A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible
I totally agree with VM regarding the wipers, they perform extremely poorly in snowy conditions regardless of the brand you use. There is constantly ice forming between the blade and the surface of the winsheild, the rain sensor mode rarely starts when needed, the sensor does a poor job at detecting the level of rain regardless of the sensitivity setting chosen. A little while ago during heavy rain the speed kept dropping down by itself even though I was on the top fast wiping. All that written, I love the car. It still brings smiles to my face after one and a half year of ownership.
Okay, so basically I probably shouldn't get new wiper blades (my car just hit 10000km a few minutes ago, and you'll remember I got mine a few weeks before you got yours...)

I do agree that I love the car too. Things I like about it:
- the engine. There's a quiet, smooth effortlessness that one wouldn't expect from a 4 banger...
- the technology. Things like the 360 degree camera, the adaptive cruise with traffic jam assist, the virtual cockpit, etc
- the ventilation system. Again, I wasn't expecting much from a European 4 cyl car, but the heat and air conditioning are generally very good
- ride quality. OP may not see it my way, but I deliberately ordered the least sporty configuration possible, and I've been very pleased at how smooth-riding it is
- styling. Like all Audis, it's an understated, not especially aggressive, inoffensive, elegant car. Doesn't scream that you're an a**hole who spent $52K CAD on his car.

I believe two or more professional magazine comparos have placed the B9 in either first or second position (and where it was second, it was behind the Alfa Romeo Giulia, a car that the journalists themselves were hesitant to recommend due to reliability... or lack thereof). It's a good car. Certainly a lot better than the far-more-expensive MB C300 I test drove... (I did not look at BMW because I was looking for a car on the less sporty end of the class)
Old 01-28-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Okay, so basically I probably shouldn't get new wiper blades (my car just hit 10000km a few minutes ago, and you'll remember I got mine a few weeks before you got yours...)

I do agree that I love the car too. Things I like about it:
- the engine. There's a quiet, smooth effortlessness that one wouldn't expect from a 4 banger...
- the technology. Things like the 360 degree camera, the adaptive cruise with traffic jam assist, the virtual cockpit, etc
- the ventilation system. Again, I wasn't expecting much from a European 4 cyl car, but the heat and air conditioning are generally very good
- ride quality. OP may not see it my way, but I deliberately ordered the least sporty configuration possible, and I've been very pleased at how smooth-riding it is
- styling. Like all Audis, it's an understated, not especially aggressive, inoffensive, elegant car. Doesn't scream that you're an a**hole who spent $52K CAD on his car.

I believe two or more professional magazine comparos have placed the B9 in either first or second position (and where it was second, it was behind the Alfa Romeo Giulia, a car that the journalists themselves were hesitant to recommend due to reliability... or lack thereof). It's a good car. Certainly a lot better than the far-more-expensive MB C300 I test drove... (I did not look at BMW because I was looking for a car on the less sporty end of the class)
Yep, I was interested in the MB C300 but transmission wasn't the best. Also it's a lot more expensive! A lot of things come standard with the A4 but not in MB. Paying maybe 10g's more for the same in the C300.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Yep, I was interested in the MB C300 but transmission wasn't the best. Also it's a lot more expensive! A lot of things come standard with the A4 but not in MB. Paying maybe 10g's more for the same in the C300.
Also the C300 comes with run-flat tires (hate run-flats with passion) and no spare tire. The A4 ride is far superior to the C.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have very few complaints about my 2017 A4 P+, it's the ideal car for me. I didn't want Nav , so I chose not to have the virtual cockpit (cool, but only truly useful with Nav). I like the analog dials.
I find standard seats comfortable, the B&O stereo pretty good (car is quiet, which helps), engine/transmission is very good 99% of the time (yes, it feels sluggish in certain conditions, after cruising at low speed, but this disappears in S mode) and I even like auto stop/start that many seem to loathe Just need to time it right (I use it only when I know the red light will be 20 sec or more). Option I wish I had is the cold weather package (there were few moonlight blue A4 available when I bought mine). No big deal.

This said:
- Homelink is not very good. It works at certain distances from the garage door (say 10 feet, 25 feet, 40 feet) but not much in between, I often have to keep pressing the button while slowly driving away until I pass through one of the sweet spots. Never had this problem with the 10 yr old Hyundai Santa Fe.
- Ice tends to stick everywhere... A bit of ice on the windows and it is impossible to open them (the motors seem weak). Ice gets in places where it causes weird noise in the cabin (e.g. between the back window and the truck). All noises go away when it thaws out (but I'm in Michigan,, freezing is far from being uncommon here..)
- I notice little paint chips here and there. It drives me crazy because I take very good care of it, park it away from the crazies etc. The paint adhesion is a bit weak. I'll be looking for touch up pens before long.
- CarPlay is great for navigation. But iPhone disconnects every time the car backs up (if the backup camera shows up on the MMI, I need to physically disconnect and reconnect the phone).
- Voice command for the MMI: not working great for me (must be my European accent.. )

It's nothing I can't live, but it's a bit irritating at times. Otherwise, a really great car.

Last edited by Steven88; 01-29-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my '17 Premium Plus for about 13k miles and 15 months now. Overall, I love the car and my gripes would all be minor, but here they are:
  • CarPlay is buggy. It's definitely a better experience than not having it, but I have all kinds of glitchy issues with not connecting, Spotify not working, sound coming out of the phone instead of the car speakers...
  • Having to pay for Audi Connect to get traffic information in the navigation. Maybe not fair to include this since I knew it going in, but still a dislike.
  • The transmission sometimes gets caught off guard when rolling through a turn and then accelerating out of the turn. I think that this is mostly an issue in normal mode, but I rarely drive in sport, so I'm not 100% sure
  • The paint is really prone to chips. I already have had 3 bad chips from road debris. In my previous Acura, I never got a single chip as bad as the 3 that I already got on the A4
The car has been everything that I'd hoped for. I've had one issue in 15 months and it is very minor (car alarm goes off if the key is outside and nearby when washing the car). I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Well, actually, I'd buy the A4 Prestige, but that's a different post.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned the B9 for almost 2 years in April.

Things i hate on this car:
1. I have been to dealer 6 times in the first 14 months due to issues(noise from under the steering wheel when jumping potholes, plastic around the gearshift coming off, cloth from the front passenger seat coming off, lots of software issues etc). Reliability was a big issue for me.
2. Poor software: When meeting a certain precondition(daytime, over 20 degrees celsius, in sun) makes the temperature at start at 0 degrees and starts climbing every few mins up, when its very cold the car resets all short distance and long distance trip to zero, again poor software with bugs, playing music from USB(btw very important for me when not charging my phone:in which case i enjoy spotify) does not start after first start and keeps thinking etc. Most of these are fixed at different times via software patches/updates.(updates took a very long time for Audi to get it to the consumers)
3. USB Software: When playing from USB, i like to keep it on random, when i switch inputs it resets and i have to put to random everytime, very annoying.
4. Poor vipers: gets icy very fast
5. Windshield liquid consumption: With my previous Audi I was able to control the amount, with this one, it feels like i need to fill it up every 2-3 months.
6. Hate any setting except Dyanamic: Since i drive in city(mostly to work and back), there are a lot of traffic lights hence dont have dynamic, when pulling off from stop, there is this annoying lag especially at corners, very annoying
7. Carplay: Still buggy, voice control does not work most of the times, many times does not come up fast enough, needs hard reset of the MMI very often, annoying when i need to use maps and i am in a hurry.
8. Audi SmartKey does not unlock if the car is standing over the weekend, again annoying fishing key out to unlock.

These imo are minor when I look at the main function of the car, engine is nice, handling is great, internal build feels solid and it still feels great after 2 years of ownership.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VM
Things I don't like?
and I'd be inclined to be critical of the transmission. I'd be VERY curious to drive this engine paired with a torque converter auto and see how it does... (but you're looking at the manual anyways so who cares)
I actually like the automatic transmission of the A4 B9. Have always driven manual transmission cars and have disliked automatic transmissions of the past, especially those older GM rental cars I had to use on business trips in which there was a big lag on pushing on the gas pedal and seeing any increase in speed. But the A4 B9 dual-clutch automatic transmission seems pretty solid feeling. With a dual-clutch transmission there is no torque converter but just a solid mechanical linkage between the engine and the wheels like in a manual transmission, right? I'm pretty impressed with it.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savi01
1. I hate how many rattles there are now in the cabin. From the speaker covers, to the dash... it's getting REALLY annoying. I've had my dealer take care of a couple of the rattles, but for the speaker covers they did a half-*** job and I ended up removing them and adding felt tape myself..
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. To say that I am disappointed with the interior integrity of this car would be an understatement.

When I was finishing up the lease on my last vehicle, a Cadillac ATS, I was considering purchasing a wide variety of options, from a Mazda 3 to an ATS-V and several in between. At the end of my search, I decided I just didn’t want to end up in a cheaper feeling car after having had the solid, luxury sportiness of the ATS, but I didn’t want to spend ATS-V money. The Audi was a wonderful driving car in the middle of my price range consideration, and so it became my purchase decision.

Within four months of owning this vehicle it had developed more irritating rattles and creaks than my ATS had in four years. I used to say that it almost ruined the experience of the entire car: now I say that it DOES ruin the experience of the whole car.

The reason is simple: in every other respect, this vehicle is fantastic, and far and away a better car than the ATS (excpt maybe in sporty feel, but that is another story). But the general lousiness of the interior integrity makes the car SEEM cheap. The entire experience of driving a car comes when one is in the interior (of course), so when the interior is creaky, rattly, and annoying, it really does ruin the entire experience. If I had wanted a cheap feeling car, I would have bought a cheap car.

I apologize if this post seems troll-like or sour-grapey. I am not normally given to over-wrought hyperbole, and generally I stay balanced about things of this nature. But I have had the car for almost one year now, and for me, this lack of interior integrity is unforgiveable for a luxury automobile.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ‘17 Prestige has no rattles.

My biggest gripe is that audio settings (bass/treble) are not saved separately for different sources.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Little to hate but a few gripes

i came out of 2007 3 series which I loved !
now have premium plus with sport package, manual transmission, virtual cockpit
very happy with the car overall

issues
hate - the auto engine on off that can’t be permanently set to on !!!
Gripes
like virtual cockpit but without google option purchased monthly mapping kind of sucks, I use Apple car play as a substitute which defeats most of the purpose of virtual cockpit, not sure what it looks like without virtual cockpit but could probably live without it.
sport seats nice but would have loved electric bolster option to tighten up the feel - had that in 10 year old sport seats in my BMW
Car handles great, excelleration fabulous, but maybe could have been a little tighter in the corners - again comparing to older BMW and pre electric
sterring
like others the Apple car play can be a bit buggy
would have liked the option to get safety feature like auto cruise control and auto high beams without having to buy a Prestige

the following is a bit disconcerting but hard to get a handle on :
car on occasion stalls as you stop the start to go - unable to dupilicate, dealer had no reports, has occurred maybe 4 or 5 times since I bought Car last May, not sure if it has anything to do with stop start and manual transmission, just very odd

all in all though a great choice

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?