A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Yikes! New Audi almost killed me

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Unfortunately, that's not at all what the "with tolerance" option is about. That option is about letting the car fall below or exceed the set speed in favor of increased efficiency. For example it may not speed up to the posted speed limit if it knows from the map data or in the future vehicle to vehicle communication, that half a mile down the road the speed will be reduced again. I think everybody would like an option for the ACC to not take the speed limits quite as literally and allow to set a 10 over or 5 over rule or something like that.
Not quite. That's partly what the predictive control and predictive efficiency assist is for. The tolerance setting (as we wrote it) was designed to adapt and allow the car to vary speed on hills, etc. But it was also designed to take into consideration what you said and to adjust dynamically to limit changes.

That latter part wasn't implemented despite the data being present. Even with US navigation data my car (with my matrix lights) knows to use AFS, how to aim them, and even take them out of motorway mode before a change in speed. I've seen the metadata and I know it exists.

I don't know why this was left out. I never really handled powertrain development but I know the code base has provisions for it.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
... I know I sound like a broken record, but people really do [need to] (and many times don't) keep a safe distance from the car in front of them, hence so many rear end accidents. I'm hoping that this awakened the guy in back of you enough to make him think twice about doing that again, but its probably wishful thinking on my part.
Speaking of people who drive too close to the cars in front of them, I'm one of those people who firmly believe in the one car length for every 10 mph rule. But on a recent trip to Maryland and Virginia, driving on I-95 and I-495, I found out that I am in the minority.

Many times I was tailgated, even when I was doing well above the speed limit. But I found out a surprisingly effective way to get annoying drivers off my tail. I put on my emergency flashers. And the looks on people's faces are priceless.

I would venture that most people on the road have never seen the B9's pulsating tail lights. When I put on the flashers, several people immediately backed way off from my car. Others look puzzled or confused, but they all made a beeline to another lane.

In my older A4s, I used to put on my rear fog lights, and people thought I was applying my brakes. But the rear fogs in the B9 are not so prominent, so the pulsating flashers do the trick.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Do that in St. Louis and the idjuts just move up closer............
Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Not quite. That's partly what the predictive control and predictive efficiency assist is for. The tolerance setting (as we wrote it) was designed to adapt and allow the car to vary speed on hills, etc. But it was also designed to take into consideration what you said and to adjust dynamically to limit changes.

That latter part wasn't implemented despite the data being present. Even with US navigation data my car (with my matrix lights) knows to use AFS, how to aim them, and even take them out of motorway mode before a change in speed. I've seen the metadata and I know it exists.

I don't know why this was left out. I never really handled powertrain development but I know the code base has provisions for it.
I didn't realize you worked for Audi. The owner's manual only describes the function that I described unless I missed something. Sounds like this needs some more engineering put into it. Along with the false speed limit readings. I don't think this feature as currently implemented is ready for prime time. There have been several reports of the traffic sign recognition picking up a speed limit from a neighboring street and then ACC slows the car the hell down. That's simply unacceptable and very dangerous.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Speaking of people who drive too close to the cars in front of them, I'm one of those people who firmly believe in the one car length for every 10 mph rule. But on a recent trip to Maryland and Virginia, driving on I-95 and I-495, I found out that I am in the minority.

Many times I was tailgated, even when I was doing well above the speed limit. But I found out a surprisingly effective way to get annoying drivers off my tail. I put on my emergency flashers. And the looks on people's faces are priceless.

I would venture that most people on the road have never seen the B9's pulsating tail lights. When I put on the flashers, several people immediately backed way off from my car. Others look puzzled or confused, but they all made a beeline to another lane.

In my older A4s, I used to put on my rear fog lights, and people thought I was applying my brakes. But the rear fogs in the B9 are not so prominent, so the pulsating flashers do the trick.
My windshield seems to get really dirty whenever someone tailgates too closely. So I clean my windows. Oops, did your car get wet behind me?? Good!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
My windshield seems to get really dirty whenever someone tailgates too closely. So I clean my windows. Oops, did your car get wet behind me?? Good!
Haha! Gotta try that!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Haha! Gotta try that!
Unfortunately, it's useless when it rains.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sudden slow down from traffic sign recognition is both annoying AND DANGEROUS as discussed above. I think the problem is two fold:

First, the car only responds as you PASS the sign and it take effect exactly there. It would be nice if the car would recognize the sign ahead of you and allow the vehicle to begin to coast down to the new lower limit. OR - give the driver a setting to make speed adjustments "quickly" or "gradually". (Yes - I'd even click through a "wavier screen" that the gradual slowdown may mean I am technically speeding as I pass the sign. )

Second - the car has GPS and memory. Why can't it REMEMBER where it saw that sign and the next time on the same road begin to slow down gradually before it gets to that spot?

Ideally traffic sign data could be shipped up "to the cloud" and all audi vehicles (that subscribe) could access the data... Kind of like how Waze sends speed info and traffic info...