A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Winter weather window woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Winter weather window woes

My area didn't get much of the recent winter storm but about a quarter inch of ice and 2 inches of snow and lows of 5 degrees F. Not bad really as compared to what others got im sure but even as it warms to the mid 40's today the A4 is still having drivers window issues.
In addition to my A4 all my vehicles from a 2016 civic coupe to the 2011 Jetta and 2 Chevy work vans suffered from severely frozen windows and doors. it took me over an hour to get into my main work van, locks frozen too, and the windows wont roll down until this morning. The Civic with the remote start was easiest to get up and running, door froze shut more than the window really. Now the A4 doors were not froze shut at all but none of the windows would work until later in the evening and my wife stopped at starbucks drive thru on the way home and when she rolled the drivers window down it continued to go up and down by itself like 3 times before staying down for the drive thru transaction. She comes home and car sets for a while and my son takes it get him something to eat and gets to the drive thru and window goes down nicely but doesn't come back up, cold drive home lol at 10F. I went out and put the OBDeleven on it and it gave an error code of "Motor for window regulator -- no basic settings". i cleared it and window didn't work after and i pulled the same code again. I went inside and searched this board for window problems and most were for auto up and down not working and that gave me the idea to hold up on the drivers window button for 5 seconds but no joy. So i go inside for a trash bag to drape over the window and after doing so i lock the car and start inside and realize i left the obdeleven in the port and grab door handle to get it and set off the alarm. i stop the alarm and open the door thereby upsetting the nice trash bag job i had spent 10 minutes gently tucking in all around and i grab my obdeleven and push the power button and pull the window switch up and the window rolls up. IDK what the difference was but was happy it was up no matter.
This morning i remind my wife to not roll down the window until i have time to look at it later after it warms up. She of course forgets and rolls the window down at Starbucks and i wont go back up. She doesn't tell me of course but i just happen to drive by her office to make sure she parked the car with the drivers door towards the sun and i find it down. She confesses its down because she forgot and it wouldn't go back up. I reach inside and hit the power button and pull the window button up and of course up it comes. At this point im not sure whats going on. I'm thinking water may have gotten into the door as it rained hard for two straight days before it dropped to 5F the other night.
Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

This happened to me about a month after I got my car. I also tried doing the Auto-window reset but didnt work. I brought it in to service and they said the module for the regulator had to be reprogrammed, there was nothing I could have done.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well after a nice sunny day of 47F the window is once again working normally. I guess something was frozen up preventing normal operation.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by dbias
Well after a nice sunny day of 47F the window is once again working normally. I guess something was frozen up preventing normal operation.
Weird, but glad it got sorted out.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

This happened to me the other day in that 5 degree weather we had. The passenger window was frozen in the UP position, all other windows worked well. After driving into a public garage, it was warm enough to unfreeze that window.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Reading this thread I think I experienced something similar the other day in the Q7, also in that 5 degree weather we had. The window opened but made a loud pop sound like it was stuck, fortunately it didn't break. I just figured it was because it was warm and raining with temps in the high 40's on Sunday and by Monday morning it was 5 degrees with 25+MPH winds which caused everything to freeze.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day we had temps in the teens here in PA and I was at a drive thru with my 18 A4 and I could not get my window to come down. Had to go and park and press the window down a few times and finally, it budged free.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this exact thing happen the other day, when it was below freezing out. I came out to my car at lunch time, and the ice had melted from the sun, so I rolled all of my windows down to remove the water droplets. All of my windows went down and the back up fine, but my drivers window would not stay up. I would auto-up the window, it would roll up, pause for less than one second, and roll all the way back down. It did this 3-4 times and then it finally stayed up. It hasn't done it since. But, two days later, my trunk popped open twice on its own, after closing it. I'm going to check the codes with my OBDEleven in a little bit. Have any of you experienced the same issues?
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mlewisii
I had this exact thing happen the other day, when it was below freezing out. I came out to my car at lunch time, and the ice had melted from the sun, so I rolled all of my windows down to remove the water droplets. All of my windows went down and the back up fine, but my drivers window would not stay up. I would auto-up the window, it would roll up, pause for less than one second, and roll all the way back down. It did this 3-4 times and then it finally stayed up. It hasn't done it since. But, two days later, my trunk popped open twice on its own, after closing it. I'm going to check the codes with my OBDEleven in a little bit. Have any of you experienced the same issues?

Yes on the trunk popping open. Very unsettling to park the car, go shopping or what not and find the trunk open. I had Audi reset the key fob to a 3 second delay. Problem solved.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in winterland and here is my observation on this matter.. (A4 Allroad)

if you try too much to open the window while it’s frozen, it seems like there is a kind of sensor that will prevent the window motor inside the door to overtork.
If the window eventually comes down after several attempts, this is where it gets tricky. I noticed that my window would go down (and stay down) no matter if I pressed UP or DOWN on the button.

I found that shutting down the engine, opening and closing the door eventually resets the system, and when starting the car back, the window will function normally.

It is very frustrating. I live in cold weather and need to open my window everyday to swipe a card to get to work. Every once in a while it won’t open. It’s my third A4 and they all behave badly, although this weird behaviour described above seems to be a first. Windows will freeze as soon as the temp reaches 32F/0C. Once cold for a while however, it will work normally. The problem now is the increasing Yoyo weather pattern that we see more and more, i.e. deep freeze at night and above freezing during the day. That’s when it gets bad..

Audis are nice, but their electrical windows definitely suck.

The following users liked this post:
forbsy (12-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Winter weather window woes