A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great feedback here - thanks for all the replies! I'm a bit surprised at the mentions of wintery weather related things (bad wipers/windshield icing and parking dist sensors being confused by snow). Audi and Subaru are basically the two brands I completely expect to know how to build winter-capable cars. Well, I guess BMW and MB belong there too but really it's Audi and Subaru first to me, probably because AWD is a cornerstone of their brand.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a specific question, for those who do NOT have the virtual cockpit. (I know at least one responder here - Steve88- has the analog gauges.)
I watched a review video where the car being driven had the analog gauges and I noticed the dash board still has a digital speed readout, in addition to the speedometer gauge. From what I can tell, the analog gauge dashboard has a small computer-screen display between the speed and tachometer gauges which shows a lot of the same info as the virtual cockpit, but in smaller format and w/o Nav obviously.

So my question is, in the analog guage dashboard, can you TURN OFF the digital speed readout? Yes, I know this is nitpicky but I'm rather OCD and there are two things I dislike here: 1. Duplication of information. Dont tell me the same thing twice. 2. Digital speedometers. I *HATE* digital speedometers. I'm old enough to remember terrible American cars from the 1980's and a lot of them had cheesy *** digital instrument clusters, in pathetic attempts to make the car look high tech and distract attention away from the terrible build and engineering. And sadly a lot of ppl bought into it, but I digress. :-)

This will not be a dealbreaker but I remain curious. Is there a way to turn off the digital speed readout in the analog guage dashboard?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Great feedback here - thanks for all the replies! I'm a bit surprised at the mentions of wintery weather related things (bad wipers/windshield icing and parking dist sensors being confused by snow). Audi and Subaru are basically the two brands I completely expect to know how to build winter-capable cars. Well, I guess BMW and MB belong there too but really it's Audi and Subaru first to me, probably because AWD is a cornerstone of their brand.
FWIW, all my cars with parking sensors have freaked out when there is snow or ice on them, including BMW and Volvo so I don't think it is an Audi-only problem.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Here's a specific question, for those who do NOT have the virtual cockpit. (I know at least one responder here - Steve88- has the analog gauges.)
I watched a review video where the car being driven had the analog gauges and I noticed the dash board still has a digital speed readout, in addition to the speedometer gauge. From what I can tell, the analog gauge dashboard has a small computer-screen display between the speed and tachometer gauges which shows a lot of the same info as the virtual cockpit, but in smaller format and w/o Nav obviously.

So my question is, in the analog guage dashboard, can you TURN OFF the digital speed readout? Yes, I know this is nitpicky but I'm rather OCD and there are two things I dislike here: 1. Duplication of information. Dont tell me the same thing twice. 2. Digital speedometers. I *HATE* digital speedometers. I'm old enough to remember terrible American cars from the 1980's and a lot of them had cheesy *** digital instrument clusters, in pathetic attempts to make the car look high tech and distract attention away from the terrible build and engineering. And sadly a lot of ppl bought into it, but I digress. :-)

This will not be a dealbreaker but I remain curious. Is there a way to turn off the digital speed readout in the analog guage dashboard?
The Driver Information System (DIS) a.k.a. board computer can show all kinds of data, miles to empty, average fuel consumption, time since last start, etc. and current speed which is just one of them. The DIS should remember the last selection, so if you turn the car of with i.e. miles to empty it should start with miles to empty. If you have Navigation Plus with analog gauges then the DIS is the higher resolution color version instead of monochrome and will actually show the map/navigation screen between the analog gauges.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate that when I put the car in reverse, if the front sensors are near anything like the garage door, they beep at me. Dude, I'm going in reverse. Don't beep at me. It makes me nervous.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

jyang, and AudiA4B6US: Thank you for the info.
Nostromo: That's very strange, not sure what to make of it!
Again, all the replies are appreciated!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems we would find something wrong even if we had a hand made Rolls Royce.

If it is something really wrong that comprimises safety or wears out your liver, sell the car and buy something different.

If it is something really simple, live with it and focus in enjoying the so many good things about the A4
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Seat / Pedals.. I've now put 22000 Miles on mine since July 2017. I STILL cannot find a position where some part of my body (Mostly shins/heel/ankle) doesn't ache.
I feel like i'm constantly adjusting myself or my seat, never had this much trouble in nearly 2 decades of driving,

2) Rattling noises.. My car is riddled with them.
Passenger door speaker grill.. constant resonating vibration noise through the suspension.. worsened by certain bass tones. (Been to Audi twice.. no fault found)
Drivers seat belt top adjuster.. Creaking noise when on certain rough surfaces, becomes a squeak when in cold temperatures (Been to Audi twice.. no fault found)

3) MMI
CarPlay takes an eternity to initialise the smartphone interface... When it finally does, often bugs out. Ended up in a Citroen courtesy vehicle at the start of the year (Due to HGV RTA), CarPlay was instant, the second I plugged the phone in it was on screen
Navigation. I use google maps and data.. can often take 15/20 minutes to come online and present traffic data.. Not at all helpful when trying to determine the best route home in rush hour.

Overall i'm impressed with the mechanics of the vehicle.. but so thoroughly disappointed by the quality issues on a near £40k car.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can turn it off, or choose to display gas consumption info, or radio station/media info, or phone contacts. I usually display the real time MPG.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, for most part, I really love my car. Can't really complain too much except for one thing.

I have the most difficulty parking the car straight using a backup camera. I feel like a moron every time because the car looks straight on camera, but when I see from outside, the car is ever so slightly crooked LOL

I think I'm just a bad driver haha

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about your B9 A4?