A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Where Would You Buy/Install New Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Would You Buy/Install New Tires?

I have a 2017 A4 Prestige, and the original 18" Pirelli's will need replacing in another 5K miles or so - they currently have around 35K miles on them. I'm considering Michelins as replacements, as I've had good luck with them in the past. The problem is that I live in rural Southern Oregon without a lot of tire purchase/installation options. My Audi dealer is 300 miles away in Portland. Would you take a chance and order the tires and try to find someone locally to install them, or have the dealer do it and pay the cost premium? The dealer has been very good and I trust them. I'm not sure I trust any of the local installers with my Audi.

Thanks for any opinions.

Sean
Old 05-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

At the end of the day, a wheel is just a wheel and tire is just a tire. If you have any shops near you, I would trust that they can perform the most basic task within their business model. Always do your research on the shop before allowing them to do any work and check out the shop in person. If it looks dirty and beat up, chances are that it will translate into their work. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Try the TireRack. They work with qualified installers and can ship the tires directly to them.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (12-01-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I ordered tires and brought them to Costco to have them installed. They did a great job and only like $18/tire to mount and balance. No issues and they use Nitrogen in the tires which Ive always made fun of, but they actually hold consistent pressure over temperature swings. I am impressed.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

My top priority: Are they going to damage my wheels?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
My top priority: Are they going to damage my wheels?
^ this + usage of torque wrenches + road force balancing equipment.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric@BDWheels
Always do your research on the shop before allowing them to do any work and check out the shop in person. If it looks dirty and beat up, chances are that it will translate into their work. Just my 2 cents.
👍
Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Curry
I have a 2017 A4 Prestige, and the original 18" Pirelli's will need replacing in another 5K miles or so - they currently have around 35K miles on them. I'm considering Michelins as replacements, as I've had good luck with them in the past. The problem is that I live in rural Southern Oregon without a lot of tire purchase/installation options. My Audi dealer is 300 miles away in Portland. Would you take a chance and order the tires and try to find someone locally to install them, or have the dealer do it and pay the cost premium? The dealer has been very good and I trust them. I'm not sure I trust any of the local installers with my Audi.

Thanks for any opinions.

Sean
Same year and model. Replaced 18” Pirelli’s at 40k miles w/ Michelin AS3+ at Costco. My second choice would be TireRack, hopefully there’s a TireRack certified installer near by.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

I've used Tire Rack for 30 years - now that tires can be shipped directly to my nearby installer, it's even easier. The online reviews, ratings, and comparison tests are very useful.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I just used tirebuyer for new 18” Mich Pilot 3+ a/s. They ship free to your local install shop and guarantee installation price. Mine was $75 installed. Ordered on Saturday mounted on Tuesday. The shop manager said next time call the shop directly and they would match or beat their price. All in all, very positive experience and very reasonable cost.

Quick Reply: Where Would You Buy/Install New Tires?