A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

2004 Audi A4 Cab Help me save over $1,000 on a ballast!!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Audi A4 Cab Help me save over $1,000 on a ballast!!

Here's the short n sweet, I've got a melted ballast on my front right headlight, and the local Audi dealership wants to charge me $800 for the ballast and $200 for the single light..

Help a semi broke 21 year old out here, whos just trying to fix up their car for the summer months!

Would buying a whole new replacement headlight off of Ebay be cheaper and would it come with a working Ballast, or maybe even a pair of after markets?

I'm just trying to get some expert opinions as I tried to source a cheaper used part but with no luck since everything online comes with a 100$ shipping charge and probably customs and duties charges.

The part numbers will be in photos!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Just buy a used ballast from ebay or better yet, just go to your local junkyard in Surrey and pull one...there's a LOT! Then buy a new bulb and you'll be set. Shouldn't cost you more than $100

http://importautorecyclers.com/

Heck I can source one from Seattle for about that much, since the B6 platform is so plentiful and a lot places keep these parts. Try CL as well: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/pta?query=a4

Last edited by raj99; 02-23-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The problem is I cant find any A4 Audi cab's in the junk yard, and as far as my mechanic has told me, this is a somewhat specific part, as even he couldn't find it for me from a junked car. (maybe he didn't do enough digging.." I'm just wondering if this ballast "part# 8H0-907-391" is rare to find or something? I've ruffed it through "pick a parts, and other scrapyards" but what from I've seen online my local yards don't have any cabs.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just saw your link, I hopefully I can find something in there!
Thanks.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AaronShepherd2004A4
The problem is I cant find any A4 Audi cab's in the junk yard, and as far as my mechanic has told me, this is a somewhat specific part, as even he couldn't find it for me from a junked car. (maybe he didn't do enough digging.." I'm just wondering if this ballast "part# 8H0-907-391" is rare to find or something? I've ruffed it through "pick a parts, and other scrapyards" but what from I've seen online my local yards don't have any cabs.
Ok let's clarify a few things, what do you need exactly: ballast, ignitor, bulb?

The ignitor you show in the picture actually appears to be one from a Mitsubishi and you might have gotten someone else's aftermarket hack-job: Mitsubishi X6T03071 W3T10871 W3T16373 Igniter Ignitor D2S Xenon Headlight Bulb Socket

AFAIK, the B6 xenon lights are all the same...shouldn't be a difference between the hardtop vs. softop
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
Ok let's clarify a few things, what do you need exactly: ballast, ignitor, bulb?

The ignitor you show in the picture actually appears to be one from a Mitsubishi and you might have gotten someone else's aftermarket hack-job: Mitsubishi X6T03071 W3T10871 W3T16373 Igniter Ignitor D2S Xenon Headlight Bulb Socket

AFAIK, the B6 xenon lights are all the same...shouldn't be a difference between the hardtop vs. softop
The ballast is the part I need as you can see in the second picture the top park of the inside of the socket is actually melted if you look closely, also it is a genuine Audi part, I took it into the dealership and they confirmed it.I also figured I could find the actual light a much lower price than what they invoiced me so I've got that figured out.This is what I mean when I cant find a much better deal online.Genuine VW / Audi HID BALLAST (8H0-907-391 / 8H0907391) is $500 plus $100 Shipping, and whatever Custom fees get added on.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

just googled a couple things.. If this was someone's aftermarket hack-job, could I not just replace the melted ballast/ignitor, not sure about the difference between those two? If so I think I've found the part for a whole lot less through the link you provided, but that just leads me to question why the technicians at Audi would quote me so high!?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lastly in this thought chain, when I google the part that's melted it does come up as Mitsubishi "W3T10871" is what I googled, but all those parts that are for sale, don't have the correct numbers after the initial code, example mine is "W3T10871 3109" as seen in the pictures.The ones on the site or at least in the picture has the ending "2109" or on another site the code at the beginning is correct again, but the find 4 digits/letters are "1Z25"Do those make a difference at all? because I'm only assuming that I would need the same 4 digits on my replacement part "3109"? If not I'd just order one right away and see what happens..
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AaronShepherd2004A4
just googled a couple things.. If this was someone's aftermarket hack-job, could I not just replace the melted ballast/ignitor, not sure about the difference between those two? If so I think I've found the part for a whole lot less through the link you provided, but that just leads me to question why the technicians at Audi would quote me so high!?
What you appear to have is indeed a Mitsubishi part, so if it were me, I'd either get the correct Audi parts and replace the unit or I'd just get the same part number (W3T10871). I don't know about the last 4 digits, but from the looks of things, they appear to be identical to what you have.

This is what your ignitor/bulb should look like in your car:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-flosser-...n10566103~fls/

The Audi tech simply quoted you a brand new AUDI part for the install vs what appears to be someone's attempt to do HIDs in the B6 you have.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

still can't edit posts, so sorry for the chain, it looks like I might've been wrong in what I need I think the ignitor is what I need, and everything online is telling me its a Mitsubishi part but what do I know right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Audi A4 Cab Help me save over $1,000 on a ballast!!