A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
Clean the lenses of your cameras and you will notice an improvement.
I agree. I have a prestige SQ5 and PP A4 and I find the back up camera quality the same in both cars. I’d be surprised if they have a “better” back up camera for the Prestige A4 and leave Prestige SQ5s out of the equation.

A dirty camera does provide a low res look compared to a clean camera. I always wipe the camera, especially after a drive in the rain or snow.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can try to get some pictures of back up camera this evening since we have both P+ and Prestige in the household.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:14 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
I'll see if I can take some pics next time I'm in a loaner. All the loaners I've been in were 2018's and the camera quality was consistently worse than my 2017 Prestige.
Do Prestiges and Premium Pluses have the same dash screen? I wonder if the quality difference could be on that end...
Old 11-08-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Do Prestiges and Premium Pluses have the same dash screen? I wonder if the quality difference could be on that end...
Pretty sure the MMI display is the same. Along with the rear camera. The additional cameras on Prestige is what is different. I actually just checked both out today after reading this thread but didn’t think of taking photos and I’m pretty sure both looked the same to me. Both my cameras are clean. And the camera on the A4/SQ5 is better than that on the A7.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here are the pics of backup cameras. I realized after the shot that I should have switched Prestige to more of a fish eye view to match. However, on the other hand this is the default mode when in reverse anyway.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The following users liked this post:
Void20 (05-20-2021)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got (back) into an A4 - had A4 B8, C250, A4 B9

Comparison's / dislikes / nigglies:
  • Can't configure B&O startup volume. Come home at night music louder than normal... want much less volume next morning. Had this feature in B8, now gone in B9, not in C250 either (I used to tell friends how Audi did this better, but not anymore)
  • Music volume doesn't gently increment to it's final volume - just gets there (and can be blasting from night before). I think it's also better for speaker to gently increase volume. Again, I had this feature in B8, not in C250
  • Park Brake doesn't auto engage. C250 as soon as driver door opened Park Brake auto came on. I'm trying to get used to pressing Start/Stop button while still in gear where Park automatically engages and Park Brake also seems to engage.
  • Central locking
    • No ability in Australia for beep when car is locked/unlocked. C250 horn sounded briefly when locking (this was AWESOME to confirm car locked, even when not in sight) AND finding my car in a busy car park)
    • Mirrors don't unfold when unlocking car, not even when opening door, only when ignition is started. My preference to see if car is locked/unlocked at a glance back (eg. I opened driver door because forgot something - mirrors still folded). C250 mirrors unfolded on unlock. This is my OCD because I'll walk off and 20 seconds later think, hmm... did I lock the car - dumb, i know, but it's me
    • Turn signals only signal when unlocking car.... ummm, really??? I'd rather confirm visually that my car is locked, not unlocked!
  • Compass in Virtual Cockpit when using Google Maps via Android Auto - why can't VC just follow my path and disable navigation if Audi doesn't want 2 nav's to work simultaneously
  • Many settings seem to intermittently get "lost". Top View camera is an example but I do note new firmware that fixes this.
  • Head up display
    • Would be nice to see current street name, perhaps even next intersection names if navigation isn't active
    • ACC only momentarily stays on head up display when activated but would be nice to see the set speed to help confirm system is active . I know it shows green cars (and these are cute), but sometimes this changes to blinking red cars, then back.... just clunky to know if ACC is on or off - speed limit of ACC would add a perfect touch
  • ACC - why doesn't "Resume" (ie. pull stick towards you) start ACC if it was active rather than have to press the button?
That's it for now.... These are all trivial but the techie in me loves this stuff
Old 12-24-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdeee
Just got (back) into an A4 - had A4 B8, C250, A4 B9

Comparison's / dislikes / nigglies:
  • Can't configure B&O startup volume. Come home at night music louder than normal... want much less volume next morning. Had this feature in B8, now gone in B9, not in C250 either (I used to tell friends how Audi did this better, but not anymore)
  • Music volume doesn't gently increment to it's final volume - just gets there (and can be blasting from night before). I think it's also better for speaker to gently increase volume. Again, I had this feature in B8, not in C250
  • Park Brake doesn't auto engage. C250 as soon as driver door opened Park Brake auto came on. I'm trying to get used to pressing Start/Stop button while still in gear where Park automatically engages and Park Brake also seems to engage.
  • Central locking
    • No ability in Australia for beep when car is locked/unlocked. C250 horn sounded briefly when locking (this was AWESOME to confirm car locked, even when not in sight) AND finding my car in a busy car park)
    • Mirrors don't unfold when unlocking car, not even when opening door, only when ignition is started. My preference to see if car is locked/unlocked at a glance back (eg. I opened driver door because forgot something - mirrors still folded). C250 mirrors unfolded on unlock. This is my OCD because I'll walk off and 20 seconds later think, hmm... did I lock the car - dumb, i know, but it's me
    • Turn signals only signal when unlocking car.... ummm, really??? I'd rather confirm visually that my car is locked, not unlocked!
  • Compass in Virtual Cockpit when using Google Maps via Android Auto - why can't VC just follow my path and disable navigation if Audi doesn't want 2 nav's to work simultaneously
  • Many settings seem to intermittently get "lost". Top View camera is an example but I do note new firmware that fixes this.
  • Head up display
    • Would be nice to see current street name, perhaps even next intersection names if navigation isn't active
    • ACC only momentarily stays on head up display when activated but would be nice to see the set speed to help confirm system is active . I know it shows green cars (and these are cute), but sometimes this changes to blinking red cars, then back.... just clunky to know if ACC is on or off - speed limit of ACC would add a perfect touch
  • ACC - why doesn't "Resume" (ie. pull stick towards you) start ACC if it was active rather than have to press the button?
That's it for now.... These are all trivial but the techie in me loves this stuff
Wow........ dude, none of those things are an issue for me, in the morning i just hit the mute button,
I like that the mirror are ignition active and not door,
My P-brake auto engage with car on and d- door open. Nor sure i understand the Acc neg, mine resumes with a pull of the stak.

I like the fact that the Audi MMI don't hang up or crash like most.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow........ dude, none of those things are an issue for me
Actually, "dislike" is not really the right word... they are little "nigglies" for me. MMI is certainly far superior to the C250 (2015 model) I had, and I do LOVE the tech in this car. Looking forward to updating MMI, hopefully getting a few little tweaks.

But, there is an update:

I have found this is not accurate. The music can be blaring at full loudness but next time the car switches on it does go to a much lower preset volume. I can't find the setting, so volume is likely simply preset by Audi these days - but it is an intelligent well thought of feature.

Again, not accurate. I have a problem that my Audi thinks the bonnet is still up (taking back to dealer tomorrow). I have since read in the manual that Turn Signals should flash once when locking vehicle, EXCEPT when one of the doors, rear lid, or hood is not closed. In my case, it thinks the hood is not closed hence no visual signal the car is locked (still wish we had an audible cue in Australia as well).
Old 12-26-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

• Head up display

Agreed that the HUD could use improvement to keep up with the competition (like BMW), but I want to point out that all that information is available on the dash display when ACC is active, including the set speed. The cars-and-radar-icon will flash red in both the dash and HUD if you get too close to the car in front of you (which is configurable) regardless of whether ACC is on or not, but most of the time you'll see the green icons and that's a clear indicator that ACC is enabled.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

• Central locking
IIRC, this behavior is configured in software and can be changed via OBD11, VCDS, etc. to the desired number of beeps/blinks for both locking and unlocking. I agree that the defaults are silly, but better silly defaults that can be changed than silly defaults you're stuck with.

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?