A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Windshield wiper streaks/hazing?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield wiper streaks/hazing?

I am experiencing a permanent hazy mark that lines up with the windshield wiper when its in the up position shown here. https://imgur.com/a/kLPwi
I have tried using a clay bar, 70% isopropyl alcohol, Invisible Glass, Meguiar's D101 (1:10) with no luck. The surface feels smooth to the touch, no different than the surrounding glass.

There is also a generic haze that seems to coat the entire windshield for about 2-4 seconds after the wipers complete a wipe. It disappears and the glass looks completely clear. In addition, there is a spot on the windshield that doesn't seem to get wiped properly and instead has water smushed across even after the rest of the haziness of the windshield goes away. You can see what I am referring to in this video. https://streamable.com/nl75g

Anyone experiencing the same issues I have here? Any ideas on how to fix them?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, that's dirt and contaminants that get smeared over the windshield. Mix one of those spray bottles with a 50/50 mixture of 90% isopropyl alcohol and water. Use this mixture to regularly clean the glass inside and out with a micro fiber cloth. Forget about commercial glass cleaners. They are all garbage. Then use cotton ***** soaked in isopropyl alcohol (I use 70%) and clean the rubber on the wipers with it until the cotton doesn't turn black anymore or as clean as you can get them. The alcohol/water mixture will over time get that film of your windshield and the clean wipers will avoid smearing more contaminants on it. This regimen has finally mostly cured this issue for me.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-13-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks like something new to try (Iso/water mix). I've had this issue quite a few times.... Wiper chatter and the streaks during the rain, irk me to no end!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Intersting! May I also suggest a clay bar. I used a clay bar to get find contaminents off the windshield this weekend. Worked really well. But I would give superswiss' try first since that means no investment needed.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Alcohol will quickly degrade the rubber wiper blades and cause them to dry out. I agree with everything else but would not use alcohol on rubber period.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by securityguy
Alcohol will quickly degrade the rubber wiper blades and cause them to dry out. I agree with everything else but would not use alcohol on rubber period.
I should clarify on this one. Don't do this every time you clean the windshield. I do this maybe once a year before the rainy season starts. And also wash off the rubber with water afterwards. I learned this trick from some detailing website. Haven't had an issue with the wiper rubber drying out, plus wiper blades are wear items and need to be replaced eventually anyway. If all that road gunk is left on the wiper blades it just keeps getting smeared over the windshield again and the only other option is to replace the wiper blades. So cleaning them off with alcohol actually prolongs their lifetime, despite the risk of drying out the rubber.

Also, I forgot to mention that I usually apply Adam's detailing spray on the outside of the glass after cleaning, which leaves it nice and slick and helps future dirt from coming off easier.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-14-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, that's dirt and contaminants that get smeared over the windshield. Mix one of those spray bottles with a 50/50 mixture of 90% isopropyl alcohol and water. Use this mixture to regularly clean the glass inside and out with a micro fiber cloth. Forget about commercial glass cleaners. They are all garbage. Then use cotton ***** soaked in isopropyl alcohol (I use 70%) and clean the rubber on the wipers with it until the cotton doesn't turn black anymore or as clean as you can get them. The alcohol/water mixture will over time get that film of your windshield and the clean wipers will avoid smearing more contaminants on it. This regimen has finally mostly cured this issue for me.
I have already tried using isopropyl alcohol with no luck. Are you suggesting that I need to continue to wipe it over and over again until I see results? I have tried around 5 solid wipes with it and there was no noticable improvement to neither the vertical streak nor patchy wet area.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Quattrp
I have already tried using isopropyl alcohol with no luck. Are you suggesting that I need to continue to wipe it over and over again until I see results? I have tried around 5 solid wipes with it and there was no noticable improvement to neither the vertical streak nor patchy wet area.
No, that stuff won't come out. I believe that's actually fine scratches from the dirt on the wipers and the damage is already done. My suggestion helps it from getting worse and also reduces the film you are getting when wiping. To get rid of those marks and patchy areas you'll have to polish the glass using a glass polishing kit.

For example (don't know if this one is any good):
Amazon Amazon

I had similar marks on my original windshield, but that got replaced due to a crack and then the replacement glass got cracked again and replaced, so I'm on my third windshield. I've been keeping this one clean using the alcohol/water mixture and keeping the blades clean to avoid getting it all scratched up again. So far so good after one rainy winter.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
No, that stuff won't come out. I believe that's actually fine scratches from the dirt on the wipers and the damage is already done. My suggestion helps it from getting worse and also reduces the film you are getting when wiping. To get rid of those marks and patchy areas you'll have to polish the glass using a glass polishing kit.

For example (don't know if this one is any good): https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Polishi.../dp/B001RAQGXC

I had similar marks on my original windshield, but that got replaced due to a crack and then the replacement glass got cracked again and replaced, so I'm on my third windshield. I've been keeping this one clean using the alcohol/water mixture and keeping the blades clean to avoid getting it all scratched up again. So far so good after one rainy winter.
It really is fine scratches from the wiper? I've only had the B9 for 3 months and I already have it. Is the windshield really that sensitive the dirt? My old crappy Toyota's windshield never got as bad as my nearly brand new A4 is.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streaking

My car for the same thing since initial delivery. At night in the rain it was really difficult to see. As the wiper passed over the windshield it leave a foggy stress behind. As it was just starting to clear up the wet would move past again and cause the fog again. I tried everything, glass cleaners, alcohol, 3M Easy Erasing pad, clay bar, microfiber cloth. Nothing worked. I sent a lot of time cleaning that windshield.
did some research and bought some "Auto Glass Stripper" from Amazon. That stuff worked great! One application took care of the problem and it hasn't come back. My thinking is that there was some sort of silicone on the windshield. Maybe it was a protectant used during shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield wiper streaks/hazing?