A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Winter tune for A4 Ultra Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tune for A4 Ultra Sport

Does anyone know if there are different settings/tuning that a dealer does for cars in colder weather versus warmer weather? I purchased my A4 Ultra Sport from a dealership in Florida, but am wondering if I need to take it in and have it assessed for weather here in Denver. My ABS seems to be pretty sensitive on snow here, and am wondering if it is a setting or if I am losing more traction than I think.

Thank you
Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

No tuning or changes are made. Cars are designed to be driven in any type of weather conditions. Are you new to driving on snow? If not, it could be the crappy tires they put on these cars or that the ABS is just that sensitive. Otherwise, theres nothing you would have changed.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Gotcha. Looking again now at the spec sheet, they plopped summer tires on the Ultra Sport - I thought they were all seasons. Wondering now if it is worth swapping to all seasons, or if I should go with a Winter tire and swap between winter/summer tires when the seasons change.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Specisback
Gotcha. Looking again now at the spec sheet, they plopped summer tires on the Ultra Sport - I thought they were all seasons. Wondering now if it is worth swapping to all seasons, or if I should go with a Winter tire and swap between winter/summer tires when the seasons change.
Ahhh, the age old dilemma. Are you going to do winters on factory wheels(cost to swap tires each season) or get another set of wheels to swap back and forth with(additional cost on top of tires)? Or is it worth more to spend less and put all-seasons on factory wheels and use them all year round? Do you get enough snow to where it makes it necessary to have dedicated snow tires, or is it cleared pretty quickly where you could get away with using all-seasons only?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

That is your call but for your specific situation (A4 Ultra Sport in Denver), I would go for a dedicated winter/summer package only if you plan to drive into the mountains e.g. to go skiing, and a High Performance all-season e.g. Conti DWS06 or similar if you don't.

My rationale here is that Denver gets 300+ days of sunshine a year with temps of up to 60F in winter, and snow is rarely on the ground for more than a day in the city, so that might be a bit too warm for proper winter tires which would feel rather greasy and wear quickly in those conditions -- vs. HPAS tires which would be quite perfect for them from a temperature perspective alone. On the other hand, you will 100% want snow tires to go up Vail Pass during any storm to chase fresh pow so if winter sports are on your list then I would spec what is sometimes called a "performance winter" e.g. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 or similar.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome. Thank you both for the replies. Just called the Audi Dealership near me and got some good advice from them as well. I think I am just going to swap out the tires for some all seasons, since conditions here aren't as bad as I was thinking. Coming from SC, all of this is pretty new to me! Definitely unfortunate, since these summer tires only have ~1200 miles on them, but it is what it is I suppose.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My daughter has lived in Denver for 15 years and yes the weather there is a bit flaky. It can snow a foot there one day and be 70 degrees the next.
weather from the north west brings snow and weather from the southwest, the desert, is much warmer.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Swapped to all-seasons within the first week of ownership. Knew I wasn’t going to use summer tires here in New England and wanted to keep the miles off them for resale.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Thank you both for the replies. Just called the Audi Dealership near me and got some good advice from them as well. I think I am just going to swap out the tires for some all seasons, since conditions here aren't as bad as I was thinking. Coming from SC, all of this is pretty new to me! Definitely unfortunate, since these summer tires only have ~1200 miles on them, but it is what it is I suppose.
Use TireRack to order your tires. Then throw them in your car and have audi do the install.

I recently swapped out my summer tires with michelin p/s+ all seasons. Audi wanted $269 per same tire, where TireRack was significantly cheaper. Audi charged me $200 to put the tires on but didn’t care that I didn’t buy through them.

Go all-season IMO
Old 01-03-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you are a Costco member, I believe its $15/tire to have mounted and balanced.

Quick Reply: Winter tune for A4 Ultra Sport