A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:50 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim84
So far, for most part, I really love my car. Can't really complain too much except for one thing.

I have the most difficulty parking the car straight using a backup camera. I feel like a moron every time because the car looks straight on camera, but when I see from outside, the car is ever so slightly crooked LOL

I think I'm just a bad driver haha
Is it possible the camera is slightly misaligned?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jieg
Seems we would find something wrong even if we had a hand made Rolls Royce.

If it is something really wrong that comprimises safety or wears out your liver, sell the car and buy something different.

If it is something really simple, live with it and focus in enjoying the so many good things about the A4
No car is perfect so yeah one could easily find something wrong with a hand made Rolls Royce. In 2007 I knew a guy who bought a new Bentley Continental. Great car but I wanted to smash the infotainment system to pieces.

You'll never read a car review where they decide a car is perfect with no faults.

I personally think Audi Connect is way too slow. If I send a destination to the car the car first has to check my subscription status, then I have to select an account, then I have to wait for it to load the destinations I sent. By that point I can just manually enter the destination via the MMI interface. BMW's Connected Drive was a far superior system as far as speed and ease of use. Kind of silly that Audi expects you to pay for that slow speed awful response time. You also have to wait quite a bit for the navi screen to even load, then even longer for Google Maps to display. This was another area where iDrive was simply much faster.

That said, minor gripes overall.

Last edited by guy_incognito; 02-22-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Is it possible the camera is slightly misaligned?
Oh that's a very interesting point, I never thought of it from that point of view.

Thanks VM, gonna schedule a time at the dealership and check
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am getting a lot of tiny chips on my windshield lately after five months of ownership. Did some forum searches and it serms Audi glass is “soft”.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh that's a very interesting point, I never thought of it from that point of view.

Thanks VM, gonna schedule a time at the dealership and check
I also thought my backup camera was not properly aligned. I asked the dealer last year, the tech told me there was no adjustment possible on the backup camera. I looked on internet, and I couldn't find any info on how to fix it. If your dealer can align the camera, I would be interested in knowing how.
In the meantime, I got used to correcting what I see in the backup camera so that the car ends up centered in the parking spot...
Old 02-23-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

So far, for most part, I really love my car. Can't really complain too much except for one thing.

I have the most difficulty parking the car straight using a backup camera. I feel like a moron every time because the car looks straight on camera, but when I see from outside, the car is ever so slightly crooked LOL

I think I'm just a bad driver haha
Nothing a good look over your shoulder won't solve. Call me old school but all i use the camera for is to make sure i'm not going to run anyone over or hit something.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default No deal breakers, but...

I've have my A4 for about 9 months now, and here's my shortlist of nit-picks:
-The amount of little noises it makes. Maybe it's because the cabin is otherwise so quite that I hear them more, but little whines and whir sounds are there.
-the foot-activated trunk release is pathetic. I can't tell you how many times I have stood there looking like an idiot, slowly kicking my foot underneath the car a half dozen times before giving up and just using the button.
-rattling back speaker shelf. I've actually had service perform a fix that added more padding but it's not enough.overall, bmw has the better sound system.
-no touch screen for Android Auto or carplay! Why!? This would have been such an easy thing to add. I honestly worry about future compatibility.

Aside from that, I think it's a great car. Definitely fun to drive, and my fuel economy is actually much better than I expected.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

These are things I think would improve the A4/A5. For me, I think the entire car experience would be much better if they worked on reducing rattles, buzzing, and vibrations all over the car. It is one of the things that just stands out and happens a lot due to the poor state of roads in the US. I had a 2014 BMW 428i coupe so compared a bit.

1. Lane departure assist standard on Premium Plus. It is standard a lot of cheaper cars now and you can get in on VWs for a lot cheaper. But standard safety features far better than BMW.
2. Bring back the rear fog light so we don't have an ugly blank where it used to be on 2017 A4. None on my BMW at all.
3. Better sound dampening materials for the B&O system. Like the A4, the A5 coupe's rear decks gets a buzzing if you play anything with bass and forget turning up the subwoofer. I did not have this problem in my 428i since the was a subwoofer under each seat. Perhaps getting rid of the 10" in the deck and copying BMW might be good.
4. A better kick to open trunk. The thing works abysmally and to get it to work you constantly kick the bottom of the bumper. The BMW's didn't work great, but it was better.
5. Touchscreen plus MMI controller.
6. A cacophony of buzzing over textured pavement. It is quite shocking. BMW was not perfect, but seemed better.
7. Front seat headrests that actually go all they way down, but better than BMWs which did not tilt forward enough.
8. Better door materials like padded door armrests like the models with the stitched armrests. No hardish armrests like a cheap compact car. BMW was better.
9. Red light open door warning lights. BMW cheaped out too.
10. Ability to dim instrument panel more.
11. Additional 12v locations in the front. The BMW had one hiding under the glove box so I plugged my iPhone into that and so the cord and plug were hidden from the center console.
12. Better designed and more interior storage. Better glove box, door storage, true closing center console and better rear armrest storage. A sunglass holder? BMW didn't have either.
13. Higher def, better low light visibility rear camera. BMW was better here.
14. Bigger fuel tank by at least a gallon.
15. Adjustable side bolsters on sport seats like BMW.
16. Euro headrests for the rear.
17. Actual tire pressure readings. BMW did it year after mine.
18. I think phone conversations over the interior speakers and microphones could be improved. Friend thought my BMW conversations were clearer.
19. Bigger turn signal indicators in the gauge cluster and brighter LEDs in the door. They wash out in bright light.

Last edited by caranddriver; 02-24-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Non-retention of the 360 camera view in equipped vehicles after ignition shut-off, still no fix in sight.....
Old 07-19-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had my 2018 A4 Quattro for 6 days now, but my biggest complaint is that the center console cup holders are not capable of handling 'Big Gulp' sized cups.

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?