A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Just replaced Rotors & Pads - A4 1.8T Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced Rotors & Pads - A4 1.8T Cabriolet

Just replaced the front rotors and pads on our 2006 A4 Cabriolet 1.8T. Obtained parts from Pelican and installation was straight forward. Just thought I'd post a before and after look.
Our Audi has 91k on it and I'm thinking they were done before. None of the bolts I removed were anywhere close to torque, including lug nuts. Just working on breaking in the new parts now.
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How does the new setup feel? Did you to a brake fluid flush too?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Brake flush? You bet.

Had the dealer do it 2 weeks prior on a coupon special.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Chboro
Had the dealer do it 2 weeks prior on a coupon special.
Without the coupon, how much is the cost to pay?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Have brake squeal now, which I never had before

a couple weeks ago the brakes were beginning to squeal so I took the guide pins out and the pads. I cleaned up the guide pins like before, lubed them up with a good quality brake grease, added some paste to the back of the pads and I still get a squeal. Never had a noise with the old rotors and pads. Have just about 100 miles on these pads now. Is it too early to tell? Someone said I need to replace the guide pins with new. I'm having a hard time understanding that one when I never had any noise before. The setup is like in the pictures I posted. ATE premium one rotors, Pagid pads. Pagid is an OEM supplier to Audi. I'll gladly replace the guide pins if that's really where the squeal is coming from. Any ideas out there.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting, did you bed the new brakes properly? I think at 100 miles it's still too early to tell. I was looking to change out the pads to Hawk, but I youtubed the squeal (
) and had 2nd thoughts. Is your squeal as bad as the video? Perhaps try bedding the brakes in again?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Bedding the brakes

That's a pretty annoying squeal you got there. Our Audi is not that bad. Just seems to squeal at low brake pressure. Went out yesterday and did some bedding runs and it seemed to get better. Took it up to about 50mph and braked moderately down to about 10-15mph. Without stopping took it back up to speed and did that 4 times. Next time out I'll do a more aggressive braking sequence from about 60 mph and see how it goes. Maybe I'm too picky, but I got used to no noise.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, just to be clear, that video is not me or an Audi and was just posted as an example of extreme brake squeal. One of my friends who has tried many many different pads, swears by the Hawk pads, but says that the only downside is the squeal. Kids plug their ears when he drives by lol. He said that he has to bed his pads about once a week to keep the noise down, but I think that's a bit much.

From what I've read it seems that 8 runs from 60 mph down to 10 mph should be sufficient.
How to Bed Your New Brakes Properly | Europa Parts Blog

FYI I get light squealing on my stock pads too. When I bled my brakes a couple of weeks ago, I disassembled the rotor and cleaned everything out with brake cleaner and lubed the slider pins and did the bedding procedure above which helped with pedal feel and noise. After 2 weeks of commuting, I get very light squealing once in a while. Since you mentioned that you only have 100 miles on all new rotors and pads I'd say it just needs to be broken in a bit. Also going through the bedding again with 8-10 runs might help.

Last edited by jminchoi; 05-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Roughly a 5 month update on the brake job

Actually the little bit of squeal I was having stopped around 2 months ago. I don't drive it that often 'cause it's the wife's Audi. Brakes are great. They feel better, and I believe have alittle shorter stopping distance. The combination I chose does have a little more brake dust to contend with but they look great and work great as well. If I remember I'll do a year review on them with pics of what pad life is left at that time.