A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Car won't start - related to problems with the roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start - could it be related to roof problem?

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems with my wife's 2009 S4 Cabriolet (last year of the old platform). After sitting un-used for a couple of months due to my wife's knee injury, the roof started giving me problems when I finally took the car out for a ride for the first time in a while. Specifically, the top will go down, but it will freeze/stop when I try to raise the roof. (I had to use the manual "key" to raise the roof).

And now, the car won't start. The battery is fully charged (confirmed by the AAA roadside mechanic); when I turn the key, all the lights on the dash light up, but the car doesn't even attempt to turn over.

My question is....does anyone think that the 2 problems might be related? My mechanic is gonna take a look at the car soon, but I figured I'd bounce this situation off of you guys to see if anyone has had the same problem(s).

Also....as far as the roof problem (will go down automatically, but will not raise back up) - does anyone have any ideas? (motor, pump, relays, sensors, etc., etc).

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Last edited by rboyce; 08-22-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

The top frame sensor fell off
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/fix-g...cabriolet.html
Cheers,
Louis
Old 01-27-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rboyce
Hi everybody.

I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems with my wife's 2009 S4 Cabriolet (last year of the old platform). After sitting un-used for a couple of months due to my wife's knee injury, the roof started giving me problems when I finally took the car out for a ride for the first time in a while. Specifically, the top will go down, but it will freeze/stop when I try to raise the roof. (I had to use the manual "key" to raise the roof).

And now, the car won't start. The battery is fully charged (confirmed by the AAA roadside mechanic); when I turn the key, all the lights on the dash light up, but the car doesn't even attempt to turn over.

My question is....does anyone think that the 2 problems might be related? My mechanic is gonna take a look at the car soon, but I figured I'd bounce this situation off of you guys to see if anyone has had the same problem(s).

Also....as far as the roof problem (will go down automatically, but will not raise back up) - does anyone have any ideas? (motor, pump, relays, sensors, etc., etc).

Thanks in advance.

Ray
If the car won't start in Park or Neutral it could be the BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH under the pedal arm. If the car thinks you are not on the brakes when switching gears it will not allow you to start the car. Reach down and try to "jiggle" it or see if it is not engaging when the pedal is depressed just to get yourself going. See link attached...
Audi Doesn?t Start In Park or Neutral ? Audi
Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roof activity incomplete

Regarding the convertible top issue. Try manual reset procedure; just make sure all your windows are down