A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Wiresless Charging Retro Fit Kit

Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiresless Charging Retro Fit Kit

Hi everyone!

I'm an Audi A5 B9 owner, and I also happen to be an engineer who works in the automotive industry!
My car doesn't come with wireless charging module, but the geometric space in the center console looks ideal for a retrofit wireless charging module. I've CAD up a couple designs and sent them to my supplier friends for validation. The retrofit takes 5 seconds to install, and looks like factory too.
The bottom line is I want to make a wireless charging module for my own car, but I'm also wondering if anyone would be interested in buying something to upgrade their car.

It be great to hear some of your opinions and suggestions ... and also let me know if you wanna test the beta product too!

Thanks,
Froggie
Old 05-31-2018, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Initially I was disappointed there was not a wireless charging option. But since I have to plug in for android auto and my girlfriend's phone doesn't support wireless charging the need/ want quickly went away.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Audi makes an accessory charger that seems more of an afterthought than a baked in solution. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ger/8w0051191/
Old 05-31-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the usb ports in the armrest provide enough power for wireless charging? Would the cigarettes lighter provide better power? I would be interested if it works out.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

What does the inside of a car without the wireless charging box look like? Genuinely asking..
Mine came with wireless charging so an OEM part does exist for it.
I use a spare wireless charger at home that would be great in there because it charger a phone off any regular USB port, it's black and also has a rubberised finish to stop the phone from moving about.
CHOETECH 7.5W Wireless Charger Pad for iPhone X/8/8 Plus, Support 10W Fast Wireless Charging for Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8 Plus,S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, S6 Edge+ other Qi-Enabled Devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0796SY3TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cpqeBbJFSKBA0
Old 06-01-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible
Will the usb ports in the armrest provide enough power for wireless charging? Would the cigarettes lighter provide better power? I would be interested if it works out.
Yes, the USB actually provides enough power for wireless charging module. The 12V socket will def provide better power, but its hard to wire also ugly too.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
What does the inside of a car without the wireless charging box look like? Genuinely asking..
Mine came with wireless charging so an OEM part does exist for it.
I use a spare wireless charger at home that would be great in there because it charger a phone off any regular USB port, it's black and also has a rubberised finish to stop the phone from moving about.
CHOETECH 7.5W Wireless Charger Pad for iPhone X/8/8 Plus, Support 10W Fast Wireless Charging for Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8 Plus,S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, S6 Edge+ other Qi-Enabled Devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0796SY3..._cpqeBbJFSKBA0
The inside is just a box shape empty space.
Putting an existing wireless charging pad in there would work and is the easiest solution, but def doesnt look nice, the cable could be messy and also without proper grip the phone will slide easily.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Kind of frustrating that select markets get the wireless charging pad built in. Many cars come with it now, so Audi needs to step it up to make sure we get it in the next iteration year. Especially now that the iPhones (8,etc.) support wireless charging, I don't see why they wouldn't add it on the 2019 model.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

I don't think it's standard in any market. It was included in the paid option Tech Pack in the UK. Its useful because of the mobile signal booster, except that in the UK they removed the booster before the car was delivered!!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried adding a charging pad into the center console and found that it was more trouble than it was worth. It was hard to keep the phone aligned with the charger and it was awkward to insert and remove the phone, especially while driving. It also precludes putting anything else in that center console that might get between the phone and the charging pad or dislodge it.

This solution is working really well for me:

Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiresless Charging Retro Fit Kit