A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

When will the B10s come out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default When will the B10s come out?

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I'm wondering if any of you Audi insiders know of any timetable for the release of the B10? Next spring my lease will be up, and I will need to decide whether to keep my car or trade it in for a new one. I'm leaning towards keeping the car, if I can time my payments to end when or before the B10 is for sale.

Since the A4 was introduced, new models have hit the market in the following time frame:
  • B5 (1996) to B6 (2002) -- 6 years
  • B6 (2002) to B8 (2009) -- 7 years (Note: I consider the B7 a mostly cosmetic update, since most of the body, chassis and interior remained the same)
  • B8 (2009) to B9 (2017) -- 8 years (although the car was available for sale in the U.S. in early 2016)
I will have had my car for three years when the lease expires. I figure that if I finance it for four more years, I'll be ready for when the B10s come out.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Too early for anyone to know, but your graph showing A4 history is a decent indication. I'd go ahead and buy your car, make payments, and you can always sell it outright or trade it in when the next one comes along. You are in charge there, as it's your choice which year you want to let your car go. Just look at it this way... the longer you own it, the more time you have to pay it off. So you are in the driver's seat.
Another option you have is to lease the facelift model for three years, and that should put you close to or right at the B10 debut. But personally, I'd avoid a first model year run if it were me, as they are sometimes a shade more troublesome (more recalls). You also pay quite a bit more on first model year leases.

Last edited by SFV A4; 10-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SFV A4
. . . personally, I'd avoid a first model year run if it were me, as they are sometimes a shade more troublesome (more recalls). You also pay quite a bit more on first model year leases.
I have owned four A4s and each one was a first-model-year run. The only major problems were with suspension bushings (B5), which Audi of America reimbursed me for after I wrote them an angry letter, and a high-oil-use issue (B8), which was repaired for free under a recall.

Keep in mind that the A4 is introduced in Europe a year before going on sale in the U.S.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I have owned four A4s and each one was a first-model-year run. The only major problems were with suspension bushings (B5), which Audi of America reimbursed me for after I wrote them an angry letter, and a high-oil-use issue (B8), which was repaired for free under a recall.

Keep in mind that the A4 is introduced in Europe a year before going on sale in the U.S.
My first year B6 was a PIA with coil packs. My wife's car, also a first year B6, also a PIA with coil packs. I sold mine off after 18 months. My wife's car lasted almost 10 years.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The average typical model lifecycle is 7 years before a major redesign occurs. The B9 was delayed, hence it took a little longer. So the earliest you'll see a B10 available for sale will be 2024. But there will be a facelift about three years into the lifecycle. All Germans do midcycle refreshes of their models, so by 2020 we'll most likely see a B9.5. Speculation is that at that point we may see a new interior with the all new MMI from the new A6,7,8.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with Superswiss. Some people have been calling the changes this year a facelift but the changes were so minimal that I think it was just a model year change. The B9.5 facelift will probably include new electronics and possible a new engine option. The facelift will appear in another year to 18 months. Then in 2023 or 2024 we will see the B10.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I agree with Superswiss. Some people have been calling the changes this year a facelift but the changes were so minimal that I think it was just a model year change. The B9.5 facelift will probably include new electronics and possible a new engine option. The facelift will appear in another year to 18 months. Then in 2023 or 2024 we will see the B10.
Yes, there are model year changes throughout. Usually new options and packages become available every model year, new wheels and such, but that doesn't qualify as a midcycle refresh. Midcycle refreshes usually involve exterior and interior design changes, sometimes power and engine updates, new transmissions and tech updates.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If Audi and every motoring journal are calling it a facelift then a facelift it must be despite them being discreet, which has always been the Audi way..
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
My first year B6 was a PIA with coil packs. My wife's car, also a first year B6, also a PIA with coil packs. I sold mine off after 18 months. My wife's car lasted almost 10 years.
Yes, you're right. I had completely forgotten about the coil pack issue with my B6. However, my dealership replaced them at no cost to me.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I’m not so hopeful about the B10 since there are talks Audi is evaluating platform options for the B10 and they may move the A4 from MLB to MQB. Also there is a good chance the B10 will use the Quattro Ultra system instead of the permanent AWD system we currently have in our cars.

Quick Reply: When will the B10s come out?