about it. They said all cars make different sounds - even within the same model - and this one just happens to be louder. I have driven many different types of cars over the years and never have heard a sound like this, much less have it be called normal. Don't get me wrong - it isn't a crazy loud sound - but it does seem to be far from normal in a modern, premium car such as an Audi. The reality is that if I had heard this sound during the test drive I would have immediately turned to my sales rep and asked what it was, and likely would not have bought the car.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. If yes, at least I know it is normal (although annoying). If not, I can feel more confident pushing back on my local service dealer. This is my first Audi, and unless something changes, it will be my last.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by OneLiner
I have the same noise in my 2016 A4 TFSI 190hp, in my case it doesn't appear every time I drive. If it appears it is usually in the beginning of the trip at lower speeds with a lot of breaking/accelerating. At higher and/or more constant speed it usually disappears.
Update: I went to my Audi dealer and took a ride with a technician. He had never heard a sound like that before and had no explanation. He didn't think that there was anything wrong with the car but he said he would speak to his colleagues and listen for the same sound in similar cars. I will go back to the dealer again in a while.

I the atteched file you can hear the sound at 0:10-0:11, 0:18-0:20, 0:37-0:38, 0:57-0:59, 1:09-1:11, 1:20-1:22.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
sound.mp3 (1.95 MB, 1048 views)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Halloween ghost!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

My 2017 A4 has that sound especially in the first couple braking/slowing in the morning. I am driving a 2018 Q5 this week (mind you same engine, transmission etc.), it has the exact same sound.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the update OneLiner! If I could please ask you to keep me updated I would very much appreciate it. I want to go to my dealership and see if they have another 2017 A4 to drive and see if I can hear it. I will post any updates on my part as well.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mi met, The sound is there all the time in intervals but if there is a lot of road noise or you have the radio on the it is less noticeable but in my opinion it should not be there and you should not have to turn on your radio.

Quick Reply: Weird noise