A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

My biggest dislike... the spare tire wheel well will not fit a full sized tire. It’s only deep enough to fit the donut flush with the trunk floor.

At least it’s not a run flat.

Totally happy with with the car otherwise.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The digital instrument cluster has a 99.5% love rate. No one has ever had anything negative to say about it. I honestly feel you'd quickly end up liking it if you had it. The advantages of the digital displays are far more high tech and informative than the non. If you are simply into tradition, then nevermind.
Both cars are sublime. You cannot go wrong with either. Keep in mind though the 3 is an old design about to be yesterday's news once the new model debuts soon.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two issues come to mind for me.

1. Homelink / Remote Garage Door Opening - At least on mine, the signal is weak. On my 4 Runner, I can be halfway down the street when I push the button, the door opens and I can pull in without hesitation. With this car, I have to be nearly in front of the garage before it recognizes the signal. So a few times a day I get to sit there and watch the garage door go up. And with the MT I have it's another gear shift. But hey, a first world problem, correct? When I was a kid growing up in Des Moines I had to get out of the car and lift the garage door for dad, 10 below zero or + 100F. And while I'm on it, homelink on my A4 only works with the car on, not the case with my other vehicles. Perhaps that's a security feature to prevent someone from breaking into the car and then having access to the garage.

2. Seating position. I'm still messing around with that a bit to get it just right. And one habit I have with my other vehicles is to drive with my left elbow/arm on the ledge by the window. I'm 6'1" so I keep my seat fairly low which means the ledge is a bit too high for an arm rest. Like #1 above, a minor issue only. For info purposes, my car has the ventilated sport seats.

And I'll throw this out there, I'd still like to have an engine oil dipstick and I'll also join the chorus of those complaining about the lack of a second trunk light.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:49 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Thanks for the reply! Would you mind clarifying a bit what you don't like about the wipers? (I assume you don't just mean the wiper blades the car comes with! :-)
Regarding the digital speed readout, you might be right, I need to re-check that. The car I test drove had the virtual cockpit. Now that I think about it, a mechanical needle-dial would sort of preclude a digital readout right where the needle's spindle would be. Seems we're 180 degrees opposite w.r.t. dashboard aesthetics! One thing I love about the BMW 3 series is the instrument cluster is very old school analog looking. :-)
I have not tried other wiper blades, so maybe it is only the wiper blades I don't like... plus when I got the car, one of the nozzles was misaligned, so the washer fluid wasn't being sprayed in the right place on the passenger side... (dealer fixed that)

(Anyone reading this have some suggestions for better wiper blades?)
Old 01-28-2018, 06:51 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CDang
The MPG is not close to the Audi's claim most likely due to horrendous Los Angeles traffic.
Yep. Heavy city traffic will destroy fuel economy... though I presume that would be true of any other car. I'm used to seeing 18-20L/100km (metric units!) on mine...
Old 01-28-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

A minor quibble: the door lock remote control range is weak. It’s about 40 yards. My former Lexus was double. When I’m trying to find my car in a parking lot I have to get closer before it beeps
Old 01-28-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Yep. Heavy city traffic will destroy fuel economy... though I presume that would be true of any other car. I'm used to seeing 18-20L/100km (metric units!) on mine...
:O 18-20L/100km is crazy high. Man, all my money will be going on gas.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
:O 18-20L/100km is crazy high. Man, all my money will be going on gas.
But you don't live in downtown Toronto. 18-20L/100km is in an environment where there is basically a light every... 100-200m, average speed is about 14-18km/h, etc?

In a more 'suburban' city environment, you should be able to get in the 9-10L/100kms.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Thanks for the reply! Would you mind clarifying a bit what you don't like about the wipers? (I assume you don't just mean the wiper blades the car comes with! :-)
Regarding the digital speed readout, you might be right, I need to re-check that. The car I test drove had the virtual cockpit. Now that I think about it, a mechanical needle-dial would sort of preclude a digital readout right where the needle's spindle would be. Seems we're 180 degrees opposite w.r.t. dashboard aesthetics! One thing I love about the BMW 3 series is the instrument cluster is very old school analog looking. :-)
I totally agree with VM regarding the wipers, they perform extremely poorly in snowy conditions regardless of the brand you use. There is constantly ice forming between the blade and the surface of the winsheild, the rain sensor mode rarely starts when needed, the sensor does a poor job at detecting the level of rain regardless of the sensitivity setting chosen. A little while ago during heavy rain the speed kept dropping down by itself even though I was on the top fast wiping. All that written, I love the car. It still brings smiles to my face after one and a half year of ownership.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I hate how loud the road noise is through the front wheels
I have changed tires and it isnt any better, sounds like i'm always on a gravel road when coming to a stop
Wish i opted for sport package as the standard seat suck

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?