A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What are your favorite Drive Select Settings....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
I wonder what the difference is? I thought you had a fully-equipped Allroad. Mine is a 2017 Allroad Premium + built in 08/16.
Mine is the sedan. Not allroad. And I don't have the CAS and sport package.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevenspinner
Funny story--I started out driving in Comfort, and found it pleasantly soft. But in day-to-day driving, I find Auto is the perfect match, for reasons similar to what you listed. The steering feel is perfect, and everything feels controlled and just soft enough.

I'm curious what you'll think of Comfort mode. I enjoyed it for in-town driving, but I had a *lot* of trouble getting used to how soft the steering feel is. I found I was over correcting during sharp turns. Perhaps I'll get used to it with time, but I don't see myself using it that often. Comfort suspension and Auto steering however in Individual mode is definitely something I can get behind, though
Haven't tried comfort yet, but I'll tell you, I got in my Honda Accord yesterday while the wife and I were out running errands (didn't want to dirty the car with the Mulch and Water Softner Salt we were buying), and the first thing I noticed was how much harder/heavier the sterring wheel for the accord felt. It felt like I was going from a car with power steering to one without....of course I got used to the accord again quickly, but it's amazing just how buttery smooth the Audi feels.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
Haven't tried comfort yet, but I'll tell you, I got in my Honda Accord yesterday while the wife and I were out running errands (didn't want to dirty the car with the Mulch and Water Softner Salt we were buying), and the first thing I noticed was how much harder/heavier the sterring wheel for the accord felt. It felt like I was going from a car with power steering to one without....of course I got used to the accord again quickly, but it's amazing just how buttery smooth the Audi feels.
Yup. Try driving my wife's Odyssey Minivan filled with my family after driving the Audi
Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
I had a similar feel going back to my 16 Civic after the test drive. I'm not sure how different the Accord is, but the heaviness was also something I noticed. It wasn't unpleasant, but definitely nowhere near the A4's level of refinement. I drove it in Individual the first week with the steering set to Dynamic so I could "wean" myself off the old muscle memory.

I'm in the third week now, and I just got back from a romp in Dynamic. Perhaps it's my newness to four-ring-things, but I didn't think a car could be that fast and still soak up bumps.

Has anyone noticed the steering gets more communicative the faster you drive? I have not much else to compare it to--the Civic was rather numb--but feeling the front wheel's feedback was a pleasant surprise.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drove in dynamic mode non-sports from Denver to Little Rock yesterday. Had my car in cruise control 99% of the time going 82 in a 75 and 67 in a 60 mile zones. Got close 35.6 MPG on my last fill up with the AC on the whole time but minimal fan speed.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little confused by some of the Drive Select changes in Dynamic mode as far as the engine and transmission go. When the car is put in Dynamic the tranny goes to S mode. So for those of you are then putting the transmission back in D mode, isn't that basically equivalent to putting the drive select back to Auto, at least as.far as engine/transmission is concerned? Wouldn't this be the same as.setring up individual mode to be Dynamic Steering and Auto otherwise? As far as I can see reading the manual , for cars without adaptive suspension, Dynamic drive select and S transmission mode are essentially the same thing
Am I missing something here?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dawkins20
I'm a little confused by some of the Drive Select changes in Dynamic mode as far as the engine and transmission go. When the car is put in Dynamic the tranny goes to S mode. So for those of you are then putting the transmission back in D mode, isn't that basically equivalent to putting the drive select back to Auto, at least as.far as engine/transmission is concerned? Wouldn't this be the same as.setring up individual mode to be Dynamic Steering and Auto otherwise? As far as I can see reading the manual , for cars without adaptive suspension, Dynamic drive select and S transmission mode are essentially the same thing
Am I missing something here?
Dynamic mode without the adaptive suspension has two components--throttle response, and steering. I'd imagine at the very least, switching back into D from S while in Dynamic makes the throttle less sensitive, but keeps the steering firm. I think even without the optional suspension, there is some added suspension firmness, but don't quote me on that.

Think of driving in Dynamic in D instead of S as the same as driving in Individual with the steering set to "Dynamic" and the throttle set to "Auto".
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of driving in Dynamic in D instead of S as the same as driving in Individual with the steering set to "Dynamic" and the throttle set to "Auto".
Ok, this is what I though by reading the manual. My take was having Individual mode set up to Dynamic steering and Auto engine/transmission was exactly the same as Dynamic in D. So if I then use the stick to put it in S, that's exactly the same as Dynamic mode. Wasn't sure if there were any differences I was missing
Old 09-13-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I think even without the optional suspension, there is some added suspension firmness, but don't quote me on that.
"adaptive damping" is required in order for Audi Drive Select to affect the suspension settings.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mostly comfort

I got my A4 mostly for its comfortable and quiet ride, so I spent most of the first two weeks of ownership in Comfort mode exclusively. It’s so nice to hold a conversation or to just listen to music without road and wind noise getting in the way.

To combat lag when starting from a standstill, I’ve been experimenting with Individual where I set steering to comfort and the rest to dynamic. So far it’s been pretty good in that setting. I do not have adaptive suspension as they removed that as an option from the 2018 model. If it had been available, I would have opted for the comfort adaptive suspension in a heartbeat. Why Audi took it out, I don’t know.