A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving my A4 for three weeks now. My biggest gripe is regarding space for odds and ends for the front seats. The little cubby for the manual doesn't fit much else, the glovebox is really shallow, the armrest cubby is really shallow, no sunglass holder, no under-seat drawers like my older A4s and GTIs had...

On the other hand, the Homelink means I don't need my garage door opener in the car with me anymore, and the incompatibility with my old clickwheel iPod means I had to migrate my music library onto an SD Card, so I don't need to find room for my iPod. I have less room to stow things, but have fewer things I need to stow...

The only other problem I'm having is that I love driving it so much, I'm piling the miles on too quickly.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Day 8 and another thing I have noticed is that manually downshifting produces almost ZERO engine braking. I assume the ECU blips the throttle to rev match on a downshift and results in almost no engine braking effect. This is very different from all my manual tranny cars.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Onewolf42
Day 8 and another thing I have noticed is that manually downshifting produces almost ZERO engine braking. I assume the ECU blips the throttle to rev match on a downshift and results in almost no engine braking effect. This is very different from all my manual tranny cars.
You won't get the instantaneous slowing like a manual, but after downshifting the car will accelerate less on a downhill. It beats having to tap the brakes.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does driving mode affect it? I've noticed a lot more engine braking in Sport than in Normal mode.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From driving only a few hundred miles, others have mentioned before the homelink has a very short range. The rear backup camera resolution is poor compared to other brands I have experienced. Those are the only gripes I have so far.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm new to the forum and I'm thinking about the switch to Audi from Lexus. I have a RX-330 and a GS-350. They all have their problems like transmission failure ($5,000 dealer cost) on the RX and the A/C failure ($2500 dealer cost). The GS-350 had too many recalls to name and it currently consumes 1.5 to 2 quarts of oil each and every month. Therefore. what I see here on this forum is minor.

Has anyone experienced any real major problem with their A4 (B9)? I want to make the big switch because my Lexus is very boring to drive and I have real problems. By the way, both Lexus that I own were purchased brand new and special ordered. All of you must feel much better than me and I hope the new A4 will be a better driving experiencing.
-Al
Old 07-23-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie10
From driving only a few hundred miles, others have mentioned before the homelink has a very short range. The rear backup camera resolution is poor compared to other brands I have experienced. Those are the only gripes I have so far.
I have the Prestige and the resolution front and back equals or exceeds other makes IMO.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acruxksa
I would add this to my list of dislikes, I hate normal driving mode and am almost exclusively in sport mode. This is mostly because the shifting seems to miss my choices in normal mode but somehow seems to guess better in sport mode. I'm not against having both options, but it would be nice if i could choose a default and it would stay that way through shutdowns and restarts.
Ditto, the only mode i can drive in is Dynamic D or mostly S, the rest are just awful. Also notice a lot of creaks and noises, somtimes it sounds like it is the cheap plastics in the cabin, sometimes outside the car. I only have it a week so will be taking to the dealer for them to look at soon.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here are a few things I dislike (2018 Quattro PP + Sport Package):

1.) The a/c. I feel like I am constantly tweaking the settings during these hot months. I’m sure I could be using the a/c incorrectly. Which a/c setting do you find most quiet and cool?

2.) I wish my heads-up display had better resolution.

3.) I really can’t stand how the center consol has the lift to unlock and close functionality. Drives me nuts. I really don’t mine the small size of the center consol. It helps me keep my car clean and prevents clutter.

4.) My backup cam makes it look as if I am so close to cars on the right/left sides. I really don’t use it
much as I prefer the good ol look at mirrors/over the shoulder approach.

5.) I would love an additional hook on the left side within the trunk (or luggage compartment as Audi states).

6.) The key fob is large and bulky. Could be way better (Love BMW keys).

Ok those are my gripes. Honestly so minor, I love my A4.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2017 Prestige. My gripes are fairly minor as I really like the car:

* MMI Voice Control - The commands aren't as intuitive as they could be. Half the time I have to redo things or have the system remind me what the commands are
* B&O Radio - Doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer volume control in MMI but the standard stereo does
* Rattles - They appear and disappear all the time

Thankfully the ODBEleven can customize a lot of settings. That is undoubtedly my favorite thing about the car.

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?