A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

“Soft top not secure” and top malfunctioning mystery resolved...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default “Soft top not secure” / top malfunctioning mystery resolved...

After having the convertible (2004) for 6 months and operating the top few times a week I encountered the first problem over the weekend. A friend of mine tried to put the top down however while holding the switch she let it go. The top stopped halfway and got locked there. The switch did not respond any more. Blinking top light came on the dashboard. I put the top back with the manual handle near the fuse box, but it didn’t make a difference. Even after manually restoring the top in place, the trunk handle did not function at all nor the “trunk” button on the remote. I didn’t hear the sound after locking the vehicle… something was still not closed properly.

“Soft top not secure” kept coming on the display as I drove for few minutes. The next day I went and checked the fuses (#30 and 35). They looked ok so I thought I’d give it another try with the top. I lowered all the windows first. With the manual handle, I released first the front windshield latches and propped the top up in the front. Then I went back to the rear near the ski sack and gave it another try at tightening the rear deck (I suspected the problem was here due to the malfunctioning of the trunk). After I was done with it, I went to the front again and tightened the latches until the top was back in place.

Sure enough after I started the car the blinking top light went away. The top switch started lowering and closing the top. The trunk functions came back as well. I couldn’t be more pleased with the result so I thought to share. Many of us are without warranty. Saved me hassle of going to the ‘stealer’ and few hundred $$ at least.

Something to note: The manual top handle stored near the fuses is a bit tricky to get used to at first. I think this is the key in closing/securing the rear deck. Once you get a good grip on the handle after the insertion and lock make sure you drive the rear deck all the way down. Otherwise the rear sensor probably does not register, the top still malfunctions and you get the problems with the trunk. Make sure you follow closely the directions in the manual on the handle insertion and locking.

The soft top malfunctioning/locking is a common issue as I read on these forums, so I hope this helps. It is sort of a reset procedure for the top.

Cheers!

Last edited by idge_ca; 02-01-2011 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Leo Esco (08-07-2021)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the pro tip.

FYI, anybody buying a cab second hand pop the fuse cover and make sure this handle is there; I know I moved mine because the hole for it is metal and the metal on metal contact makes a rattling noise. If you don't find it where it's supposed to be ask the owner where it is. Without it, you could be in a tough spot.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by idge_ca
After having the convertible (2004) for 6 months and operating the top few times a week I encountered the first problem over the weekend. A friend of mine tried to put the top down however while holding the switch she let it go. The top stopped halfway and got locked there. The switch did not respond any more. Blinking top light came on the dashboard. I put the top back with the manual handle near the fuse box, but it didn’t make a difference. Even after manually restoring the top in place, the trunk handle did not function at all nor the “trunk” button on the remote. I didn’t hear the sound after locking the vehicle… something was still not closed properly.

“Soft top not secure” kept coming on the display as I drove for few minutes. The next day I went and checked the fuses (#30 and 35). They looked ok so I thought I’d give it another try with the top. I lowered all the windows first. With the manual handle, I released first the front windshield latches and propped the top up in the front. Then I went back to the rear near the ski sack and gave it another try at tightening the rear deck (I suspected the problem was here due to the malfunctioning of the trunk). After I was done with it, I went to the front again and tightened the latches until the top was back in place.

Sure enough after I started the car the blinking top light went away. The top switch started lowering and closing the top. The trunk functions came back as well. I couldn’t be more pleased with the result so I thought to share. Many of us are without warranty. Saved me hassle of going to the ‘stealer’ and few hundred $$ at least.

Something to note: The manual top handle stored near the fuses is a bit tricky to get used to at first. I think this is the key in closing/securing the rear deck. Once you get a good grip on the handle after the insertion and lock make sure you drive the rear deck all the way down. Otherwise the rear sensor probably does not register, the top still malfunctions and you get the problems with the trunk. Make sure you follow closely the directions in the manual on the handle insertion and locking.

The soft top malfunctioning/locking is a common issue as I read on these forums, so I hope this helps. It is sort of a reset procedure for the top.

Cheers!
I have a 2006 Audi A4. This is the second time I have experienced the malfunction with the convertible top. The first time, I did read the owners manual and found the key in the fuse box. I inserted the key in the front and back seat to manual release but the key would only turn 1/4 turn so I didn't force it. I also opened the trunk, flipped the trunk top release back and forth but didn't do any of the things mentioned in the earlier post. That was on a Friday night and Saturday but by Sunday morning it had magically reset and was working again. Now, it's two month later and a Friday, it's happen again. It's now Sunday night and it hasn't reset yet. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Using the Manual Convertible Top Key

I have a 2006 Audi A4. This is the second time I have experienced the malfunction with the convertible top (All the same issues listed in the 2004 Audi's previous post). After reading the owners manual on page 75, I found the key in the fuse box and inserted the key in the top of the ski door port in the back seat. The key takes three processes. 1-insert the key turning it 1/4 turn, 2-tighten up the loose red handle which locks the key in place. 3-turn the key and the trunk convertible top storage compartment pops open. Then simply push down on the storage compartment (you will hear it lock back in place) This should reset the auto-convertible top.

If you are manually securing the top in the front with the key, it is the same process. This should save you headache and money.

Please disregard my previous post when I was replying to the 2004 Audi Post, He was right and I was wrong.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key

is always a good practice to use that key, when the top is opening and you release the switch right at the moment the rear cover unlatch it will get stuck as the control unit does not know the actual position of the top.
always make sure the cover latches specially on the passenger side where the microswitch is located.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have an 06 A4 (recent purchase). The top did not work when I purchased it. I suspected the motor brush issue and have addressed that as of yesterday but the entire system is dead. No sounds, no movment, no alarms. I decided to do the full reset. I unlocked the front of the top with the key from the fuse box, and manipulated both the front and back of the top. Then when trying to unlock the rear cover I ran into problems. I can't get it to unlatch. I can hear linkage moving when I giggle it but I feel like if I turn it harder something will break. My purchase situation leave my not knowing what normal is so I'm gaining experience slowly. Not sure what my next move should be.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default If the resets don't work...

Originally Posted by rhiggins
I have a 2006 Audi A4. This is the second time I have experienced the malfunction with the convertible top (All the same issues listed in the 2004 Audi's previous post). After reading the owners manual on page 75, I found the key in the fuse box and inserted the key in the top of the ski door port in the back seat. The key takes three processes. 1-insert the key turning it 1/4 turn, 2-tighten up the loose red handle which locks the key in place. 3-turn the key and the trunk convertible top storage compartment pops open. Then simply push down on the storage compartment (you will hear it lock back in place) This should reset the auto-convertible top.

If you are manually securing the top in the front with the key, it is the same process. This should save you headache and money.

Please disregard my previous post when I was replying to the 2004 Audi Post, He was right and I was wrong.
Great posts everyone, thank you. They were very helpful. In my case, the resets did not work for me. The local dealership insisted I spend $990 on a new stowage box and that the cracks were the issue. When I asked what the specific problem was, they quoted a sensor on the right side of the bottom of the stowage box, in the trunk. After some troubleshooting (disconnecting the sensor and getting a completely different message - "Stowage Box Not Lowered" or something to that effect, and then tie-wrapping the limit switch on) I found this was not the issue. I went through all of the sensors I could find throughout the convertible top system, and then I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube, and found this one solved the problem for me. In his case the part broke. In mine, it had just come off (or was taken off).

A very simple fix, Part # 8H0-959-613A
Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found the part here. $89.43

8H0959613A - POTENTIOME - ES#447313
Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar issue but with the stowage top micro switch. I had the car in to the dealer (I just didn't have the time to do it myself) for a t-belt job and they also looked at the top not going through a complete cycle. The switch for the cover seems easy enough to replace, and cheap enough to buy, but the dealer tells me they need to "re-calibrate the top system with their computer" - does this sound right? Seems to me the switch does its job and tells the car computer "yep, stowage top is up, continue on".
Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Was wondering if you ever go this resolved

Originally Posted by guyinohio
I also have an 06 A4 (recent purchase). The top did not work when I purchased it. I suspected the motor brush issue and have addressed that as of yesterday but the entire system is dead. No sounds, no movment, no alarms. I decided to do the full reset. I unlocked the front of the top with the key from the fuse box, and manipulated both the front and back of the top. Then when trying to unlock the rear cover I ran into problems. I can't get it to unlatch. I can hear linkage moving when I giggle it but I feel like if I turn it harder something will break. My purchase situation leave my not knowing what normal is so I'm gaining experience slowly. Not sure what my next move should be.

I am experiencing the same thing afraid I will break the key. Did you ever get this resolved?

Quick Reply: “Soft top not secure” and top malfunctioning mystery resolved...