A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

New Car Nitemare

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Nitemare

Hi all... I just received my new Audi Cabriolet 1.8t the end of March and I already have a problem and need some thoughts. I tried the car's top last Monday and it went half way and stopped. I took it back to the dealer and after examination, they have determined that the car must have hit a pothole due to rim damage on both right tires. I personally can't think of an incident where I hit any pothole with it and I am probably hypersensitive to things like this with a new car. The claim is that the top isn't working because sensors feel the car was in an accident so it disabled the top. There is no damage to the suspension or even marks on the tires.. just rim damage. The dealer said it is non-warranty work and could cost $3000+. Does this make any sense to anyone? Could the dealer have damaged the rims before I even bought it? They claim the initial computer inspection never recorded the fault. Would the computer really find this at delivery to the dealership? Should I take them to court over this if they won't budge? ALso.. does it make any sense that these "sensors" that disabled the top wouldn't work immediately and could find the problem days after an incident? Any thoughts or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I could probably post pictures of the wheel damage if someone thinks it would help.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2003, 10:02 PM

Default Re: New Car Nitemare

Hi!

It sounds like a realy bad excuse from the dealer. Why should the top only go half way when the car is in "accident mode". If this is the case, then the top should be totally disabled. Another thing is, that if the car thinks it is in accident mode, just because of a pot hole, then there is still something wrong with the car. A car shouldn't be that sensitive.

Try to post some pictures of the wheel.

Br
Caver
Old 04-22-2003, 11:18 PM

Doesn't make sence at all. Sue them!
Old 04-23-2003, 12:03 AM

Where are you ?? ( UK ?? USA?? etc) I would go above the dealer and go to the Audi importers customer care line...
Old 04-23-2003, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Your getting SCREWED, listen to me!

MY top had the same problem, broke 7 times, finally, I made the dealership get me a new car, which they did under the lemon law. Saying it is a not covered under the warentee is total deception. I feel really bad, because my dealership replaced my entire top to try to fix it, and to everyones dissmay, still wouldnt work, so good luck.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:25 AM

Default Mines jammed 1/2 down too...

roadside recovery got it sorted and been fine since, but it clearly does happen.

i agree with the rest, if it was accident sensors, why operate half a cycle then stop? Sounds like BS to me...
Old 04-23-2003, 01:02 AM

I assume you're in the US. But in the UK, there were some incidents of Audi cars on transporters having alloy rims damaged by straps and buckles. The most obvious mark was the strap webbing rubbing away the lacquer and when the rim got hot, a dark patch appears, but I've heard of damaged alloys by buckles hitting the rim. This would explain no accident being logged and damage to your rims.

I'd get the dealer to show you the on board computer log that links an accident being logged to the roof being disabled. If they can't demonstrate this, there is no evidence to link the 2 alleged events.

It all sounds like BS to me with a dealer making up excuses. At worst, if there's a stalemate, they should contribute, but if they refuse to budge, I'd sue.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:24 AM

Default What is wrong with Audi's after service????

I must agree, bad excuse from the dealer.

I have never had any problems with my top, but seams like I have had the rest of the problems there are on the A4 Cab.
I must say; I'm not only disappointed about the service, I'm very disappointed.
It is like Audi Service centre, thinks that all problems are going to be solved by it self.
When they replace something under warranty, they do not go all way, they only do it half, to save money!!! And then you have to go back to the dealer another time, to get it solved again.

All the problems I have had, my dealer agrees totally with me. He clearly says; "yes this is a problem"
Do I then get is solved! No, because Audi will check, and hear other experiences from other countries!!
I started in November 2002 with my first letter to Audi ( my dealer agreed with me ) after 3 more letters, I now have an appointment with 2-3 special Audi technicians the 29th of April....After 5 month, they will finally look at the car, even though my dealer agreed with me in November, that my suspension was wrong.
If you ask me: WHAT A **** SERVICE.

What do you think it would have cost Audi, to fix the problem first hand in November?
Now I have spend 5 month, with a car that is not ok! And I have talked **** about the car to friends and people who have asked me!
Audi could have closed the story in November!!
Seams like the people in charge of the after service, have no idea of the effect go mouth-to-mouth talk!

I still like the car, but I'm not going to invite the Service Department from Audi for dinner, and they will not get any X-mas presents from me this year....
Old 04-23-2003, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Doesn't make sence at all. Sue them!

My friend picked up a new TT at the start of March, it had a damaged alloy which was missed by the PDI. He saw it when he picked it up from the dealer.

They have now replaced the alloy and even given him the old one as a spare.

I think that the excuse they have given is pathetic. Contact the Audi head office in States and complain. Find out what your consumer rights are and threaten them with legal action if they don't acknowledge your complaint. Don't let them get away with it.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 AM

Default My hood has failed twice ....

.. in the half down/up position. The dealer has said there is no recorded log of this happening, and at first I don't think believed me. However they have now said they will change all the sensors to try and prevent it happening again.

Have you tried fully opening and closing the hood again manually? That is what I had to do to 'reset' the sensors.

What I don't understand at all though is the explaination they have given you. If all that has happened is the sensors have disabled the hood because they think they car has been in an accident, then surely they just need resetting? How does that cost $3000? Even replacing the sensors would be way cheaper than that. You could probably replace a whole hood for $3000.

Fight hard.

Quick Reply: New Car Nitemare