A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Lurching@ low RPMs '03 Cab 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurching@ low RPMs '03 Cab 3.0

Hi All.

Have 03 A4 Cab 3.0. Bought it new and have kept up w/ service impeccably as it's my daily driver.

Recently, it's doing something that's stumping me and the mechanic. At low RPM's (stop-n-go heavy traffic, or just when you accelerate from a stop), it "lurches" so much so, that at first I thought someone tapped my bumper! During these periods, even if I'm stopped, the RPM needle moves as if I'm giving it gas. It will go all the way up to 2 sometimes. When moving, it stops doing this when you get past 1.2 RPMs. And it's intermittent.

There were codes; my mechanic found a coil out and oil in the spark plugs. Also there was something off w/ the transmission mount. All were fixed, and the car ran great had more pep thanks to the coil) and then it happened again.
Never any svc lights coming on, until this past Friday night. The lurching was so bad, I put it in neutral while costing in traffic (no more lurching when doing that, but RPM needle still wonky). Last Fri, the battery light comes on and then BAM - no power and stalled in lanes on the fwy. While awaiting tow, I tried turning it on again and it did turn over so I could limp off to a side shoulder.

Towed home; tow guy ran codes and it came up w/ nothing but a "green light," meaning it didn't detect anything. And the car now started and I could reposition it on the driveway! Didn't trust it so the next morning had it towed to the mechanic where it's at now.

I thought it had something to do w/ air /oxygen intake. Could it be a MAF sensor? Any ideas? Other than, "Get a new car!!"

Thanks,
Jill
Old 03-27-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It does sound like a problem that I had

The codes would implicate a coil, but it's random because of being mis-firing. It's never the coils.

http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/a4-b6...-problems.html
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/repla...t-3-0l-v6.html

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for your reply, Louis! I forwarded them & the links to my mechanic.
Appreciate your reply!

Best,
Jill
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, this has been one pain in the *** problem over the course of many months.

So much so that I went and bought another car while still trying to figure out the Audi. I know - I'm a glutton...but I still love my old car, though this will likely be my last & only Audi.

We think we got it fixed! Bottom line, we replaced the pcv valve (found many problems in 1.8T's in the UK & issues in the US, but they don't seem to involve 3.0s).

Mechanic removed it and it rattled in his hand - apparently the spring broke?

If any of you ever get a bad case of the lurches, message me I may be able to help.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

You've had quite a few adventures with that car. I think we both bought 3.0 Cabs at about the same time -- they were both new 2003's. I salute you for your loyalty to that car. I personally traded mine in for a new 2011 A4 sedan when my rear window went through the separation routine from the top. I drew the line there, and said "enough." Besides, my child had long since outgrown the Cab's cramped back seat, so a larger, more reliable car was needed. I still miss the top-down rides, though. And the pure styling of the B6 Cab is still alluring.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Brian!

Loyalty or stupidity? Hmm...!

Yes, we did buy at the same time! This was my first ever new car, and I thought that if I took super good care of it and treat it properly, it could go the distance of 200K miles easy.
Almost had it lemon lawed in the first 6 mo (new tranny, etc).

This will be my last Audi. But you're right - I just like the doggone car better than anything new I could afford.

I ended up finding an 09 Lexus SC430 hardtop conv w/ super low miles (the back "seat" and "trunk" makes the 03 Cabs look spacious!). I've always liked that car so I just pounced on it once it passed muster w/ the mechanic. It's my mid-life crisis car. Already am scoping out a couple mods I want to do to it. So now I have 2 cars...might sell the Audi but to be honest, I wouldn't mind keeping it.

How do you like your 2011 sedan?? You still like Audi's I see! Have you had any issues with it? Great styling, aren't they?

Take care and have a Happy 4th!

Last edited by xaviexavie; 07-16-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi again. I also thought that my Cab would reward good care with reliable service. I thought that for the first three weeks, until the fourth week came and the dealer had to replace my CVT transmission! I never got over that.

My 2011 is the best car I've ever owned. The 2.0 turbo engine is very strong, especially in the low RPM range. The 8-speed transmission with paddle shifters and a sport setting on the transmission is superb. I have the sport suspension option, and it handles beautifully. It's responsive and wonderfully balanced and agile. I also have the Premium+ and navigation options, and the car feels very complete fitted out that way. I went through a period where the car was burning a quart of oil every 2400 miles, but the dealer did what's called a Stage One check on oil consumption, which changes out the PCV valve and the engine seals. It's now burnt half a quart in 5,000 miles. A further remedy if needed is Stage Two, consisting of new pistons or a new engine. All of these Stages are free of charge, per a settlement in a class action lawsuit involving 2009-2011 A4s with the 2.0 T engine.

I expect to either give the A4 to my son, should he ask for it, or keep it into the far future, should he want a different car (he's in the military, and I'm doing this as my salute to him, in part). I would have loved to have kept my Cabriolet, but the Audi dealer gave me a good trade-in value for it 7 years ago when I traded it in on the new A4 I'd ordered from the factory. I'm sure that trade-in value has diminished in those 7 years, perhaps to the point where the joy of driving a uniquely beautiful car you have many memories invested in, with its top down on a warm Southern California evening, would exceed the money value you'd receive by selling it to some stranger.

Last edited by Brian Cecil; 07-03-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Brian.

You are SO right regarding the trade in value! Too funny that we both had new trannies put in.
Glad you got a great car in your new Audi.

Congrats on your son and please thank him for his service!