A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Glass rear window on conv top falling off

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass rear window on conv top falling off

and not covered under extended certified warranty according to the service advisor.

i am told i need an entire new top $ 1575 at a non-dealer.

any other ideas? thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions...miles on the car? What year?

reason..specifics that its failing?

Is yours a CPO from Audi? Or another brnad of Extended coverage?

Do you have glass coverage on your insurance?

There are many variables and with more inforamation and a little work on your part, this may change.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Default thanks for the reply

i don't know why the glass is becoming detached from the ragtop, but about half of it is.

yes it is a certified extended warranty vehicle from audi. the dealer sez not covered, i put in an e-mail to "customer care".

i will check on the glass coverage with insurance.

any other suggestions would be appreciated. i am looking at $ 1575 to replace the entire top from a non-audi interior shop.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dealer may be looking at it as a Wear Item.

Wear Items are not covered.

You can ask AoA..on the phone, not e-mail...

what for the cab is covered.

Don't even bring in the deaelrship. They tend to sidew with the dealer..so don't bring it up.
Play dumb.

How many miles and what year?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Default 2003 - 40K miles

thanks again
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so you just expired..

you have a new car warranty? 4 years, 50K.

If you are just past the 4 year mark, I'd be on the phone with Audi and ask them to honor it in terms of goodwill.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This literally just happened to me

I bought a 2003 Audi Cab 3.0 45k miles from Miramar Audi in San Diego in March. The car came with the Audi CPO warranty and they said that it had gone through a 300 point inspection and so on....I looked at the inspection checklist and both the rear windshield and convertible top are a part of the inspection.

Anyhow, I called the service center and explained the problem to the rep. He informed me that this was not covered in the CPO warranty. So my next question was how much does it cost for you to glue it back on. He told me that they can't glue it back on b/c it doesnt hold very well adn that I would be in the same position in a couple weeks or months. He told me I needed a new convertible top.

Well, this sent me through the roof. I have had this car for less than 5 months and it was supposed to have gone through a thorough inspection so things like this would not happen. I had put less than 4,000 miles on the car since I bought it. I told him that there was no way in the world that I was going to pay for the new convertible top.

He spoke to his manager who said they needed to speak to an Audi regional manager to determine what they could do for me. They are supposed to call back this afternoon and let me know what they are going to do.

I am hoping they replace it, since the vehicle is less than 5 months old (to me) and that they obviously missed this in their inspection. I should mention that the car has had a couple of other issues that they missed in the inspection. They needed to replace a mounting block for the transmission b/c a day after I got the car I could hear something jiggling around. Also at the same time the oil light kept coming on.

I will let you know what happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Two quick questions, if you don't mind ...

1) Do you wash your Cab yourself, or do you take it to a carwash?

2) Do you see where I'm going with this?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My call with Audi and their proposed solution

They called me yesterday adn said that they would contribute $1000 towards the $4200 new convertible top. I informed them that was completely unacceptable given that I have only had the car for 5 months and that they obviously missed this issue during their CPO inspection. I had brought the car in 2 times within a month of buying the car with complaints of noise (sounded like air was coming into the top) and they blew me off both times. I refuse to pay $4200 to fix a piece of the vehicle that I just bought. I am going to speak to them again today and give them an opportunity to make things right. I assume they will do nothing more, which leaves me with only 2 choices. 1. Pay the $3200 which will never happen or 2. Sue them in small claims court, which is fine with me b/c I am a lawyer adn can do it myself.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Glass rear window on conv top falling off

Same thing recently happened to my nieces 03 Cab, dealer told her she needs to replace the entire top. Wonder how many other 03 owners are beginning to experience the same issue.

Quick Reply: Glass rear window on conv top falling off